What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houston to Newcastle?

Godz Illa

Coach
It's 100% true, unfortunately. I can see at least a modicum of logic in most of the club's recent player retention decisions, but not in this one. I hold out hope that the club has a serious ace in the hole, eg a substantial recruit.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Who's left for us to recruit? I can't think of any big name/marquee/good names out there for us to snag, unless we're going to lure someone out of his contract ala Newton, but at the end of the season.

starstrucklady on the WORL forums believes two signings, one from Melb and one from a Syd club, are in the wings. But I honestly can't see who we're going to get.

Godz Illa

Coach
The Melbourne one is Jeremy Smith, which hs been mooted for a while. Very astute signing, but I'm not sure he alone will assuage the pain of losing a quality youngster like Houston.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Godz Illa said:
The Melbourne one is Jeremy Smith, which hs been mooted for a while. Very astute signing, but I'm not sure he alone will assuage the pain of losing a quality youngster like Houston.

Well as far as I see it, it's a one for one deal ATM. Houston was a boom forward and only going to get better. Smith is great but I'd prefer to have Houston and Ryles in the front row with Smith in the second along with Creagh and Young.

We seem to only be replacing what we've lost ATM, not 'building'.

petetheileet

First Grade
hmm, i think the front rowers will come give them time, they will come thru.

and really i think Houston will never quite get to the front row, hes very slight, even though he can carry defenders i think he's better running the ball out wide.

It wouldn't surprise me if Creagh was to mingle in the front row before too long

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
This one will hurt the most. Wes is replaced by the Morris boys & hopefully Stanley & Nightingale & Wicks probably needs a change, but Howzo shows real promise.

Not good that we are letting all these yong guys walk. Salary cap may make it imposssible for us to retain when Knights reportedly have two million to spend, but I hope for Dousts sake that he comes up with some decent replacements.

dragonfire

Bench
if the side is fully fit the backrow would be

Young
Scott
Creagh

then we would have Setu and Payne on the bench, i think everyone knows that given a couple more seasons Chase Stanley is going to be moved into the forwards thus we do have a pretty good backrow even though we are losing some players which is always going to happen

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Fair points. I just personally think that Houston would have been a good long term proposition.

Payne & Setu are off contract at the end of this year. I will rest easy when they are locked up.

petetheileet

First Grade
dragonfire said:
if the side is fully fit the backrow would be

Young
Scott
Creagh

then we would have Setu and Payne on the bench, i think everyone knows that given a couple more seasons Chase Stanley is going to be moved into the forwards thus we do have a pretty good backrow even though we are losing some players which is always going to happen

couldnt have said it better myself!!!

Stanley and Setu could b there eventually instead of Scott

Dragooner

Bench
CLEANOUT!!!!!!!

Well, here it goes, losing Wes and Hunt etc was the start but now it truly is a club cleanout.

We need to snap someone up, what's the point of letting everyone go if we won't build!

Please sign Petro Doust! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Newcastle continued their raid on St George Illawarra's ranks with impressive backrower Chris Houston the latest Dragon to agree to terms with the Knights.

Houston will link with the Knights on a three-year deal from next season as Newcastle continue to move forward with their recruitment drive. The 22-year-old second rower will become the fourth Dragon to head north with winger Luke MacDougall having already made the switch mid-season and Danny Wicks and Wes Naiqama due to join the Knights in 2008.

Houston made his NRL debut for the Dragons earlier this year and has played six games in the top grade.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=14108

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Doust won't/can't sign Petero due to cap.

Also, sure our Second Row has Young, Creagh and Scott, with Setu and Payne benching it, but what about our front row?

Poore, Ryles, Thorby and Hunt? I thought Houston was better than Hunt, and we're rumoured to lose Hunt as well.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Fox News confirmed it also.

I can't believe they let Houston go. I am incandescent with rage...

Latest posts