What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hayne the myth

mazz

Juniors
(I said this in another thread as well... btw i'm a bronc supporter)

J Hayne rarely seems to show any enthusiasm to run the ball back fast; he kind of dances around (I don't blame him - I wouldnt want to get smashed either). But still, I notice this often when he plays. Probably 30% of the time, I think he is bad for the eels - it's like he tries to conserve energy throughout most of the match, so that he can then burn opposition at later time. I guess i'm used to the kamikaze style K Hunt return. I think Brett Stewart and Slater play a similar style. Hunt plays a more physical less graceful version of Slater/Stewart. Hayne has his own style again; elegant, but not always interested in putting the body on the line.

I wonder if J Hayne gives his absolutely everything on the field in those 80 minutes, or whether he still has enough juice to play another 40. Fuifui Moimoi, there is a guy that gives 110% every week.

Last edited:

Scarves

Juniors
Hayne's obviously a star of the future, however until this year his performances couldn't be regarded as consistent. Let's see how he continues to progress over the next few seasons before we decide who's a champ and who is over-rated.

What I do see in Hayne is that he over called (interrupted) his captain during the most important pre-match huddle of the season. I perceived that to be disrespectful and concerning. It's obvious due to his ability the Hayne Train has become a Parra team leader but it looks as though Jarryd's been reading his newpapers, and this weeks coverage was comic book hero stuff. His comment of "Good Luck" during the week referring to the Storm's plans to stop him , well that smacked of smug crap.

The Hayne Train played his best footy this year after a Fijian sojurn returning as a humble lad who found his feet. Keep those feet on the ground and the Train can begin moving again.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Hayne isn't a Myth he just came up against 2 players who are better then him, Inglis and Slater and they waved goodbye past him when they both scored tries. Hayne cried like a little girl after they lost which just gave more proof that he is a whining bitch

dclayw

Juniors
A myth? Absolutely. It's what happens when the media grabs a hold of a handfull of good games, (well, 2 handfulls). He's a quality player, no doubt about that. But the really great players don't go missing, ever.

ironhorse

Juniors
Hayne is a good player and been great to watch the last couple of games with all the hype around him but he has had good form for what a few months and under the spotlight for what 6 weeks .... need to show a couple of good seasons to be considered anything more - who knows the Storm shutting him down tonight might have shown him up ?Certainly contained him well. He'll need to back it up next season to truly judge Haynes talents . Slater has been around for years and still carves them up in all levels -club, international ,origin and Finals footy - a true champion player of note.

Footy-Fan

Juniors
He didn't wipe the opposition off the park, but he had a good game, & now people are saying he is a myth? I agree that the media has hyped him up way to much, and I believe that at this point Slater should get the #1 Jersey, but Hayne needs to be in the side. He isn't the greatest player of all time, because you need to be consistent. If he can keep playing the way he is for another few years, he just could be the greatest though.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He will probably win them more games than he loses them over time, J Hayne that is.
BUT in the game where they needed him to shine he was noticeably off key, in the end it was a shame that the final error of the game involved the ball bouncing off his bonce to the turf.

He's not over rated, he may have just been overawed by the occasion, Melbourne also did a great job of containing him, when he tried to freewheel backwards 90% of the time they grabbed him and kept him going backwards, the way they cut off his running options really stunted his game.

Maybe in the future people will be talking about the grand final he single handedly won Parra, but as it goes he failed, today, to perform when it really mattered, hopefully he will come out of it better prepared for the experience.

As for the Inglis try, even if Hayne could have positioned himself dead in front of Inglis after Inglis caught the ball, how many of you would actually rate him a chance of stopping Inglis?, keeping in mind that 110kg frame.

Well said, mate.

IMO Hayne started to believe his own hype as the week went on...this game proved that he is a good player but not at the standard of Slater, Inglis, Lockyer and co..

Perhaps, but I ask you this - how well did Inglis and Slater go in their first Grand Final appearance? No, I do not mean to criticise - rather, to point out that young stars often take a Grand Final or two to really hit their straps.

The Slater and Inglis we see today weren't the same Slater and Inglis of 2006 imo.

But taking nothing away from Slater and Inglis who are just freaks.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hayne isn't a Myth he just came up against 2 players who are better then him, Inglis and Slater and they waved goodbye past him when they both scored tries. Hayne cried like a little girl after they lost which just gave more proof that he is a whining bitch

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What, you'd rather he act all robot-like and not show emotion? He lost a Grand Final - most players who've lost a Grand Final have shed a tear or two. It's no crime ffs.

Ulysseus

Bench
Hayne isn't the concern.
Mortimer, injured today or not, NEEDS some extra muscle.
Yes, he is "ripped", but in this modern game that boy needs 15 extra kg's at least.
Unless he has some extra weight, he will have no stopping power in defence.

Ulysseus

Bench
Then again, there are a few halves that need to bulk up, if I had my way I'd be jamming Soward full of Anadrol, Deca-Durabolin and Winstrol as we speak in an effort to get him to over 100kg's and muscular.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think our biggest issue was we simply have no size up front. Sure, Fui is 'big', but he's not huge. And he'd be our only genuinely big forward - Mateo is tall and over 100kg but he's lean.

Because the Storm have such a big pack all over the paddock I reckon they bullied our forwards around and our smaller guys had to make more tackles than usual. Dan Mortimer could definitely use a bit more size, but defensively he's done fairly well this season. But if you don't have a pack that can man-handle their opposition like Melbourne did to us today, then it means your smaller guys will suffer.

It's for that reason I think we should look forward to a brighter 2010 with Poore and Shackleton coming on board. They'll add some extra size up front and hopefully we'll be able to compete with the bigger packs.

Also, I realise that Canterbury and even the Titans have large packs, too. But they're not coached to the same degree as Melbourne are imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Then again, there are a few halves that need to bulk up, if I had my way I'd be jamming Soward full of Anadrol, Deca-Durabolin and Winstrol as we speak in an effort to get him to over 100kg's and muscular.

I don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be. He could probably use a bit more muscle so he could (pardon the phrase) throw his weight around a bit, but overall, I think if Bennett gets him working on his technique he'll be right.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Billy Slater: 165m, 5 tackle breaks

Jarryd Hayne: 168m, 6 tackle breaks

And that counts as a "bad game" for Hayne even though he was targeted by the Storm defence?

Most players would give their left nut to play that well in a grand final.

For people to bag Jarryd Hayne because he didn't get man-of-the-match for once shows how awesome he is.

Anyway, Fuifui Moimoi was the best player on the field. Cooper Cronk was a close second.

Latest posts