What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal~Quashed-Sued

Chipmunk

Coach
Hayne won two Dally Ms. He is absolutely one of the best players of all time. Perhaps his team level achievements don't measure up but isn't it about picking the best players? Otherwise the pack should be full of some of those 80s plodders.
Nicko Hynes won the Dally M last year too.

I'll ask you this question, if Nicho Hynes and Mitch Moses played for opposite clubs in 2022, does the same position at the Sharks still win the Dally M? I say Yes.

T-Boon

Coach
Dudes, Gutherson can't hardly make this crap house NSW team. He is a good player, a toiler, but Hayne was way better. Moses cops similar criticism to what Hayne use to get "down hill skier" and crap of that nature. Moses and Hayne types are way more valuable than a guy like Gutherson.

Suitman

Post Whore
My absolute hero growing up was Eric Grothe. Watched him at the old Cumberland Oval coming up through the Under 23's, Reserve Grade and then his amazing career in 1st Grade.
I then went on to watch that magical 80's run of grand finals, with Cronin, Ella, Kenny, Sterlo, Price etc...
Kenny should be an Immortal ahead of Meninga in my opinion.
An absolutely amazing era for the Eels of which I will never forget.
Since that golden era, there has only been one player that has had my excitement levels reach those heights of the 80's and that is Hayne, and he performed feats that were incredible and he had the complete set of skills that none of the abovementioned could match.
Hayne is by far and away the most talented, complete player I have ever seen play for the Eels.
His fall from grace from those amazingly lofty heights, his subsequent life choices and sadly his ultimate demise to a jail cell obviously somewhat deflates my opinion of him as a person.
But in no way will it ever diminish my opinion of him as a player.
He was freakishly talented.
It is so sad that he wasn't bright enough to continue the amazing legacy that he had forged in RL.

T-Boon

Coach
Put Gutherson at fullback, and that 80's team would have been unbeatable for years.
Look guy, Hayne is better than Gutherson. It is not close. Hayne also has gotten us a lot closer to winning a premiership than Gutherson (on his own).

My absolute hero growing up was Eric Grothe. Watched him at the old Cumberland Oval coming up through the Under 23's, Reserve Grade and then his amazing career in 1st Grade.
I then went on to watch that magical 80's run of grand finals, with Cronin, Ella, Kenny, Sterlo, Price etc...
Kenny should be an Immortal ahead of Meninga in my opinion.
An absolutely amazing era for the Eels of which I will never forget.
So true Suity.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I'll ask you this question, if Nicho Hynes and Mitch Moses played for opposite clubs in 2022, does the same position at the Sharks still win the Dally M? I say Yes.
I agree one Dally M doesn't say a lot. But winning two of them by accident is significantly less feasible.

Dally Ms are those awards based on 3-2-1 points by single journos as judges - the ones we all usually say have no idea when we see their write ups/points - right?

Incorrect

Coach
I'm apathetic about whether Hayne should be considered in our Team of the Century come 2047.... But I will say this - I have not ever before or since seen a player who could
* throw 20+ metre cut out passes left to right and right to left
* outpace just about every opposing player in the comp when in the clear
* muscle his way over close to the line against much bigger defenders
* Kick 40/20's
* save tries at fullback with a mix of tenacity and game awareness (holding up David Stagg from a near certain try v the Dogs in 2010 at Homebush always comes to mind)
* Kick field goals from 30+ out (v the Broncos at Parra Stadium on the stroke of halftime which ended up being the difference circa 2014)

I've seen players so some of those things but never all of them. And he did them all with quality. Phenomenal talent, just needed better guidance....

JokerEel

Coach

Yep Hynes wasn't the best player in 2022...

It's just like the media talking up players e.g Schuster.

T-Boon

Coach
Also Gutherson is having a very good season but people are forgetting he fell way back the last 2 seasons. He was a mid pack level fullback and not even close to orgin level in 2020,21,22 and he was a disgrace during contract negotiations for a captain.

lingard

Coach
I think if you put Hayne in that 80s team we would have won 6 in a row rather than 3.
All Hayne lacked was on field support and a great leader/role model early on.

That 09 team on paper was horrid.
Actually not that horrid. We had:
Grothe jnr, Reddy, Inu, Hindmarsh, MoiMoi, Mateo, Hayne. All extremely good to brilliant players on their day. Sure, Robson, Mortimer and Keating were
a pretty average trio, but on their day solid and able to complement the brilliance of the others. And, of course, we had Daniel Anderson as coach (who I think is vastly underrated).

FFS are you saying Hayne wasn’t the best player in the comp those 2 years? In 09 he had the best second half of season anyones ever had by a distance
Yes, in 2009 Hayne had a lazy first half of the comp, and only selectively "switched on" during the second half of the season. That's not a sign of a great player

It's all just opinions anayway - journos or fans (in this instance mine). Jamie Soward actually won the 2009 Provan-Summons medal for people's choice player of the year - no less valid than the journos choice version (the Dally M one).