What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halves for next year?

ParraFan09

Juniors
The reason I say that Springs as that the comments are so ridiculous it's laughable to somebody been around playing rugby league for over 30 years, that's why? I don't know it all but I do know when somebody doesn't know what their talking about.
How many games have you played Springs?
I'll be the first to put my hand up & say i'm wrong if he plays well next year but based on last year I don't think so. Maybe I like my wingers to be big, fast, & aggresive who like eating up metres in the middle of the ruck in the early tackles on kick returns to help the forwards out. Wingers do as many hitups as the front rowers these days but our golden boy who can't do no wrong won't do one & if he does he gets dominated. Watch the games next year & watch his performances in this area.

Maybe Kung Fu Chengy
We dont need Burt taking hit ups in the middle of the park, we have Grothe, Reddy & Tahu who can all do that, Aslong as he does his scoots out of dummy half he will be doin his fair share, and to say he gets dominated every time is a bit over the top. He's a great finisher which is what we need in our team players who can find the line that is Burt down to a tee. And you said that 84 baby "doesnt know nothing about rugby league" hahah if you knew so much you would know that Luke Burt is one of the best wingers at kick returns, always gets us in a good position to start our sets.

mrpwnd

Bench
You don't know nothing about Rugby League 84 Baby. Your comments prove it. Stop embarresing yourself.

Let's get one thing straight Luke Burt is not one of the best wingers in the game.

Morris, Uate, Tiquiri, Nightingale, Grothe, Perrett, Gordon to name a few are better than Burt. Read the stats on Burt's 2010 season it was atrocious. You're only as good as your last year & he played as a passenger. Too small for good wing play. Better suited to fullback but Hayne is our fullback.
Perrett? Pfft, you lost your credibility the moment you mentioned him.
Other than that you've listed all the bloody form wingers of 2010, you expect us to be able to have the 2 top wingers every year? Maybe once you've stopped fantasizing over Tuqiri big penis, you can get rid of all the sh*t infecting your brain.

IFR33K

Coach
Perrett? Pfft, you lost your credibility the moment you mentioned him.
Other than that you've listed all the bloody form wingers of 2010, you expect us to be able to have the 2 top wingers every year? Maybe once you've stopped fantasizing over Tuqiri big penis, you can get rid of all the sh*t infecting your brain.

Perrett is rated by his peers from opposition as 1 of the hardest players to tackle. Take what u want from that statement.

SeftonBoy

Juniors
We dont need Burt taking hit ups in the middle of the park, we have Grothe, Reddy & Tahu who can all do that, Aslong as he does his scoots out of dummy half he will be doin his fair share, and to say he gets dominated every time is a bit over the top. He's a great finisher which is what we need in our team players who can find the line that is Burt down to a tee. And you said that 84 baby "doesnt know nothing about rugby league" hahah if you knew so much you would know that Luke Burt is one of the best wingers at kick returns, always gets us in a good position to start our sets.

Mate you watch different games to what I watch. Burt gets dominated every tackle. His scoots out of dummy half are scarce. Do yourself a favour & look at the NRL stats for wingers for 2010.

PLayer Hit Ups All Run Metres Tackles Tries Games
Burt 128 924 56 7 22
Grothe 113 914 25 2 8
Inu 225 1851 87 11 21

Luke Burt ran not even 10 lenghts of a football field in 22 games. Disgraceful. Eric Grothe is 10 metres off him & only played 8 games.
Average Hit Ups per game Burt 5.8 Grothe 14.1 Inu 10.7
He doesn't do enough of the hard work. I could stand out on the wing & just wait for the ball to come to me. He did score a few good individual tries this year but also a lot went begging because the guy isn't big enough to beat 2-3 guys to the line.

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Perrett is rated by his peers from opposition as 1 of the hardest players to tackle. Take what u want from that statement.

Perrett always beats the first man because of his strength & gets the Roosters set of six going forward. Just goes to show that mrpwnd doesn't know what he's talking about it because his thoughts are all clouded with Lote shoving his dick into his girl's mouth.

mrpwnd

Bench
Players also voted Gidley as the 'players player'.
Look how well that went for origin.

mrpwnd

Bench
Mate you watch different games to what I watch. Burt gets dominated every tackle. His scoots out of dummy half are scarce. Do yourself a favour & look at the NRL stats for wingers for 2010.

