What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne Omission

Loudstrat

Coach
Hayne was tried at pivot and was lost.

Ever since he won his Dally M Hayne has been treated by sh*t in rep teams, and now this. Dugan was poor in city v country.

Now all of a sudden NSW pick only players who play in that position, but not Hayne, because he aint a pivot.

I wonder what Soward thinks of that.

Could you imagine the next QLD coach not picking Inglis because he's not a hooker? FFS it's bad enough that Hindy aint picked.

Would love to see Hayne and Idris together in the backs.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Hayne was tried at pivot and was lost.

Ever since he won his Dally M Hayne has been treated by sh*t in rep teams, and now this. Dugan was poor in city v country.

Now all of a sudden NSW pick only players who play in that position, but not Hayne, because he aint a pivot.

I wonder what Soward thinks of that.

Could you imagine the next QLD coach not picking Inglis because he's not a hooker? FFS it's bad enough that Hindy aint picked.

Would love to see Hayne and Idris together in the backs.
Um, Hindmarsh is way over the hill, he wasn't picked because he hasn't got it anymore.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I think Hindy's NSW career is over. I didn't recongise him in Origin last year.

But I agree that it would have alarmed me more seeing Hayne and Idris in the NSW backline. Ridiculous calls.

Hooch

Juniors
Well at least Hindy would get a better chance to punch Ennis in the face when they're on the same side of the park, and I'm sure we can all agree it's long past due.

I just can't understand these selections. It's like Stick is looking for some magical spark in certain players.. maybe he believes Gus's bullshit... Scott is an 'origin player', Watmong is.. well who the f**k knows what's going through their heads.

Hayne left out for a busted Dugan... wtf. Hayne, the only player that makes the toads shit their pants, well drop him, he's not an 'origin player'

"I think Josh Dugan plays more of a style of game that I want to coach,"

:crazy::crazy: :alcho:

We'd better win Stick or you're going to be coaching the Dapto Canaries

roarr

Juniors
Hopefully every rugby league player eligible for NSW retires from rep footy after tonight.

Qld can play the Moree Wee Bolla Bulls instead.

Big Pete

Referee
I can understand Stuart opting to select Dugan over him. He didn't want to have a second five eigth, that's not his style and that's fine.

However selectors have deluded themselves into thinking he's not a winger. Whenever he's played on the left, he's always been dangerous winning two Brad Fittler medals in 2007 and 2009.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You'd think with so many Dragons in the team you'd want a fullback that attacks in a similar fashion to Boyd????????

Dugan would fit that mould moreso than Hayne. Boyd isn't really a "playmaker" he plays more as a link man. Hayne is the type of player that directs the show, Boyd just chimes into the line and throws a long ball, the halves still very much steer the play.

I don't get all the anger over Hayne being dropped. He should have been there but I don't think it's the worst decision ever made. Dugan is a capable player and whether Hayne has played wing or not, I don't think he is the best option there. He is a liability at times and Dugan is a better kick returner IMO (He doesn't jog it back like Hayne).

I think this is a better looking "team" than what we've had in the past. It seems we've picked a group of core players then picked the rest of the side to fit in accordingly with their style.

Gaba

First Grade
hayne isnt a rep fullback , he plays a good 20-25mins in attack yes he can be a game breaker/winner, in defence he isnt up to it bad positioning and reading of plays

But when things dont go his way he ends up being the worst player on the field, and he is more of an individual player then a team player

Hayne should be used coming off the bench

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
You had two options

1. Pick Hayne at Fullback and dont pick dugan as Dugan has never played wing.

or

2. Decide Dugan is your fullback and decide which wing you play hayne on

They were your options, the only 2 imo.

100% agree with this.

And, while I don't deny that Dugan is a quality player (who is struggling through some injuries this year) - losing 5 series on the trot pretty much means that option 1 was the ONLY viable option if you want to win a series.

The Blues selectors are morons - each of the past 5 years they do the same thing. Pick a woeful squad for game 1, then change it after losing.

If they can't figure out that picking their most dangerous Origin player is not only essential, but should actually happen.......

oldmancraigy

Coach
hayne isnt a rep fullback , he plays a good 20-25mins in attack yes he can be a game breaker/winner, in defence he isnt up to it bad positioning and reading of plays

But whern things dont go his way he ends up being the worst player on the field

Can't believe I'm replying to Gaba - but what the?!?!?!

Try watching Hayne play mate. There's a reason that he is rated number 1 among fullbacks in saving tries each of the past 2 seasons (and leads again this year).
There's a reason that he makes more meterage than any other fullback in kick returns - it's because he gets to the ball more quickly than anyone else.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I can understand Stuart opting to select Dugan over him. He didn't want to have a second five eigth, that's not his style and that's fine.

However selectors have deluded themselves into thinking he's not a winger. Whenever he's played on the left, he's always been dangerous winning two Brad Fittler medals in 2007 and 2009.

If Parramatta had a halfway decent playmaker (just one), Hayne wouldn't have to set up every play.

If you watch the Cowboys game, you'll notice Hayne supporting players, and he tries to run off an inside ball from Mortimer (who can't pass it properly to him). But the issue is no playmaker to run off.

Personally I would pick Hayne at fullback and work out the rest of the team from there - if Soward is 5/8, then surely getting Soward the ball 2 wide with Hayne running off him would be the 'money result' for NSW? Their speed would open up a hole for either Hayne or the center outside him.
And when it goes the 'full spread' from one touchline to the other, having Hayne handle 3rd and being able to cut out the center to the speed of Uate or Morris = try time again.

Ricky Stuart is an idiot.

Gaba

First Grade
Can't believe I'm replying to Gaba - but what the?!?!?!

Try watching Hayne play mate. There's a reason that he is rated number 1 among fullbacks in saving tries each of the past 2 seasons (and leads again this year).
There's a reason that he makes more meterage than any other fullback in kick returns - it's because he gets to the ball more quickly than anyone else.
He hasnt shown he can play for a full 40 alone 80 mins he isnt that type of player

hayne is a bit lazy in defence and gets caught out , last year the eels had to use another player to cover for him .

Last edited:
yeah mate. that's the way to approach it. like a f**king sook. if he were to do such a thing, then he's a weak merkin.
y should he go and bust his a** week in and week out only to be left out for a ret*rd like brett morris. NSW team don't deserve to have a player of his quality.

Moffo

Referee
I'm a bit each way about it, whilst Hayne is a bonafide star, he can also get a bit of the Harold holts sometimes and go MIA. I wouldve played him on the wing

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure why everyone expected the NSW selectors to start making logical decisions all of a sudden.

On Foxsports this morning Sticky said Hayne doesn't fit into his game plan unless he plays 5/8

Gaba

First Grade
I would give hayne a go at 7, he would at least offer more attack then the current halfback

Noa

First Grade
Lulz, if Stuart thinks Hayne is a 6 then he is headed for the GOAT of #1's. With his judgement record what he says is gabaesque.

Latest posts