What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

• Yes

Votes: 66 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raider Ultra

Bench
What the f*ck is that meant to mean? That someone of an ethnic background wouldn't know what it means to be 'Australian"? Perhaps you would like the "White Australia Policy" re-introduced you f*cking bumpkin redneck. No ones saying the NRL will not be the dominant code in Sydney, but that the popularity of soccer will increase.

nuggles

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
What the f*ck is that meant to mean? That someone of an ethnic background wouldn't know what it means to be 'Australian"? Perhaps you would like the "White Australia Policy" re-introduced you f*cking bumpkin redneck. No ones saying the NRL will not be the dominant code in Sydney, but that the popularity of soccer will increase.

Without wishing to be patronising, what would a "f*cking bumpkin" from Canberra know about Sydney?

innsaneink

Referee
nuggles said:
Did anyone else get sick of hearing those heavilly accented voices of fans telling us after the game that "this is what it means to be Australian"?
In Sydney, excepting the bandwagging cafe-latte set (Swans) and the chardonnay swilling Rugby Union mob, the NRL will never fail to dominate.

Personally I found it pleasing to see those of obvious ethnic backgrounds wearing green & gold and embracing their aussie status, in a time where there isnt a helluva lot of good news anywhere really.

Good stuff.:clap:

El Diablo

Post Whore
But will they support them in the WC?

I have no doubt there will be people who were born and raised in Aus supporting another country first when it's WC time.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I think the difference is, you don't have to have great hand eye coordination to make it in Rugby League.

And you don't even need friggin arms in soccer!

fair dinkum, Soccer boomed in europe after WW1, because all those players coming back from the front with their arms blown off could still play!

League required a far greater range of skills than Soccer.

How about the accuracy? Rouind ball is supposed top be easier to kick - Joey Johns would have nailed th bloody lot of those shots. Seing Kewell pass to Bresciano and mistime like a 6 year old - lucky Bresciano connected, or you soccerphiles would be scathing about the sport.

And the name is 'Soccer". That's why the team's oficial name is the SOCCERROOS.

When I go to the footy, thre is no bloody fishing net blocking the way to the tryline!!!!

Schillaci

Juniors
Misty Bee said:

fair dinkum, Soccer boomed in europe after WW1, because all those players coming back from the front with their arms blown off could still play!

How about the accuracy? Rouind ball is supposed top be easier to kick - Joey Johns would have nailed th bloody lot of those shots. Seing Kewell pass to Bresciano and mistime like a 6 year old - lucky Bresciano connected, or you soccerphiles would be scathing about the sport.

When I go to the footy, thre is no bloody fishing net blocking the way to the tryline!!!!
Where do I start?

Can someone else reply I'm laughing too much.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Footballer said:
Where do I start?

Can someone else reply I'm laughing too much.
I would if i wasnt so gobsmacked. To suggest that football is easy is laughable and smacks of someone who has absolutely no idea. MistyBee, didnt you say you were sh!t at football? So obviously it isnt easy. Or are you just one of those uncoordinated people who are sh!t are everything?

Ive said it before and i'll say it again, its a simple matter of motor skills. Its much harder to perform skills at a high level withoyour feet than it is with your hands because we are much better at controlling our hands. And you dont just kick the ball. You have to control it, dribble it and when you do kick it it has to be very accurate - the speed has to be right, the timing, the flight if its through the air...anyone can kick a ball, but very few are actually high quality footballers. It is much easier to learn to catch and pass a rugby ball.

The socceroos players could quite easily become outside backs in Rugby League of a decent standard (not NRL but local comps) after a year or so. Forwards in Rugby league would never in a million years learn to play football and enither would most backs.

melon....

Coach
Misty Bee said:

Youve just proven what I suspected all along. You are the biggest moron on these forums.

innsaneink

Referee
The socceroos players could quite easily become outside backs in Rugby League of a decent standard (not NRL but local comps) after a year or so. Forwards in Rugby league would never in a million years learn to play football and enither would most backs.

Pffft ......... youre full of sh*t. What a load of rubbish.

nuggles

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Don't change the subject... Sort of attitude I'd expect from someone in Mt Druitt.

Hey, that's pretty funny for someone who lives in Canberra!
Here's some reality for you:
Fact: The TV ratings for the NRL Grand Final this year smashed those received for the soccer game, which was their biggest game ever (or at least for the last 32 years). It may be different in Africa, Asia or even Canberra, but...who cares.
Fact: Traditionally soccer, in Sydney, has had its strongest support in the ethnic communities. I write this in spite of politically correct clowns from Canberra trying to dictate to the rest of us what we can think or say.
Fact: You support a dud RL Team, and you are suited to this.
Fact: When people refer to the footy in Sydney, it will always be Rugby League (and I imagine AFL in Melbourne). As for Canberra, I don't know...you don't have an NSL team, you don't have an AFL team and your RL team is f*cked.
Maybe the Rugby Union suits ponces like yourself.

Tommy Smith

Referee
innsaneink said:
Pffft ......... youre full of sh*t. What a load of rubbish.
Care to explain why? Forwards are very uncoordinated. You've seen them kick a rugby ball out of their hands. Imagine them trying to play football. Never. Quite a few ootballers however could make the adjustment to playing league. Certainly not in the forwards but as outside backs in local comps after some lengthy training. Infact i bet many that do play league probably played football at the junior level. Adrian morely for one said he played football at the junior level but was no good because he has two left feet. He does hwoever have the size to play league. He's not necessarily skillful, but he has the required physical attributes and toughness to play league. He obviously finds it easier to catch and pass.

innsaneink

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
Care to explain why? Forwards are very uncoordinated. You've seen them kick a rugby ball out of their hands. Imagine them trying to play football. Never. Quite a few ootballers however could make the adjustment to playing league. Certainly not in the forwards but as outside backs in local comps after some lengthy training. Infact i bet many that do play league probably played football at the junior level. Adrian morely for one said he played football at the junior level but was no good because he has two left feet. He does hwoever have the size to play league. He's not necessarily skillful, but he has the required physical attributes and toughness to play league. He obviously finds it easier to catch and pass.

