What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne set to be axed

The Colonel

Immortal
Bazal said:
:lol: Fair call...

I just wonder would the result be the same had he not been shot at and thus highly publicised. I highly doubt it. To be perfectly honest, Jarryd is a 20 year old kid. He will go out drinking. It's the nature of 20 year old kids (that aren't from fanatically religious families and don't have medical issues preventing them etc) and to expect any less is unrealistic. Just because he is a footy player doesn't change the fact...and to suspend him for intervening to probably prevent an altercation is a stupid overreaction IMO. If the aim is to prevent playersz going to the Cross, perhaps the better way would be to provide incentives for the players to drink at certain places?

Obviously from the media release they have tried other ways to curb what ever behaviour they have deemed unacceptable and it isn't the first incidence they have had to pull the three players up on. I don't think they are trying to curb players drinking in the Cross, more the hours that they are doing it.

Look I am disappointed that the three won't play round one but long term this could wellbe a positive for the whole team and the season proper. Rather it happen now, get it over and done with instead of it happening Round 26.....

Bazal

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Obviously from the media release they have tried other ways to curb what ever behaviour they have deemed unacceptable and it isn't the first incidence they have had to pull the three players up on. I don't think they are trying to curb players drinking in the Cross, more the hours that they are doing it.

Look I am disappointed that the three won't play round one but long term this could wellbe a positive for the whole team and the season proper. Rather it happen now, get it over and done with instead of it happening Round 26.....

To be honest I feel that it's an unnecessary step and one that will only see three young kids sitting on the sidelines Round 1 shaking their heads saying "Are we forgetting who was almost on the end of a bullet here?" The way I read the statements from Fitzy was that they are looking at banning players from certain establishments...perhaps they could instead make arrangements with sponsors and "safer" drinking holes that players drink there for free/for less? It might not stop players from going out to the Cross entirely, but it would provide them with a more attractive alternative...IMO anyway

Gronk

Staff member
mickdo said:
They should just hire security to go out with them and keep an eye out. Easy.

I think Britney Spear's body guard is free...:lol:

0917_britney_spears_bodyguard.jpg

Binga

Juniors
Hire the big Spud Carrol to look after them:D or has he given up on being a bodyguard?

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm disappointed if this is the Parramatta board's decision. They don't care if the players are drunk at 4am in Kings Cross on a sunday morning, what matters is it makes the headlines and gives the club a bad reputation. If Hayne and such had not been shot at this would not be making the news. They're victims in this and are since being punished.

Eels players have been made scapegoats lately. They've been drunk in public... we all do that. No arrests. No drink driving charges. No assault charges. Not even any "alleged assaults". There's very few other clubs that can claim that in recent times.

Nikki

Coach
I have made no secret that I am disspointed that the boys were out on the piss this close to season proper. But I also think being shot at is probably punishment enough. Im sure a bullet is a lot scarier than even sittin in a room with Dennis!!

But if this decision deters other players from mucking up throughout the year and giving our club (which IMO is the most important image here, no player is bigger than it), then I guess I am all for the decision.

One of our forumites, that are closer to the boys, may be able to answer this, but wasnt a new code of conduct introduced after Timmy's antics last year? Maybe the 3 boys have broken this without us even knowing. The clubs code of conduct doesnt really need to be public knowledge, just as long as the boys adhere to it.

eel4life

Juniors
You should of seen the bucks nights that i have been on, at times we didnt get home till like 3:00 pm the day later.

but all that doesnt mean anything because i am not a footballer that plays a professional game, and on top of that no one cares about me because i am not in the public eye.

If our players fart in public you will read about it in the papers ... this is the professional era, the old days are long gone .... sponsors who put in allot of money do not want to be associated with clubs that have a tarnished image.

This sport has become a business ... all the good work the players do gets undone by the stupid behaviour they get involved in while they are drunk ... the common theme with all the bad press are all alcohol related issues ... ban the drink that wont work, ban them from going out, that wont work, ban them from going here there or everywhere, that wont work ... but maybe just maybe ban them from playing then that will make them think before they go out to remind them when its 12, 1 or even 2 ... i think its time i went home ....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gronk said:
Axing Hayne (and Junior & Weller) is damage control. The punishment certainly does not fit the crime and is all designed to avoid more sensational articles in the Telecrap.

