What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoppa

lingard

Coach
No they weren't and if memory serves me correctly, the very first of these texts were written around a whole 50 to 200 years after his supposed demise.

You're an idiot. There were professional scribes everywhere in those days, and not one of them thought it warranted a sentence or two to note that there was this great healer/miracle man who was sticking to the establishment authority.

Like I said you guys are delusional fools.

Oh, well.

lingard

Coach
Like some of you other mob have said, there's more historical evidence that Jesus lived and did extraordinary things than there is evidence that Julius Ceasar existed. Another interesting thing to note is that Jesus said some pretty shocking things about himself, so much that the religious leaders of the time wanted him dead. When they killed him, the blokes that were following him became a bunch of scaredy cats and went into hiding. One of his most loyal followers even denied knowing him for fear they'd kill him too.
Then something happened to turn these timid guys that were in hiding into bold men that were willing to die (and a few of them were killed) to tell others about Jesus. The influence of these few blokes has turned into a pretty huge group called Christians; and yes there's many types of Christians that agree and disagree about a heap of things, but most agree on a few key things about him. Much like we're a group of people that follow a footy team that have blue and gold jerseys. We all have different reasons for following them and we also disagree about a heap of stuff to do with them, but at the end of the day, we love the Eels and all love them to win games and hope they'll win the comp sometime soon.

G

Beautifully put. Thanks for that, mate. And before anyone thinks (if anyone cares) that I'm a Christian - I'm not.

guruminga

Juniors
Would you care to cite any of that evidence? I mean, I'm pretty sure he existed, but this claim that there is more evidence than there is for Caeasar? Seriously?

Sorry to keep banging on, Barry asked me to cite a couple of pieces of evidence.

Hey Barry,

Without getting into it too much, here's a couple of historian's writings corroborating the existence of Jesus.

...So he [Ananus, son of Ananus the high priest] assembled the sanhedrin of judges, and brought before him the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others (or some of his companions) and when he had formed an accusation against them, he delivered them to be stoned.

(Flavius Josephus, first century Jewish historian)

...Christus, from whom the name [i.e. Christianity] had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus...

(Cornelius Tacitus, first century historian)

There's really no debate that he existed and was well known for his teaching and actions. But that's not the confronting or contentious thing about it all. The question is - was he/is he who he said he was?
And if you look at what he was reported to have said, it's worth asking was he a liar, a lunatic or was he really the son of God as he claimed to be?

Just to be clear after Lingards nice words, I am a Christian, but I'd hate for you mob to feel like I was bible-bashing you. You're all big enough and ugly enough to make up your own minds; even Ram.

G

Avenger

Immortal
On Sterlo, Hoppa stated that when he came back from his 2 year mission he was way too light at 88kg. He has now put on 10kg and is 98kg.

TheRam

Coach
Some of the ridiculous posts on here trying to justify your imaginary friend is just total dumb arse.

Faith is not prof of anything. Give a skerrick of evidence or just stop crapping on.

hindy111

Post Whore
C'mon Ram...Im not religious but I understand religion gives a lot of people hope in there life or help the overcome thing like death. As much as I starts wars it also brings relief and a nice thought too many dying people-cancer patients -Sick kids etc....
I don't see the harm in believing in something :)

Avenger

Immortal
Some of the ridiculous posts on here trying to justify your imaginary friend is just total dumb arse.

Faith is not prof of anything. Give a skerrick of evidence or just stop crapping on.

So when we go, that's it Ram? Nothing ? You think that we literally came from nothing ? An explosion and people ended being formed from basically nothing and we have evolved into what we are today ? Is that what you believe in ?

PS I don't believe in everything the bible says but to think that existence as we know it and the world is just here as a result of a series of explosions and coincidences is as believable as a virgin conceiving.

guruminga

Juniors

That's exactly what I tried to do mate. There's evidence he existed and was renowned for the things he said and did. Like I said the faith thing is up to you. I don't remember saying faith is proof of anything.

Have a good night mate, I'm going to bed.

G

hindy111

Post Whore
Wouldn't it be funny if what you believe is actually what happen and existence is just all in your mind.So the 40 virgins come true if you believe that, Hell if you believe it etc....Does this make sense? So everything you are doing now is just a thought in your sub concoius mind.So basically you are your own god and everything you see is what you have imagined and created yourself in your own mind....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

There's plenty of evidence mate. How about the fact that Abrahamic religions have survived for thousands of years. In the rest of the world religion is booming. China is officially a secular state and Chinese Christians were persecuted by the atheist Mao for decades but Christianity is growing so rapidly that in fifteen years China will be the world's largest Christian country, with a quarter of a billion Christians.

The proof of the pudding's in the tasting, TheRam. If religion didn't fulfil a need it would have died out. The fact that you've replaced religion with whinging about religion just shows how deep that need is. Whatever keeps you going, TheRam.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

My imaginary friend Nelson is real you merkin.

yy_cheng

Coach
Sorry to keep banging on, Barry asked me to cite a couple of pieces of evidence.

Hey Barry,

Without getting into it too much, here's a couple of historian's writings corroborating the existence of Jesus.

There's really no debate that he existed and was well known for his teaching and actions. But that's not the confronting or contentious thing about it all. The question is - was he/is he who he said he was?
And if you look at what he was reported to have said, it's worth asking was he a liar, a lunatic or was he really the son of God as he claimed to be?

Just to be clear after Lingards nice words, I am a Christian, but I'd hate for you mob to feel like I was bible-bashing you. You're all big enough and ugly enough to make up your own minds; even Ram.

G

Thanks

Hey Barry,

G

Cheers mate. I was referring specifically to the assertion that there's more evidence of his existence than there is of Julius Caesar's existence (for which there are actually multiple sources of independent evidence contemporaneous with his life). Unlike the evidence of Caesar's existence, the main evidence of that of Jesus is from sources who lived after his death (e.g. Flavius, Cornelius Tacitus). I'm not saying that Jesus didn't exist as an individual (he very very probably did)....just that I understand why some have a reasonable doubt. And while I'd describe myself as an agnostic with an atheist leaning, I happen to believe that 99% of what the Jesus character had to say are pretty good prescriptions for how to live your life (they are largely consistent with a lot of earlier Greek philosophy). The bits I don't like are the whistles and bells and more sinister stuff added by opportunistic individuals in some of the institutions that have emerged over the centuries, and I find many parts of the OT either ludicrous or morally wrong (through my modern eyes anyway).
Cheers
Baz