What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honestly, which of these players are of a first grade standards...?

Bigfella

Coach
Young talented players are far more likely to make the transition if they come with confidence into an experienced, physically and mentally tough outfit.

The presence that Tahu brought into the side last year seemed to rub off far more constructively on Inu and Hayne.

Most of the forwards used have failed to compete well enough. But that isn't surprising when the whole pack has failed.

Old hard heads are essential to bring young blokes on. Our old heads are most to blame in my book. And put it this way, I'm not directing it at Hindmarsh.

Robinson, Wagon, Cayless, Burt, Finch, Riddell, in my book have all been very disappointing for us IMO. I know I'll get an argument from some on Finch, but not sure I will on the others.

The Colonel

Immortal
Robinson, Wagon, Cayless, Burt, Finch, Riddell, in my book have all been very disappointing for us IMO. I know I'll get an argument from some on Finch, but not sure I will on the others.

Robinson has probably been the most consistent for us this year on field, not sure in terms of leadership how much influence he has had however.

Wagon on the other hand has a decent amount of "pull" in terms of the younger members of the team, maybe not all of them, but quite a few apparently. He hasn't played as many games and has probably gone on a bit long.

They are role players and while they are a part of the team I wouldn't put them in terms of having to be on-field leaders ahead of Hindmarsh or Cayless.

Burty would have to be, outside of Finch, one of the best talkers in our team. Our defence hasn't been great but it is probably the best area of Burts game in terms of on-field direction. I still argue he would make a good leader but his position in the team is under debate.

Riddell and Cayless, in terms of the leadership group, well I won't argue about their influence or lack there of. I wouldn't leave Hindmarsh out of this though either.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think on paper our team were only a few players off top 4 potential. Problem was the negative style that doesn't suit us and the underperformance of some players (especially in the forward pack).

I would be looking at a good quality young halfback that can guide the side around with a great kicking game. Oh wait we let him sign for Manly.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Under the salary cap the highest paid player at any club earns around 500 - 550K, so if these players earn 350K++ so early in their careers there wont be much room to move when the current contracts are up for renewal

If the salary cap doesn't increase by at least 5% of today's $ per over the next 5 years then it won't matter that we can't afford to increase them - the amount they'll be able to earn in another country/ code will be so much more anyway.

If it does increase by 5% of todays dollar, then the 'comparable' salary cap in 5 years would be $5.23 million - giving us another $1.13 million to spend on increases anyway.

Factor in the CPI increase, and you're looking at a salary cap of around $6million in 5 years time (if it is given 5% increase alongside the CPI increase).

If it's $6 million, then we have $1.9million extra to spend 'fixing up' their deals.

In summary (to wade through the mathematical mumbo jumbo) - if the cap doesn't increase, big trouble. But the cap will increase, so we'll have more money to pay next time around!

cirque

Juniors
Next year we will be hurtling down towards wooden spoon. I have looked at the recruitment for next year. It is depressing to see we are going to retain same set of incompetents. Our club is becoming a dinosaur in NRL. Every other club is brining talented youngsters and we retained the lazy, incompetent, individualistic players.
Our club should dump Nathan Cayless, Ben Smith, Guru, WH, Tautai, Josh Cordoba. I think Burt can still improve his game as so is Reddy. At least Reddy shows more urgency in field. Our club should make NH or Finchy as our skipper. Our juniors are not doing any good. Keating brothers yet to show that they top grade players. In the last game, KK did not seem to have good 5th tackle option.
If the players do not listen to MH, we need to fire them. We need somebody like Ricky Stuart or Bellamy type coach who can crack whip on the players who does not perform
If we continue with same old garbage, our season will continue to be longer.

Colonel, one of the key points must be the training.

A few players suggested that they didn't get flogged in the last pre-season, and that showed in condition and strength. I believe that was the instructions from the senior coach, and that coupled with a game plan where we tried to match brute strength and no off-loads against bigger sides was crazy. We looked best when we moved the ball at or behind the line, what on earth was the thinking this year, granted we may have high expectations, but the coaching style and selections and recruitment was well below standard.

That's the rub isn't it. People can bat on that Hayden doesn't get the side ready but he is told by the Head coach what he wants, and H has to deliver.

The same thing that happened (supposedly) in 2006, might have happened this year as well.

Gronk

Staff member
Yes but when you sack your coach, players seem to lift with the new coach watching over them and controlling recruitment. Might happen ...

Yet we couldn't sign a prop in Kaufusi because we'd spent ridiculously over the odds for overrated players such as Hayne.

I've led the anti-Hayne campaign for a long time so I can rightfully be furious over what has happened. Anybody who started to get outraged when there were whispers he might head elsewhere now need to realise that it was their stupidity (which was also held by those within the Club) which has put us in a position where we cannot fix our deficiencies.

