What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne must be Suspended

Should Hayne be Suspended?

• YES

Votes: 86 45.5%
  • NO

Votes: 103 54.5%

• Total voters

Y2Eel

First Grade
Come on guys, be realistic. Hayne and Goodwin were not in competition for the ball. Hayne was never, ever going to get there. Look at the photo on the daily telegraph front page. Goodwin already had the ball down and Hayne is yet to go to ground. The same way when Thurston kicked out at Williams the problem wasn't that he used his feet, it was that he was late and the ball had already been planted by the time he tried to kick it out. Not to mention that he connected with Williams face.

All this stuff about biomechanics is rubbish. The fact is he tried to take Goodwin over the sideline with his knees and he did so after the ball had been planted. You can't be allowed to get away with that.

I'm not saying he should cop a week, but he's got to be charged with something.

If he was walking over to him i would totally agree but Hayne was running and he isnt a small bloke that can just stop himself like that...

TimmyB

Juniors
I really would have thought he could have jumped over him. Players do it all the time when someone is grounding the ball. Have a look at a fullback herding a player toward the sideline. Often if they don't get there they jump over the legs.

I think it was instinct by Hayne and he was trying to drive Goodwin over the sideline with his knees/lower body. It doesn't change the fact that it's dangerous and you're not supposed to do it.

TBH I don't think this one is as simple as "he's innocent" or "he's guilty and must be suspended". It's very close either way, which is why I'd favour a charge that gives some points but doesn't cost him a week.

LESStar58

Referee
As a Storm fan I say that consistency is paramount in this case. Cam Smith was rightfully suspended last year and over the last year the issue of leading with the legs/feet to stop a player from scoring has become as almost as big an issue as the grapple and the "wrestle" in the play the ball.

In my opinion Hayne was NEVER a chance of stopping Goodwin from scoring that try. He won the race for the ball by a mile and Hayne slid in with the knees. The judiciary needs to make an example of Hayne the way they made an example of Smith.

Fathead

Bench
Come on guys, be realistic. Hayne and Goodwin were not in competition for the ball. Hayne was never, ever going to get there. Look at the photo on the daily telegraph front page. Goodwin already had the ball down and Hayne is yet to go to ground. The same way when Thurston kicked out at Williams the problem wasn't that he used his feet, it was that he was late and the ball had already been planted by the time he tried to kick it out. Not to mention that he connected with Williams face.

All this stuff about biomechanics is rubbish. The fact is he tried to take Goodwin over the sideline with his knees and he did so after the ball had been planted. You can't be allowed to get away with that.

I'm not saying he should cop a week, but he's got to be charged with something.

Another person looking at either a still picture or slow motion.
Its like having a still picture of someone dropping a drink of beer and saying "hell why didnt he grab it with his other hand - he had plenty of time :lol:"

You either consider it in full speed or you dont consider it at all. Collisons with the head sometimes do happen in a game where players have contact.

Biomechanics is everything and will be something that the MRC will look at.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
At full speed, he still led with his legs. It's not hard to understand.

typicalfan

Coach
I really would have thought he could have jumped over him. Players do it all the time when someone is grounding the ball. Have a look at a fullback herding a player toward the sideline. Often if they don't get there they jump over the legs.
Someone who wasn't close enough to be committed to the ball can and would do this, there are probably countless examples of this even by Hayne himself. Hayne though was in close proximity and if he thinks he is even 1/10 a chance of stopping Goodwin scoring he still has to try and play at the ball, his body was already descending when the ball is grounded and it is impossible at that point to hurdle the player

TimmyB

Juniors
Another person looking at either a still picture or slow motion.
Its like having a still picture of someone dropping a drink of beer and saying "hell why didnt he grab it with his other hand - he had plenty of time :lol:"

You either consider it in full speed or you dont consider it at all. Collisons with the head sometimes do happen in a game where players have contact.

Biomechanics is everything and will be something that the MRC will look at.
I was at the game, up that end of the stadium. As soon as I saw that I said to my mate Hayne won't be playing if the Eels make the grand final.

I've softened my position and think 90 odd points would be fair. It's not the slow motion that's making me think that.

And ffs stop prattling on about biomechanics. You can still go in arms first or jump over the player. Running at full speed does not preclude that.

TimmyB

Juniors
Someone who wasn't close enough to be committed to the ball can and would do this, there are probably countless examples of this even by Hayne himself. Hayne though was in close proximity and if he thinks he is even 1/10 a chance of stopping Goodwin scoring he still has to try and play at the ball, his body was already descending when the ball is grounded and it is impossible at that point to hurdle the player

I just didn't think he was committed to the ball. I thought he could have avoided contact. I mean on one hand people are saying he had no time to avoid the contact, but he had time to 'tuck his feet back'. How exactly does that work?

Fathead

Bench
At full speed, he still led with his legs. It's not hard to understand.

Go back to what I said a couple of pages ago.
The ball was not in Goodwins hands until the last moment.
If Hayne had kicked or kneed the ball over the line before Goodwin got to it, we wouldnt be talking about it.
This was clearly his intent.

At the speed that he was going and the distance to cover, its quite simply impossible to do anything else. He does however turn his legs to the dead ball line so that Goodwin misses the knees full on. Any subsequent contant is purely accidental and he cannot be held accountable.

All this silly talk about, when he realised Goodwin had the ball he should have either changed his positioning or jumped over the player is pure fantasy. He just didnt have the time.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I just didn't think he was committed to the ball. I thought he could have avoided contact. I mean on one hand people are saying he had no time to avoid the contact, but he had time to 'tuck his feet back'. How exactly does that work?

Think about it.... Tucking his legs back while he is falling towards Goodwin is alot easier then stopping or somehow missing him all together...

typicalfan

Coach
Because at that point that is all he could really have done, I mean about halfway along him lowering for the ball I think he thought he wouldn't make it.

I still think he should be cited but it is a complete accident imo unlike other instances brought up earlier in the year.

Remember the ball was down only half a second before the contact, very hard to say what he should have done in that instance.

Fathead

Bench
IAnd ffs stop prattling on about biomechanics. You can still go in arms first or jump over the player. Running at full speed does not preclude that.

I prat on about bi mechanics because he is the person that clubs will rely on to mount a defence for a players actions. I believe therefore that the reference is very relevant.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You can't knee people in the head when they are scoring a try. He led with the knees otherwise they wouldn't have been first point of contact. Cam Smith should be filthy if Hayne is allowed to play next week.

TimmyB

Juniors
It was so quick though. Halfway down lowering for the ball you knew he wouldn't make it? It was a split second? You wouldn't even have had time to have that thought.

It looks like we are in agreement though. It was a accident. But plenty of high tackles are also accidents - they're charged as 'careless', which is a pretty apt description in my book. I think it's garbage to say what happened was inevitable. Whether it is expected of Hayne I don't know, but he certainly could have avoided contact.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
If Gibbs is anything to go by then he should be suspended. But considering the player (it would be a marketing nightmare if Hayne didnt play) and the context he shouldnt be. I was of the opinion that Smith shouldnt have been suspended last year either.

Important players shouldnt be rubbed out of big games for such minor incidents. Judiciary should look the other way in this instance.

Will be interesting to see Melbournes reaction if they win tonight and Hayne isnt suspended after what happened to Smith last year.

Fathead

Bench
You can't knee people in the head when they are scoring a try. He led with the knees otherwise they wouldn't have been first point of contact. Cam Smith should be filthy if Hayne is allowed to play next week.

Again - whilst I respect your opinion, your opinion makes no scientific sense and I judge is purely based on emotion.