Burt 128 924 56 7 22
Grothe 113 914 25 2 8
Inu 225 1851 87 11 21

Luke Burt ran not even 10 lenghts of a football field in 22 games. Disgraceful. Eric Grothe is 10 metres off him & only played 8 games.
He doesn't do enough of the hard work. I could stand out on the wing & just wait for the ball to come to me. He did score a few good individual tries this year but also a lot went begging because the guy isn't big enough to beat 2-3 guys to the line.
What do you want the Eels to do?
Burt is our best option for the club atm, you think we can just pull out a magical contract from a hat and pull a Morris/Nightingale/Tuqiri out of our ass?
It's going to be even worse now that Inu's gone.
Sio and Loko don't even play on the wing, you don't just put big blokes on the wing because you have a fetish for big wingers.
You can complain about Burt all you want, but he's all we have and he'll be there till retirement unless we somehow convince Folau to come back from AFL and sign Uate.

Eelementary

Post Whore
If you say so...

I just don't buy into the weighting of the whole "Won a World" cup thing when comparing him to a coach with Anderson's record. To me, their records are chalk and cheese.

Anderson:
1994: Coached Parramatta's Harold Matthews side to the title.
1995-1998: Parramatta Eels Development Officer.
1999: Coached Parramatta's First Division (Reserve Grade) to the title.
2000: Assistant Coach under Brian Smith for Parramatta's NRL team.
2001-2004: Coached the NZ Warriors. Became the first coach to get them to the top 8 (2001). Coached them to the GF (runners-up) in 2002 & won Dally M Coach of the Year (2002).
2004-2005: Coach of NZ National Team.
2006-2008: Coached St Helens in the ESL, winning the Challenge Cup 2006, 2007 & 2008, winning the SuperLeague title in 2006, BBC Coach of the Year (2006), winning the World Club Challenge in 2007, runner up in the 2007 & 2008 SuperLeague GF's.
2009-2010: Parramatta Eels NRL Coach. NRL Runners Up in 2009 (first coach to get a team to the GF from 8th place since the inception of the McIntyre System).

Kearney:
2006-2010: Assistant coach for the Melbourne Storm (under Craig Bellamy).
2008-present: NZ National Coach, coached NZ to the Rugby League World Cup title in 2008 (assisted by Wayne Bennett).

If our starting halves next year are 6. Humble & 7. Robson (with a view to easing Murray into the role), then we have a chance - slim but a chance all the same.

Barring some sort of miracle, I think we are in for a LONG season in 2011. As previously stated, I will always follow my Eels but my expectations would have been higher had Anderson stayed.

WOE

But Kearney hasn't had the opportunity to coach First Grade yet, so we can't really compare.

I rate Anderson, but all I wa saying was that he unfortunately has never won an NRL Premiership, and neither has Kearney. I would have liked for Anderson to have stayed, but they felt the need to get rid of him. But they didn't sign someone like, say, Michael Hagan again - a guy who fluked a Premiership because of the team he inherited. No, they went out and signed a guy who was big wraps on him by a lot of prominent people in the sport.

We will see if the gamble pays off, I guess.

Uncle Leo

Juniors
Burt is our best option for the club atm, you think we can just pull out a magical contract from a hat and pull a Morris/Nightingale/Tuqiri out of our ass?
Sio and Loko don't even play on the wing, you don't just put big blokes on the wing because you have a fetish for big wingers.
You can complain about Burt all you want, but he's all we have and he'll be there till retirement unless we somehow convince Folau to come back from AFL and sign Uate.

Mate, Seftonboy has some problem with Burt. I suspect it wouldn't matter if Burty scored a winning try in a GF, Seftonboy would still bag him!
Go figure:crazy:

Eelementary

Post Whore

Kenny Sio is a winger. But whether or not he's ready to step up is another question entirely.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The reason I personally place so much emphasis on winning a World Cup when you're not coaching the Aussies is because of exactly that - you're not coaching the Aussies; you're coaching against the best of the very best, not with them.

So it must say something that he was able to lead them to victory.

But back on topic:

I think we'll start off with 6. Mortimer 7. Robson again.

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Other clubs seem to find good young fast big aggresive wingers but we hang onto to the over the hill Burt because he's cheap. Give Sio a go & see if he can cut it. Give Atkins a go. We didn't sign a guy from Qld to play for Wenty. He might as well stayed up there & played Qld Cup which is a better comp than NSW Cup. I can't understand how people can give this guy the thumbs up after the season he had this year. Very poor.

boxhead

First Grade
Sefton, did you watch the first 13 rounds of the competition?
No?
Judging from your comments you obviously didn't.