Today they have resurrected their Eels in Crisis logo. FFS. A logo no doubt produced by their art department and I bet they have one for each and every NRL club.

Also today they allocated an entire page of the NRL players' sordid history of incidents in the Cross. They could come up with only 8 occasions in the last 5 years, with one when dunny bill smashed a paparazzi's camera (hardly fits the evil Cross accusation) and even Gaz when he made the fire up phone call to that woman because he was in a cab on the way home from the Cross. Again, they proved that going to the various night clubs frequented by NRL players in the Cross is not as bad as they would want you to think.

My point is that the News Ltd press make a mountain out of a molehill at any opportunity and give a story (considered perhaps by the SMH to have nothing to it) massive momentum with no other motive than to sell papers.

They cannot be trusted and the players and the clubs should take a stance against them in my view. They are damaging the game at a far greater rate that any player getting in a push and shove situation at Maccas or at Northies after closing time.

What is amazing to me is that News Ltd have a massive financial interest in the game, yet seem to enjoy the any publicity is good publicity view. It may make good editorial but clearly must frustrate the NRL to no end. Gallop should tell them to pull their heads in for the good of the game, however it has been shown in the past that he is merely a Murdoch puppet, so that will never happen.
Spot on Gronk!!

eel4life said:
You should of seen the bucks nights that i have been on, at times we didnt get home till like 3:00 pm the day later.

but all that doesnt mean anything because i am not a footballer that plays a professional game, and on top of that no one cares about me because i am not in the public eye.

If our players fart in public you will read about it in the papers ... this is the professional era, the old days are long gone .... sponsors who put in allot of money do not want to be associated with clubs that have a tarnished image.

This sport has become a business ... all the good work the players do gets undone by the stupid behaviour they get involved in while they are drunk ... the common theme with all the bad press are all alcohol related issues ... ban the drink that wont work, ban them from going out, that wont work, ban them from going here there or everywhere, that wont work ... but maybe just maybe ban them from playing then that will make them think before they go out to remind them when its 12, 1 or even 2 ... i think its time i went home ....

I care e4l!!!

BTW did anyone read Paul McGregors' Q&A in this weeks RLW...part of the story was that they used to go for a tube after training....this given day was early in the week.

Neil Pincinelli didn't front the next day...or the next day after that. Graham Murray was the coach at the time and addressed the players as to whether he should be picked for Saturdays game.

They all said yes so, by this time it is FRIDAY and he had been out on a bender all week, Murray ropes him in and dries him out for the game the next day.Didn't front for training the whole week.

Times change but similar cultures still exist but I would be a hypocrite to disagree with belting piss till all hours..one of my favourite pastimes but like you e4l no one wants to fire a gun at me....I think

I don't think this is easily solved as long as we follow an American way of life that we seem to be attached to like some sort of life support system.

Eels Dude

Coach
I dunno if anyone's ready Joey's book, but the amount of sh*t he did which went "unnoticed" makes the Eels behaviour look like nothing. Makes me wonder if Hagan has double standards or is just trying to save face.

Nikki

Coach
Could be a bit of that. Could be a bit of guilt too. He let Joey slip through the cracks and doesnt want another talented start to go the same way.

parranut

Juniors
you are really clutching at straws now , fancy blaming the coach i think you need to grow up a bit as well

Hanscholo

Bench
Angry_eel said:
axed for being shot at?

For being involved in a brawl and for not walking away when he had the chance to. The fact that he was shot at is really amplifying the incident, but then again so it should. Its reached the stage where if these blokes dont learn to avoid danger when out then they wont have careers and in the harshest of circumstances their lives.

