What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfbacks - split from Michael Lett Thread.

parra pete

Referee
cardinal said:
Not at all, I think it's great for different opinions to be shared, what annoys me is the criticisim of young players like Tim who are finding their feet in the game and who may or may not make it. They are easy targets as young players who have not yet had the experiance or had enough exposure to the highest level of coaching, yet you are quick to write Tim off who is not just playing in a position such as a Greg Inglis or a Hayne where they can play off the top of their head and natural ability is enough, he is in the most important position on the field and has to guide the team around,this is a skill that takes time to develope. Sterling and Johns both took time and were given time to become the players they were, and as true Eels fans I think we should sit back and support every young player we have instead of giving smars arse comments every time Tim Smith's name is mentioned, becomes a bit boring :roll: that's all.

A difference of opinion does not necessarily mean comments are 'smart arse'
I find it boring how he is lauded as the messiah when he really is just a naughty boy. :lol:
I'm prepared to give Tim Smith time to develop..Premier League would be a good place for him to start again to 'recapture' his form of 2005.

I was using the Photo as a Bit of a Lark. I was not using it as Definitive Proof that he runs to the line. I know he runs to the line, I have seen it. Belly is right he doesn't do it all the time but he does do it.

parra pete said:
I'm prepared to give Tim Smith time to develop..Premier League would be a good place for him to start again to 'recapture' his form of 2005.

See I don't see why? He will have the entire off season and the Trials to play into some sort of form before the start of the Comp. His Form before his shoulder injury was great, he guided the team around the park quite well against the Raiders and the Knights up from a spell. He would have "come back" through reggies if Jeremey Smith wasn't Injured.

He is now the first Choice half back at the club, and while I rate Blake Green, I think he is a better 5/8th then Half back. I would think Finch will be a better 5/8th at the start of the season then Green, and could only see Blake getting a run this year if Finch or Timmy is injured, either as a direct replacement for Finch or Finch to Half and Green to 5/8th if Timmy is out.

strider

Post Whore
Hollywood Jesus said:
I must disagree with that photo - running into tackling bags is regular training for everyone. It doesn't say much about anything, really.
true - and generally he won't have to deal with short, aging, balding opponents like that picture :lol:

BUT I think the fact timmy has bulked up is an EXTREMELY good sign for his defense and his chances of running the ball more and not being worried about being smashed.

And frankly I get sick to death of the constant questioning of him - tbh its f**king annoying - lay the f**k off and at least give him till next season to prove himself ..... just like 2005's form means nothing, 2006 is now history too!

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
true - and generally he won't have to deal with short, aging, balding opponents like that picture :lol:

BUT I think the fact timmy has bulked up is an EXTREMELY good sign for his defense and his chances of running the ball more and not being worried about being smashed.

And frankly I get sick to death of the constant questioning of him - tbh its f**king annoying - lay the f**k off and at least give him till next season to prove himself ..... just like 2005's form means nothing, 2006 is now history too!

I totally agree but I must say there is a little bit of pressure on him.
Rookie of the Year in 2005, Crap player of the year in 2006.
He has 1 season to prove what a lot of people are saying about him.
Otherwise.........anyone heard of Michael Witt??

Suity

Suitman said:
Otherwise.........anyone heard of Michael Witt??

Suity

And for the life of me Timmy is faaaaar a better player than Michael Witt. He is NRL standard so hopefully he brushes last year off and settles down a bit to play some good footy.

Suitman

Post Whore
Belly in Brisvegas said:
And for the life of me Timmy is faaaaar a better player than Michael Witt. He is NRL standard so hopefully he brushes last year off and settles down a bit to play some good footy.

I hope so too.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
I think the big thing is the fact that Brian Smith is no longer here. Take a look at the halfbacks we have had in the ten years Brian has been here and they have pretty much always had trouble in their second season for one reason or another. While Tim has had some off field problems I think a coach who isn't as intense as Smith can only benefit Timmy, not to mention Finch.....

Parra Guru

Coach
god this whole pete v timmy arguement is becoming so old and has taken over too many threads. Can we limit it to this one?

If you don't agree with pete you don't have to.

parra pete

Referee
I feel like the kid who is going left when everyone else is going right, and his Mum says, "Look, everyone is marching out of step except my boy Petey"

:lol:

yy_cheng

Coach
Hey Pete, although I don't fully agree with you, I do agree that each player has their own weaknesses and if they are working on it (especially at such a young age), I will give them a chance.

So for mine, keep posting away !!!

Parra Guru

Coach
pete i understand where you're coming from, keep at it.

i hated petersen enough and he eventually went awat

caylo

Bench
parra pete said:
My thoughts exactly...When you're faced with running at, say Rueben Wiki, it tends to make you think again..Put in a cut out pass - or lob a kick over to a winger...anything to get the ball out of your hands. :lol:
I SINCERELY hope he does develop a running game and be prepared to take a few tackles for his mates. It would give his game a whole new outlook.

hold up, do you remember in 2005, he ran to the line, got poll axed by carrol, got up and kept going... he didnt ge scared, he didnt chicken out. You have no right to imply he shoves his work load on others. In 2005 he held the ball ran to the line, then threw a pass, wether it be long or short ball. in 06 he lost his confidence, but that took us a few weeks of lossing first. he threw the pass to early, tried to hard to make things happen, he was under preasure... i hate how people make claim he has no running game, because he does... he underused it in 2006. He isn't the quickest bloke, he will not make many breaks like thurston does, he uses his running game differently. When in full form, he will attract defenders and then throw a pass for a hole runner. Tim Smith forta is his passing game, he throws the long and short ball both off his hip, making it impossible to predict if he will throw a long or short ball, this with the vision the kid has is why he will do well, he just has to learn to grind wins and not panic, he is young still that will come

Eelementary

Post Whore
parra pete said:
My thoughts exactly...When you're faced with running at, say Rueben Wiki, it tends to make you think again..Put in a cut out pass - or lob a kick over to a winger...anything to get the ball out of your hands. :lol:
I SINCERELY hope he does develop a running game and be prepared to take a few tackles for his mates. It would give his game a whole new outlook.

I would not expect ANY halfback to actually look forward to running into Ruben Wiki, Adrian Morley or Fuifui Moimoi...It's suicide to do so. Hell - even fellow props hate the notion of running at Wiki, Morley and Moimoi, and they're way bigger than any halfback.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yup, as long as the forwards lay a platform working out from our area together with smart work from our hookers, followed by a good clearing kick.

Then with good field position, Timmy should excel.