Robinson was our only forward to consistently offload this year.

Wags is not a flash player. He adds stability to the side. Not everyone is a big superstar and Wags filled his role nicely. It was the lack of flair in the rest of the forward pack that was the problem.

Cayless had a poor year. However, he did on occasion show what he can offer, for example when he decides to play ball before the line. Unfortunately, Hagan's "safety first" mantra meant this strength was not allowed to show.

Burt is our best talker. His value to the defensive line is easily illustrated when others play fullback. The fact that he outshines Hayne in talking when he has been shafted to the wing proves his value. He has also provided another choice for kicking, is our best goalkicker and showed his value on the weekend in our lone try. To bag Burt shows a total lack of understanding relating to rugby league.

Finch cannot be bagged in the least. Like Wags, he is not a flash superstar. Give Finch a running halves partner and put the pair behind a good forward pack and he will become our most valuable player, if he isn't already. Bagging Finch is just stupid.

Riddell had a poor year.

Funny how in that list of players that you bagged, Inu and Hayne were not mentioned. Two of the most expensive players in the team and both had significantly sub-standard years. In terms of value for money, the likes of Chad, Wags and Burty absolutely sh*t all over the likes of Hayne and Inu. They should have been the very first two mentioned.

Kornstar

Coach
I think we can all agree that we dislike Hagan? Get rid of him, then get rid of Fitzy and we will start to fix the issue!!!

Gronk

Staff member
I think we can all agree that we dislike Hagan? Get rid of him, then get rid of Fitzy and we will start to fix the issue!!!

LOL I bet that many 'round these parts would still be bitching about their replacements. :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Funny how in that list of players that you bagged, Inu and Hayne were not mentioned. Two of the most expensive players in the team and both had significantly sub-standard years. In terms of value for money, the likes of Chad, Wags and Burty absolutely sh*t all over the likes of Hayne and Inu. They should have been the very first two mentioned.

strangely enough, they're not on as much as you think as their new deal kicks in next season. ;-)

dazeely

First Grade
The defensive type of players Ben and Tahu were missed big time. They shoulder most of the defence and held the line etc out wide. Then the likes of Hayne and Inu did their thing. Defensively Hayne and Inu in the centres can be very ordinary.

Having Benny back will be a huge plus.

1. Hayne
2. Reddy
3. Inu
4. Benny
5. Grothe / Burt / ??????

As for the forwards we are 1 or two big boppa meter eaters short. We will again struggle. Our clone style smallish forwards will not cut it again. Not sure of the answers as we have bought no one to fit the mould. Kaufusi or a Lima would have been awesome. Hauraki is sh*t. Oake too small. Paulo too inconsistent.

parramaniac2516

Juniors
This would be my backline next year

1 Hayne
2.Inu
3.Reddy
4 Smith
5. Burt

Our fullback position is troublesome Burt can be used as a additional playmaker and is ok when it comes to reading the defence he however is reluctant to run back with any heart on ball returns.

Hayne is the opposite will run back do some great things in attack but is awful defensively.

Finch and Keating well at the moment there the best we have in regards to halves.

Forwards i reckon besides the tigers we have the smallest pack in the NRL.

9 Keating ok without being to flashy
10. Moi Moi has heart and not afraid to run the ball.
11. Hindy stays obviously
12 Robinson does the job you need him to
13 Mateo needs to stay

Cayless and Wagon are past it, Lowrie is a joke and so are the other so called props. We need a big prop that wont be afraid to run and some decent. Our problem is we dont have a decent bench and when our forwards would normally interchange we lose a lot of go forward.

Paulo
Hauriki
and others just are not up to it.

Also i dont see why Gaulavo was not given more of a chance

caylo

Bench
This would be my backline next year

1 Hayne
2.Inu
3.Reddy
4 Smith
5. Burt

Our fullback position is troublesome Burt can be used as a additional playmaker and is ok when it comes to reading the defence he however is reluctant to run back with any heart on ball returns.

Hayne is the opposite will run back do some great things in attack but is awful defensively.

Massivly disagree, Hayne is better in defence and attack IMO. Burts defence is aweful, Hayne is without doubt atleast 2wice the player Burt is at fullback but still has alot to learn.

Hayne
Reddy
Inu
Smith
Grothe

That is our best backline IMO (if grothe can turn his form around), Keating and Finch atm are the best we have and we need Mannah, Lewis and Robo Jnr to come in and stand up. Hauraki and Paulo have to play to their potential, and Cordoba has to get his running game back. If they can have a big off season we could take out the comp, if not we will languish behind. Its in the players hands more than the coach IMO

Latest posts