ParraFan09

Juniors

Burt 128 924 56 7 22
Grothe 113 914 25 2 8
Inu 225 1851 87 11 21

He doesn't do enough of the hard work I could stand out on the wing & just wait for the ball to come to me. He did score a few good individual tries this year but also a lot went begging because the guy isn't big enough to beat 2-3 guys to the line.
So you would rather the Eels sign a player that played good for one year (2010) over Burt who has been consistanly solid for a few years now?
And i said early that's not burts job to get in the middle and take hitups thats grothe's job, think about the last few years especially 2009, how many linebreaks Burt made by roaming around the middle with the tired forward, how many times did we see hayne, robson or morts put him through a hole up the middle or MK or Kingston out of dummy half put him through a cap, thats Burts role within the team, and im sure Burty would be the first to put his hand up and say he wasnt fantastic this season. If it was hayne whos form was a little bit down would we even be havin this discussion?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I understand where Sefton is coming from.

At the same time, the only thing I'd like to see Burt really improve on is his bomb defusals. I can accept that due to his size his one-on-one tackles won't ever be his greatest asset, and I can accept that his dummy-half runs won't be brilliant because of said size disadvantage again. But in my opinion, if he can fix his willingness to put his body on the line, it will make him even harder to drop. He has a lot of skill and pace and we all know he can kick. Work on his bomb defusals and I think we'd all be happier.

mrpwnd

Bench
I understand where Sefton is coming from.

At the same time, the only thing I'd like to see Burt really improve on is his bomb defusals. I can accept that due to his size his one-on-one tackles won't ever be his greatest asset, and I can accept that his dummy-half runs won't be brilliant because of said size disadvantage again. But in my opinion, if he can fix his willingness to put his body on the line, it will make him even harder to drop. He has a lot of skill and pace and we all know he can kick. Work on his bomb defusals and I think we'd all be happier.
I can't really blame him for not willing to put his body on the line nowadays.
The last few times he did he actually copped a hard knee on his ass cheek. I'd wager that sh*t would hurt more than any season ending injury, excluding a ruptured testicle that Pete Wallace got a few years back.
But on a good day, he can contest bombs pretty well, I really wonder what happened to the 09 Burt.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't disagree. I've seen him take some great bombs and cop some heavy hits. And he always gets back up for more.

At this stage, I myself am willing to forget his 2010 season as a whole - I am willing to forget the whole team's performances, as I truly believe the "vibe" around the joint was not a positive one and the team struggled majorly.

If Burty plays in 2011 like he did in the second half of this season then I think questions can be asked.

mrpwnd

Bench
I don't disagree. I've seen him take some great bombs and cop some heavy hits. And he always gets back up for more.

At this stage, I myself am willing to forget his 2010 season as a whole - I am willing to forget the whole team's performances, as I truly believe the "vibe" around the joint was not a positive one and the team struggled majorly.

If Burty plays in 2011 like he did in the second half of this season then I think questions can be asked.
Maybe he's still got a big purple mark on his right ass cheek.
I'm telling you mate, that sh*t must hurt.

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Exactly right Eelementary. The first thing I noticed about Burt was his reluctance to take a bomb. I thought he looked a bit tentative & while I'm not saying he was scared - he looked scared. Not physically but scared to make a mistake which is an attitude you can't have. Then I noticed that every time he took a dummy half run he got dominated & sometimes pushed back 5-10 metres or submitted resulting in a slow play the ball. The Parramatta set of six was on the backfoot straight away. Then after getting frustrated with the guy I looked at the his stats & they are terrible reading compared to other NRL wingers. I compare him to other NRL wingers because that's who he plays against & should be judged against. You can't say only have Grothe doing the hitups & Burt's job is to just stand out on the wing & wait for things to happen for him. It's all shoulders to the wheel.

Boxhead - I did watch the first 13 rounds very intently & Burt never set the house on fire. Read the NRL stats for wingers & see where he sits on metres gained & hitups overall. Abominal.

ParraFan09 - Hayne is a freak but I thought he had a low season except for a purple patch for 6 weeks or so after Origin. I think he tries to do it all because other guys don't take some responsilibiliy letting him to play his natural game.

Latest posts