What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have Wests Tigers won 16 Premierships?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Going by the logic of some St George fans on here, the Cronulla gummy sharks can claim the 15 titles that saints won when Cronulla was part of that district.

mxlegend99

Referee
St George fans have supported 2 separate clubs whether they like it or not. The identity might not have changed much for them, but it's still a new club and as such they have started from scratch as far as the records books go.

St George Dragons have won 15 premierships.
Illawarra Steelers have never won a premiership.

Those clubs no longer exists and have merged to form St. George Illawarra Dragons. That team has won a single premiership, which isn't bad considered they have only been in the competition for about a third of the time that the Sharks have been in it.

Having such a great and proud history, is the only reason that fans want it included in the new clubs records. I'd be willing to bed if those consecutive premierships were wooden spoons, that no one would be trying to argue that they counted for the new club.

Fans who experienced those premierships, have experienced their team winning 16 premierships for sure. But as two separate clubs that did not exist at the same time.

BranVan3000

Coach
Nope. The only reason this argument isn't more contested is because the Magpies and Steelers don't add anything to the Premiership count

If Rabbitohs combined with Easts would it count as 33 Premierships?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Nope. The only reason this argument isn't more contested is because the Magpies and Steelers don't add anything to the Premiership count

So you can't count to three, f**kwit.

Led_Halen

Juniors
St. George Illawarra Dragons only have 1 premiership hahahahaha

Wishful thinking they were still called St. George Dragons lolololololol

LESStar58

Referee
I'm somebody who believes that history is very important to a sport - I like to see it being celebrated.

I'm just wondering how the NRL consider the history of the Premierships to be awarded.

Apparently Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra Dragons are considered seperate clubs - with no history whatsoever. I don't think this is right at all. These clubs clearly did not appear out of nowhere.

Should Wests Tigers have 16 Premierships? And should St George Illawarra Dragons also have 16 Premierships?

If that were the case there would only be 5 Premierships with no modern NRL team connection - Newtown Jets' 3 (1910, 1933, 1943) and North Sydney Bears' 2 (1921, 1922).

If the Central Coast Bears ever get into the NRL again should they start on 2 Premierships?

It is the same with foundation clubs. Apparently there are only two foundations clubs left but in reality there are three.

1999 destroyed so much history. It destroyed all foundation links (apart from the Roosters). 101 years very nearly destroyed.

Should the game link back to the past and the Dragons and Tigers in particular reclaim their roots? The Tigers could say "Formed 1908" on their badges for example.

Or is it rewriting history?

It just sounds like out of 104 Premierships, 35 are not connected to any modern team - which is not really true of 30 because... well they are...

(FYI I am not a Tigers nor a Dragons fan)

The record reflects that Steve Menzies is not a one club player which is a shame but if that's the yard stick by which history is measured then the Wests Tigers and St.George-Illawarra Dragons both have one premiership. They are joint ventures.

If the Bears get back in I think they should have the premierships maintained because they aren't a merged entity, they are relocated. North Sydney were always going to relocate to the CC which is what the NRL wanted.

BennyV

Referee
By the end of 2017, Dragons fans can add 4 more premierships to whatever count they want. And that will keep going up as long as The Dugan keeps resigning...

Long live The Dugan

Vic Mackey

Referee
I couldn't care less if we have 1,000 premierships or 1. I saw us win in 2005 and that's all I care about.

I find the dragons fans defence of their premierships quiet funny, they're getting as bad (if not worse) then souffs fans when it comes to belting on about their history...I guess when you don't have much to Crowe about it in the present that happens

as much as I would like to say that the Dragons have 16 premierships, we do only have the one. Alongside the Wests Tigers.

Both Tigers and Dragons had a bad season, and we need something to talk about over the offseason. lol.

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Magpies have won 3 premierships.

I as a dragons fan view us as winning 16. If I supported wests, I'd take the magpies or tigers total (depending on what team I supported), and add 1 for the joint premiership. I wouldn't add the figures together.

Who cares though, it's all in the eye of the beholder. It's not like we're adding figures together to inflate the number. This discussion is pointless, trolls be trolling and fans are get upset over something that is truly irrelevant. The record books state St George Dragons 15, Steelers 0, and St George Illawarra 1... And rightfully so.

Valheru

Coach
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I understand your point of view.
At least you offer opposing points of view (as opposed to others on here that just hate the dragons !)
But surely you could understand someone else's point of view based on the fact that have celebrated more than 1 premiership without changing the club they support !
If the NRL acknowledges clubs with ties to the past as still being relevant, why can't everybody else ?

I see where dragons fans are going wrong here, you think it is a matter of opinion, it isn't. Illawarra 0 premierships, St George Dragons 15 premierships, St George Illawarra 1 premiership, that is irrevocable fact.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Magpies won 4 comps actually.

Good pick up, I had forgotten one of their titles. Some supporter I am.:eek:

Although, it should have been five titles given the circumstances behind the 1963 grand final.:D

Awaiting the bite from MU.;-)

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The record reflects that Steve Menzies is not a one club player which is a shame but if that's the yard stick by which history is measured then the Wests Tigers and St.George-Illawarra Dragons both have one premiership. They are joint ventures.

I think you'll find that Wests Tigers are a merger and St.George-Illawarra is a Joint Venture.

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
I see where dragons fans are going wrong here, you think it is a matter of opinion, it isn't. Illawarra 0 premierships, St George Dragons 15 premierships, St George Illawarra 1 premiership, that is irrevocable fact.

It's funny how the dragons are referred to as having a history of choking, but their own supporters are pulled up for bringing up our premierships !
Don't forget, the roosters have won 2 out of their last 7 grand finals !

It's funny how the dragons are referred to as having a history of choking, but their own supporters are pulled up for bringing up our premierships !
Don't forget, the roosters have won 2 out of their last 7 grand finals !

Whichever way St George Illa fans spin it you've only won 1 premiership, fact. You've got a long long way to catch up to the Roosters who have won 13 premierships.

Latest posts