What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindy and Burts last game.

bartman

Immortal
My first thought was ANZ , would get 45000 easy even allowing for 7pm start.
But on further cinsideration , there's nothing like Parramatta Stadium rocking with a full house of Eels fans. And being so close to the action adds to the atmosphere.
Still can't believe the trust sacrificed so much space at the back of the two hills , capacity should be a t least 25000.
Can't wait for Sunday week! AND it's Fathers' Day!
Amen to that!

bartman

Immortal
rumours going around that the game might be at anz after all and turning into a logistical nightmare for the club....anyone else heard anything?
If they do pull a late switch to ANZ, it could easily cost them some 2013 membership renewals.

Not only is it logistically stupid to switch venues after tickets have gone on public sale (and all sold out!), but most member's seats at ANZ home games are worse than their real seats at Parra (in terms of closeness to the action, viewing angle, not undercover etc etc).

With Hornby's announcement the club might be tempted to do some sums and think they can potentially make more of a profit a ANZ (even taking into account the $100,000 default fee to Parra Stadium Trust), but the late change and seat issue for an already shrinking ticketed membership base would potentially end up costing the club a lot more in the long run....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If they do pull a late switch to ANZ, it could easily cost them some 2013 membership renewals.

It could also encourage extra memberships amongst the people who otherwise would have missed out on seeing Bindy and Hurt play their last game.

bartman

Immortal
Hmm.... encourage future memberships among casual fans keen on seeing Hindy and Burt one last time, in case those people suddenly become keen to regularly watch the side in 2013 without those two drawcard players?

:-k

born an eel

Bench
Sellout has cost me the chance to take my godson to see Hindy's last game. Stupid decision not to move the game.

dragging your heels to buy tickets has cost you the chance to take your godson to see hindys last game. stupid decision not to buy tickets early.

bartman

Immortal
Maybe the club can ask the Council to put up a big screen in Parra Park or that one on the corner of Church St and Victoria Rd? Call it the overflow or whatever, for fans of both team that missed out on game tickets but still want some of the atmosphere....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hmm.... encourage future memberships among casual fans keen on seeing Hindy and Burt one last time, in case those people suddenly become keen to regularly watch the side in 2013 without those two drawcard players?

:-k

Or..

Hmm... worry about losing the memberships of tragics who, let's face it, will renew their memberships anyway.

bartman

Immortal
Or..

Hmm... worry about losing the memberships of tragics who, let's face it, will renew their memberships anyway.
MJC's thread about renewal is only showing an 82% intended renewal rate among those currently with season tickets - and this site has been quite tame in its negative feelings about Kearney/the Board (relative to the other Parra forums).

If you were the CEO or Board in the current circumstances with election in December/April, would you take the risk of pissing off these loyal "tragics" any further?

strider

Post Whore
Maybe the club can ask the Council to put up a big screen in Parra Park or that one on the corner of Church St and Victoria Rd? Call it the overflow or whatever, for fans of both team that missed out on game tickets but still want some of the atmosphere....

I agree ... the best thing they could do is put a big screen on the field next to parra stadium and let people come and watch there, for free and be close to the sounds and the game etc

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Casual fans attending Hindy and Burt's last game suddenly find themselves part of the club's history ("I was there when...")

There is a great opportunity to get people hooked on the club through an event like this, and as we know, pandering to new customers is always better business than satisfying the ones you've already got. Anybody who is 'brand loyal' - as in the case of sports fans - is far from a rational consumer. It takes a lot of abuse to lose those customers; this is proven by the fact that they spend hours of their lives whingeing rather than take their business elsewhere (i.e. abandon their team).

bartman

Immortal
I would have thought the non-members wanting to just go to ANZ for Hindy and Burt would already see themselves as part of that history of the past 13 or so year, otherwise they wouldn't be wanting to dust off the jersey and attend just for those guys? Let's face it, one farewell game is not the same as getting caught up in a winning charge to 8th and then onto the grand final (a la 2009).

My point was that the feeling of being shut out of a game you really wanted to attend could also be a great way to hook those fans/non-members into becoming regular fans (ticketed members), so that they never miss these moments in future years - while also keeping current loyal ticketed members satisfied.

Again, after the pain suffered by loyal fans in this recent Osborne/Kearney era (on field results since punting DA) and with elections around the corner, would you (as a board member or club employee) put your name to a risky strategy of swapping to ANZ at the last minute, just for the sake of some short term bucks? If so, good luck to you....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
MJC's thread about renewal is only showing an 82% intended renewal rate among those currently with season tickets

Maybe he should do a poll about how many gambling addicts intend to still be gambling by next year.

Do you reckon the poll would go close to 82%?

Face it mate, we're hooked on our f**king team. Like a beaten spouse, we'll keep coming back for more. No matter what we say in a poll.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/eels-dragons-match-moved-to-anz-stadium/tabid/10874/newsid/69445/default.aspx

Eels-Dragons match moved to ANZ Stadium

NRL.com Wed, Aug 22, 2012 - 10:35 PM

The National Rugby League and NSW Government have announced that the final match of the Telstra Premiership season between Parramatta and St George Illawarra will move to ANZ Stadium for a 6.30pm kick-off.

The move follows discussions between ARLC Interim Chief Executive Mr Shane Mattiske, players, NSW Minister for Sport and Recreation the Hon Graham Annesley MP, the Parramatta Club, Parramatta Stadium, ANZ Stadium and Fox Sports.

“After discussions with Minister Annesley today we have been able to get support from the NSW Government to make the move possible and I certainly thank the Minister for his efforts as well as the Parramatta Club, the Parramatta Stadium Trust and ANZ Stadium,” Mr Mattiske said today.

“It is something we know Parramatta had been keen to achieve for some time and we have reached a point where a number of factors have come together to make it possible.

“The prospect now of four great players playing making their final appearances in the final game of the Telstra Premiership rounds means that the occasion demands a bigger arena.

“The decision by Ben Hornby to retire along-side Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke Burt and Dean Young can now become a game-wide celebration.

“Fox Sports, in moving the match to 6.30pm, have made it more accessible to families and while it is not possible to bring it forward any further the game is now a little more in reach for some.

“ANZ Stadium has assured us that they can accommodate existing ticket holders on a priority basis and those arrangements will be confirmed in coming days.

“Parramatta Stadium and Minister Annesley have been key players in making this possible.

“There is now a real opportunity for fans of all clubs to honour four great servants of Rugby League with a very special goodbye and it promises to be an emotional end to the competition rounds.”

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
](*,) How reactive can they get... big disincentive imo for people to fork out and remain ticketed members.

Eels Dude

Coach
Wonderful news. It may be disappointing for season ticket holders and those who've already got tickets but think of the bigger picture.

bartman

Immortal
Oh well, if it keeps the transient uncommitted masses happy then who are we mere ticketed members of the club to feel disappointed... :crazy:.

I just realised when texting my dad this news, that whenever I refer to games at homebush, I automatically refer to it as "f**king homebush" :lol:.

strider

Post Whore
good shit ..... great effort from all involved .... it may cause disruptions etc, but i applaud the efforts to make it happen