Hanscholo

Bench
thedux said:
I actually think its a very appropriate action. The guy was involved in an incident with Gasnier, who then left. Our players decide to be heroes and confront the guy at McDonalds later in the night when it had nothing to do with them and get involved in a scuffle. It was 4am on a monday for ffs and what if the guy had the gun with him then instead of later.
They put themselves in an unnecessary situation cause they were full of booze and should know better by now, especially Hayne. They obviously don't think much of the fans or the club if they think they can act in public however they damn well please. They are public figures and like it or not, they need to be aware of that 24/7.

QFT its not a beatup at all, its a massive f**kup by Hayne.

Nikki

Coach
parranut said:
you are really clutching at straws now , fancy blaming the coach i think you need to grow up a bit as well

Im not blaming anyone at all. Except for the dickhead with the gun. There have just been some decisions made, that in hindsight, probably werent the best.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://news.smh.com.au/gallop-applauds-eels-tough-stance/20080306-1xgq.html

Gallop applauds Eels' tough stance

March 6, 2008 - 5:25PM

NRL chief executive David Gallop has applauded Parramatta's decision to stand down three players as a meeting of club bosses rejected moves for a blanket approach to curbing player behaviour.

Jarryd Hayne, Weller Hauraki and Junior Paulo were all barred from playing in the Eels' season opener against the Bulldogs on Saturday week, the ban a result of their boozy escapades in Kings Cross early Monday morning.

It was a move which received widespread approval from club chief executives, who met in Sydney on Thursday to discuss a range of issues.

Gallop said he was hopeful that denying players the opportunity to do what they love doing would help get the message across.

"There was a general agreement that taking players out of games was an effective way of trying to combat these issues," Gallop said.

But as far as the NRL stepping in, Gallop said club bosses were all of the opinion that the clubs themselves were in the best position to discipline players.

"It was unanimously agreed that the clubs handling these matters was the best approach," Gallop said.

"If the matter was serious enough, certainly those powers are there (for the NRL to act).

"At this stage the clubs are dealing with those issues."

While Hayne, Hauraki and Paulo were also fined $2000 each for their involvement in an altercation that ended with them being the target of a gunman, Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said monetary fines were no longer the answer.

"You can fine players all sorts of amounts but that doesn't necessarily affect their lifestyle or their thinking from week to week," Fitzgerald said.

"Standing them down with the threat that there will be further stand downs should there be any further problems, that's the thing that will play on their mind at 10 or 11 o'clock at night or midnight when they're deciding to kick on somewhere or go home.

"Obviously we are hoping and expecting that this disciplinary action will be enough for them to say it's time to go home."

The move is not without precedent at the Eels, with the club having suspended halfback Tim Smith last year due to alcohol-related indiscretions.

Smith was also dropped to Premier League in 2006 after turning up to training intoxicated.

While the leadership group headed by skipper Nathan Cayless and Test backrower Nathan Hindmarsh gave the bans their tick of approval, Fitzgerald said it was coach Michael Hagan who pushed for the trio to be stood down.

"Michael Hagan was very strong in regard to that situation," Fitzgerald said.

"As far as standing players down it becomes a coaches prerogative to do that.

"I think it showed good leadership and strength from Michael Hagan which I never doubted ... I was really pleased with the attitude that he's adopted, along with the senior players with Nathan Cayless and Nathan Hindmarsh in particular.

"They want to be with a club that's firstly successful but also with players and teammates that they can be proud of and happy to go out with."

Fitzgerald confirmed he would be confronting his players to discuss the possibility of a club ban on frequenting troublesome nightspots.

In other news to come out of Thursday's chief executives conference, the NRL has decided to form a taskforce in a bid to further strengthen the game at the grass roots level in Sydney's west.

The NRL revealed that participation numbers in western Sydney were on the increase, with the move aimed at warding off a potential challenge from the AFL.

The AFL has indicated plans to bring in a team playing out of ANZ Stadium within the next five years.

Nikki

Coach
For mine, I still think its a bit hypocritical that Caylo was part of the decision considering he was with the boys on the night. Its almost a conflict of interest.

diab0lik

Juniors
hayne is still eligible for nyc right? wats the chances they'll make him play toyota cup? or nsw cup for that matter?

Nikki

Coach
Not too sure. Coz the other two would more than likely have been playing NSW cup too.

Latest posts