What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne must be Suspended

Should Hayne be Suspended?

• YES

Votes: 86 45.5%
  • NO

Votes: 103 54.5%

• Total voters

TimmyB

Juniors
I prat on about bi mechanics because he is the person that clubs will rely on to mount a defence for a players actions. I believe therefore that the reference is very relevant.
Are you a bio mechanist? If not, stop saying it's fine, it's biomechanics. If you are not a bio mechanist, you can't use it to support your argument.

typicalfan

Coach
It was so quick though. Halfway down lowering for the ball you knew he wouldn't make it? It was a split second? You wouldn't even have had time to have that thought.

It looks like we are in agreement though. It was a accident. But plenty of high tackles are also accidents - they're charged as 'careless', which is a pretty apt description in my book. I think it's garbage to say what happened was inevitable. Whether it is expected of Hayne I don't know, but he certainly could have avoided contact.
An accidental careless high tackle would see Hayne cited but free to play in the GF. I think common sense has to prevail.

Fathead

Bench
Are you a bio mechanist? If not, stop saying it's fine, it's biomechanics. If you are not a bio mechanist, you can't use it to support your argument.

OK lets be clear here - are you saying that Hayne had time to pull out of the collision ?
or are you saying he should have jumped over him ? or that he shouldnt have led the chase to the ball by trying to slide the ball over the sideline with his legs/knees

Last edited:

Fui!!!

Juniors
You can't knee people in the head when they are scoring a try. He led with the knees otherwise they wouldn't have been first point of contact. Cam Smith should be filthy if Hayne is allowed to play next week.

WHY!?!?!

Smith had carry over points, and that's why he was suspended. If we are talking about consitency then Hayne's tackle should be the same if not less points than Smiths because Smith was yanking at (thaiday's?) head.

The only difference is Smith had carry overs = suspension... hayne has no carry overs = he will play.

You can't knee people in the head when they are scoring a try. He led with the knees otherwise they wouldn't have been first point of contact. Cam Smith should be filthy if Hayne is allowed to play next week.

This incident has no relevance to what Cam Smith got rightfully rubbed out for.

Hayne shouldn't get suspended.

typicalfan

Coach
Will be interesting to see Melbournes reaction if they win tonight and Hayne isnt suspended after what happened to Smith last year.
It will be, considering both charges are completely different and intent is completely different.

As for Bryce Gibbs, he is a low life of a player who has a history of late hits and grubby behaviour, most Tigers fans can acknowledge this and he has only himself to blame for the punishment he got.

He also deliberately feigned injury in the same match and got penalised for it so we know what his game is.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
As a Broncos fan who was completely neutral last night, I didn't think there was much in it. He started going in to try to stop the try, Goodwin put the ball down, and Hayne then basically pulled out of the tackle but momentum carried him through and he unfortunately collected Goodwin in the head. In hindsight it actually would've been better if Hayne had kept going with his body and driven into Goodwin, but obviously he didn't know that at the time.

I didn't see the Gibbs incident so have no idea of the comparison.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
It will be, considering both charges are completely different and intent is completely different.

As for Bryce Gibbs, he is a low life of a player who has a history of late hits and grubby behaviour, most Tigers fans can acknowledge this and he has only himself to blame for the punishment he got.

He also deliberately feigned injury in the same match and got penalised for it so we know what his game is.

YES IT WILL BE considering they are both BIG name players and leaders at their respective clubs being rubbed out of the biggest game of the year because the NRL judiciary is a farce.

Only reason Smith missed last years GF was because he had carry over points. What a joke and this is coming from a bloke who hates all things Melbourne Storm.

Hutty1986

Immortal
No way should a bloke miss a GF for something like that

Just one of those things that happens sometimes

Eelementary

Post Whore
Should he be charged? Most definitely.

Should he be suspended? If he has the points, then yes. If he doesn't have enough points, then no. Despite what you may claim, he's not an aggressively dirty player - he's done stupid things like staying down and shaking the goal posts, but he's never been one to hurt opposition players on purpose through lazy/thoughtless acts.

Do I hope he gets suspended? Partially yes, because the action warrants it. But partially no, because I've been waiting for years for us to win a title and he is just so damn crucial to our hopes.

Whatever the outcome, I am ecstatic with our season, but a little disappointed that people seem to be taking that stupid play by Hayne and the tackle on Hannant out of the game. Last I checked it was a brutal, fast-paced game of football played in front of a record crowd that was red-hot...Takae that out of it imo.

LazyDreamer

Bench
The ball is being kicked through and is essentially a free for all, in that players can use arms, legs, knees, head ,anything to legally push the ball over the side line. Hayne appears to have this mind set when running towards the ball in fact if he had arrived a second before Goodwin and pushed the ball over the side line with his knees - we wouldn’t be having this debate.

Unfortunately Goodwin does have a little bit more speed than Hayne anticipated and Goodwin arrived at the ball before Hayne did.

Hayne can run 100 metres in about 11 seconds, that means that very roughly he can travel about 8 metres every second. Given the fatigue factor and being very conservative, lets even say that he covers the distance between the rolling ball and his position about 5 metres every second (and that is being very conservative)

At a certain point, the dynamics of the incident changes. Goodwin picks the ball up and the matter now becomes not a race for the ball but a tackle. Hayne now has to alter the dynamics and locomotion of his body to react to this. I would say that he would have been less than a metre away when this change between the race for the ball and the impending tackle takes place.

