What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardest Pre-Season Ever

randomdragon

Juniors
For people that know what is the point in this? I get that teams usually focus on defence but what’s the point in the whole camp thing and only attacking?

denis preston

First Grade
Exactly. They also will need a full week in camp somewhere else to concentrate on their defence!
That was the most dissapointing factor last year.You can talk about all the excuses we may have had but attitude is everything in defense and we just didnt have it. The new signings and letting players go is a reaction to this and a warning to all of what the coaches will & will not tolorate. We fix this and it will go a long way towards us making the 8.

Gareth67

First Grade

Geeze , we only just got by finishing season 2021 by the skin of our teeth and I was looking forward to having players from all clubs competing next year without the ugly shadow of the virus hanging over their heads .

With this latest strain of the virus , it now appears that we will once again be walking the tightrope in season 2022 .

Last edited:
Ba , humbug !

Why you young whippersnappers wouldn’t know what a hard pre-season was . I remember when Johnny Raper was captain coach of the Dragons back in the sixties and he would take his players out on a early morning run . The poor sods would run for miles with telegraph poles on their backs - or was that they would run pass telegraph poles for miles ? Er well whatever - you know what I mean , but they were the days when a man trained hard !

You only need to look at the seasons results to realize just how much that macho training benefited the players . None of this whishy- washy running around the bluudy oval and then stopping for a GatorbluudyAde business .

Men were men back then , after their run they would stop at nearest corner pub and have a few schooners- purely for medicinal purposes only mind you and then back to Kogarah to do 500 push-ups .

Perhaps that’s what our blokes need nowadays , who knows , it may just take the Big Red V into a new golden age !

Wasn't there a story at how Gould was on a road run when playing for Newtown - he got well behind the others as he was somewhat crook during the run and caught a bus to finish the run.- I recall he was caught by a a few of the players exiting the bus?

I thought that's where he got the Gus nickname from - the Paul Simon song -50 ways to leave your lover

Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much

Looxury- Ah remember in mah day we had to get up at 4.00am, no money so had gravel for breakfast, did a 60km barefoot run from Wollongong to Kogarah getting run over on the Freeway and then when ambulance arrived at Jubilee oval we had to drag semitrailer around oval ten times and then coach would bollock us for taking short cuts before we set off on the 60Km limp home. We came last that season but bah goom we were fit .

Today's young footballers don't know how good they've got it.

( With apologies to the three Yorkshiremen)
That's nothing back in my day we had to run for 24 hours 6 1/2 days a week for most of the pre-season - we had to consume our meals/drinks on the run / sleep whilst running / do our business on the run and bath by crawling along the ground under sprinklers.

Gareth67

First Grade
Wasn't there a story at how Gould was on a road run when playing for Newtown - he got well behind the others as he was somewhat crook during the run and caught a bus to finish the run.- I recall he was caught by a a few of the players exiting the bus?

I thought that's where he got the Gus nickname from - the Paul Simon song -50 ways to leave your lover

Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Yes I do recall something about that occurring M.S proves that the bloke had the brains working just fine even then . 😳

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
In my last year of school in Canberra we had to do a ten mile cross country which of course no one wanted to do. One boys father drove a semi trailer tipper so he picked up about twenty of us near the Mugga Way tip and drove us about five miles before we all jumped out to complete the run. Great memories

Old Timer

Coach
We used to hang back & wait for the milk man who had a Toyota tray body fitted out with sliding doors on the side
He was good for a few Km’s on a cold winters night
Got the shits if we drank his milk and didn’t heave a few bob behind.

possm

Coach
That's nothing back in my day we had to run for 24 hours 6 1/2 days a week for most of the pre-season - we had to consume our meals/drinks on the run / sleep whilst running / do our business on the run and bath by crawling along the ground under sprinklers.

Latest posts