Ben Galea

Liam Fulton

Rob Farah

Ben Creagh

Dean Young

Craig Wing

Chad Randall

Anthony Watmough

Cam Smith

Aaron payne

Luke O'Donnell

Steve Menzies

Ash Harrison

Mark Minichello

Shane Walker

Frank Pritchard

Nathan Fein

Paul Gallen

Mick Sullivan

Barry Berrigan

Neville Costigan

Glenn Morrison

Dene Widders

PJ Marsh

Mark Riddell

All forwards.

All very co-ordinated imo.

All with good footwork. Im sure they could play average soccer, like the socceroos could play average RL.

Then we have the backs....which you conveniently disregarded.

Tommy Smith

Referee
innsaneink said:
Ben Galea

Liam Fulton

Rob Farah

Ben Creagh

Dean Young

Craig Wing

Chad Randall

Anthony Watmough

Cam Smith

Aaron payne

Luke O'Donnell

Steve Menzies

Ash Harrison

Mark Minichello

Shane Walker

Frank Pritchard

Nathan Fein

Paul Gallen

Mick Sullivan

Barry Berrigan

Neville Costigan

Glenn Morrison

Dene Widders

PJ Marsh

Mark Riddell

All forwards.

All very co-ordinated imo.

All with good footwork. Im sure they could play average soccer, like the socceroos could play average RL.

Then we have the backs....which you conveniently disregarded.
Yes they have good footwork. but what about with a ball at their feet. Mark Riddell good at football:lol: I dont think you quite understand what is required to be a footballer. The blokes you mentioned have rather athletic builds for forwards but that means absolutely nothing in regards to their footballing abilities. Same goes for backs.

This sums it up for me:

Misty Bee wrote: My boys all started playing soccer. Like dad, never terribly good, but they were better than I. After 2 seasons, they each decided to play League. Their own choice, not mine. I just helped them convince Mum. The point is that they could take a hit up, and with training, tackle well, so they got self esteem out of it. Constantly being beaten for the ball by smaller, quicker kids never gave them that.

The kids could never master football but with a bit of training could learn to tackle and take a hit-up.

Good point I'd never thought of it like that.

I did however play football with a number of talented guys who were also great League players, wingers mostly.

innsaneink

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
Yes they have good footwork. but what about with a ball at their feet. Mark Riddell good at football:lol: I dont think you quite understand what is required to be a footballer. The blokes you mentioned have rather athletic builds for forwards but that means absolutely nothing in regards to their footballing abilities. Same goes for backs.

This sums it up for me:

Misty Bee wrote: My boys all started playing soccer. Like dad, never terribly good, but they were better than I. After 2 seasons, they each decided to play League. Their own choice, not mine. I just helped them convince Mum. The point is that they could take a hit up, and with training, tackle well, so they got self esteem out of it. Constantly being beaten for the ball by smaller, quicker kids never gave them that.

The kids could never master football but with a bit of training could learn to tackle and take a hit-up.

OK mate you win.

Youve proved your point 100% without a doubt.

Soccer players could become average Leaguies but never the other way round.

](*,)](*,)

ali

Bench
Tommy Smith said:
I would if i wasnt so gobsmacked. To suggest that football is easy is laughable and smacks of someone who has absolutely no idea. MistyBee, didnt you say you were sh!t at football? So obviously it isnt easy. Or are you just one of those uncoordinated people who are sh!t are everything?

Ive said it before and i'll say it again, its a simple matter of motor skills. Its much harder to perform skills at a high level withoyour feet than it is with your hands because we are much better at controlling our hands. And you dont just kick the ball. You have to control it, dribble it and when you do kick it it has to be very accurate - the speed has to be right, the timing, the flight if its through the air...anyone can kick a ball, but very few are actually high quality footballers. It is much easier to learn to catch and pass a rugby ball.

As someone with 2000 posts on a Rugby League forum, I find it strange to be defending another sport. But some of the opinions on here smack of no knowledge of soccer.

I agree that most soccer players, with a bit of size, could make it as outside backs in Rugby League. The much maligned (in the Cronulla forum) David Simmons is a prime example. This guy was a stopper with great vision for years in Sutherland junior rep soccer teams, but gave the game away around the age of 16. 4 years later he is on the wing for Cronulla. Colin Best was another to switch from soccer at an older age. Dennis Betts only started taking RL seriously when he was cut my Man United.

Some forwards in RL are only there because they are big, fast and strong. Many of these guys can't kick a footy or throw a decent pass. This to me suggests they lack coordination and couldn't make it in soccer. Some of our best sportsman would no doubt be gun soccer players. Johns, Lockyer, Minichiello, Gower, Prince, Marshall, could make it at any sport. Even Steve & Mark Waugh were meant to be gun soccer players as youngsters. The fact is though, there is room in Rugby League teams for players who can do a specific job that has more to do with physical attributes and not natural skill. To steal a phrase from soccer, there aren't any Rugby League teams playing total football. The equivilent, would probably be picking a team of 13 play makers.

Garts

Bench
who cares if people call it football or soccer:roll: people can call it whatever they are used to as far as I am concerned.

league players having more skill than soccer players:lol: I am a league fan through and through and only watch soccer when it is australia and the game is on at reasonable hour but trying to say league is more skillfull than soccer:lol: .

Sure players like Johns are exceptional and do have a great range of skills but from my experience in soccer and league I find soccer a much harder game to play.

Latest posts