Having regard to the above-mentioned speed/distance formula and that Hayne would travel 5 metres every second. If he is 1 metre away – how is he expected to change his body position from one of trying to kick the ball over the side line to a legitimate tackle?
He would have less than .020 seconds to turn his body around.

This is quite frankly impossible.

The main thing to consider is this – You cannot view the matter in slow motion because you are taking into account reactions / speed / gait / body mechanics and these things don’t happen in slow motion. Life doesn’t happen in slow motion. You wouldnt view slow motion replays on a missed tackle and then ask the beaten player why his left arm was at a ceratin place and why his right foot wasnt nearer the player which may have caused the miss .. - The view in slow motion is moot.

The subsequent contact is purely accidental and beyond the control of Hayne.
All this talk of why didnt hayne jump over the player is also stupid. He didnt because he simply didnt have the time to. I fyou hold this view you have to remember that you are watching it in SLOW MOTION !! At normal speed it would be impossible for any player to process the information and jump over Goodwin.

as Kevin Moore said " Hes good but hes not Superman "

Sorry champ, but your argument is fundamentally flawed. Hayne would have known he had lost the race for the ball before he was within a metre of Goodwin. He also would have known that Goodwin would be close to the ground when he got the ball. Thus he had maybe close to half a second to decide on a course of action.

A batsman facing genuine pace bowling has around 0.4 of a second from when the ball leaves the bowler's hand to judge the ball's intended line & length, either select a shot or evasive action, and then make said shot or take said evasive action. All this within 0.4 of a second and all Hayne had to do - if he wanted to of course - was take action that would not involve feet or knees to the head of a player on the ground. Hell, instinct alone would normally do the trick.

In fact, instinct alone would suffice if he really did have only 0.2 of a second in which to react.

As far as whether it was or wasn't intentional - Goodwin had two players (Hayne & Grothe) coming at him with their knees. At best, coincidence. At worst???

Unless it was an acid flashback, did I read or see an interview with Hayne where he said watching replays of some of the things he does on the field astound him? Screw the knees; for that utter wank of a comment, he should be suspended for a month!

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
All the Cameron Smith hyprocrites are in full effect...please don't suspend precious Hayne...garbage !!.
Nothing you will ever say will ever change the fact that it was obvious to everyone that Cameron Smith deliberately tried to remove Thaiday's had from his body.

Now f**k off, sook.

Fathead

Bench
Sorry champ, but your argument is fundamentally flawed. Hayne would have known he had lost the race for the ball before he was within a metre of Goodwin. He also would have known that Goodwin would be close to the ground when he got the ball. Thus he had maybe close to half a second to decide on a course of action.

A batsman facing genuine pace bowling has around 0.4 of a second from when the ball leaves the bowler's hand to judge the ball's intended line & length, either select a shot or evasive action, and then make said shot or take said evasive action. All this within 0.4 of a second and all Hayne had to do - if he wanted to of course - was take action that would not involve feet or knees to the head of a player on the ground. Hell, instinct alone would normally do the trick.

In fact, instinct alone would suffice if he really did have only 0.2 of a second in which to react.

As far as whether it was or wasn't intentional - Goodwin had two players (Hayne & Grothe) coming at him with their knees. At best, coincidence. At worst???

Unless it was an acid flashback, did I read or see an interview with Hayne where he said watching replays of some of the things he does on the field astound him? Screw the knees; for that utter wank of a comment, he should be suspended for a month!

Finally someone who has a point of view with a bit of substance in it !!! Thanks.
I believe that Haynes intention prior to Goodwin getting the ball was to lead with his feet and slide the ball into touch before Goodwin got it. When Goodwin got the ball hayne was running at top speed and his legs were out and pointed towards the ball. From that point he couldnt stop on a dime and either jump or put his arms out or anything.

Your reference to cricket players is a good analogy, but there have been plenty of cricket batsmen that fall to a predetermined shot. They either get hit or the ball loops in the air. Haynes locomotion and angle of his body was predetermined and we would both agree that with that lack of time available - what else could he do.

Remember Hayne covers the ground anywhere between 5 - 8 metres per second. Yes batsmen can alter or decide what shots to play in a fraction of a second but if they are sliding towards a cricket ball with their legs out in front of them - they couldnt do anything either.

Again thanks for a little bit of common sense!

Redback71

First Grade
what was he ment to do? If he didnt tuck his legs in like he did he most likley would have steped on the guys face. It was almost impossible to jump over 3 guys at once

bileduct

Coach
As a Storm fan I say that consistency is paramount in this case. Cam Smith was rightfully suspended last year and over the last year the issue of leading with the legs/feet to stop a player from scoring has become as almost as big an issue as the grapple and the "wrestle" in the play the ball.
No it hasn't.

Not even close.

bileduct

Coach
Biomechanics is everything and will be something that the MRC will look at.
Hayne will get off on biomechanics alone.

It is obvious that there is no deviation from his natural running style, unlike Gibbs deliberate knee to Burt's back.