What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How 2015 Is Shaping Up

drago brelli

Bench
Ennis and Cronulla are a perfect fit. If it's true that Sharks have signed Bird then they have a very good player. Another player worth a look is the half in the Cutters team, Hutchinson, another Illawarra local. The Dragons played Bird in the Cutters team against Newtown on the 20s bye weekend and he didn't do too much. As I say he is very good but needs to put on weight, may be S Dank can help out here. Good lock or five eighth.

Last edited:

cb4

First Grade
Jack is showing his versatility today and they have him playing fullback

You're getting awfully worked up over a young kid, ease up a bit.
He wasn't even the stand out forward in the under 20's Origin game.

Scored more tries than any sharks player

Jono Wright scored 14 tries the year we signed him, he has scored 9 in 2 years for us FWIW.

So has Matthew Wright and I wouldn't want him back either.i think Brown is a decent cover player but for us he would be a starter.

I believe we should never have let Wright go.
The kid was never ever given a chance to flourish at his preferred spot.
How was he supposed to carve out a career with us that saw him promoted to young, played off the bench, on the wing, at fullback, at 5/8 and in the back row.

The guy is an out and out centre. He scored our opening try for us in a game in the centres last year and was dropped after round 3. He was never gifted games like Pomeroy.
He was scraped after a poor showing.

Yet, he moves up to the Cowboys and they somehow unlock his talent? Don't say Thurston, Carney was equal to Thurston last year.
Was it coaching? I will say yes. There is a clique at the club. If you aren't in it, you never will be.
If you are in it and you fall out, you will never get back in (see Gards)

I had seen Wright play long before his time at Cronulla, and he is the most naturally gifted centre I had seen.
I had the opportunity to watch a few training sessions and he would carve up, yet on the weekend would find himself out of position.
Cronulla as a club has a habit of writing kids off if they have a shocker.
It happened to Mills, it happened to Chad, it is happening to Gards, it happened to Wright, and it will continue to happen to the kids whilst this culture we have is installed at the club.
It also happened to Ben Ross, but that is a different story.

God help Brown, Holmes and this bird kid if they play 1 bad game in first grade.

End rant.

As for Mitch Brown, he seems to have matured alot, probably because he got away from the club.
I am all for this signing, if he was signed to be first cab off the ranks with an injury.
Sadly, it looks like he will be first cab off the ranks for the right centre spot.
There is a better solution to that though, shift Ricky out right, put feki at Centre and have Mitch and Gagan on the wings.

Val Holmes won't start the year in firsts before anyone mentions this, he will be given time to mature against the big boys in NSW Cup and also time to put some weight on.

sharkadelic

Juniors
I always thought Wright got hardly done by. Never had the speed or flair for the wing but was a prisoner there. And rarely made mistakes at fullback. Ran hard and seemed strong - centre seemed logical. To any other team, I guess

Feej

First Grade
Was it coaching? I will say yes. There is a clique at the club. If you aren't in it, you never will be.

So essentially we're f**ked until Phlemmo and Gallen are gone?

So pumped for 2015 already!! :roll:

george43

Juniors

Jono Wright scored 14 tries the year we signed him, he has scored 9 in 2 years for us FWIW.

How was he supposed to carve out a career with us that saw him promoted to young, played off the bench, on the wing, at fullback, at 5/8 and in the back row.

The guy is an out and out centre. He scored our opening try for us in a game in the centres last year and was dropped after round 3. He was never gifted games like Pomeroy.

Yet, he moves up to the Cowboys and they somehow unlock his talent? Don't say Thurston, Carney was equal to Thurston last year.

I had seen Wright play long before his time at Cronulla, and he is the most naturally gifted centre I had seen.
I had the opportunity to watch a few training sessions and he would carve up, yet on the weekend would find himself out of position.
It happened to Mills, it happened to Chad, it is happening to Gards, it happened to Wright, and it will continue to happen to the kids whilst this culture we have is installed at the club.

God help Brown, Holmes and this bird kid if they play 1 bad game in first grade.

End rant.

As for Mitch Brown, he seems to have matured alot, probably because he got away from the club.
I am all for this signing, if he was signed to be first cab off the ranks with an injury.
Sadly, it looks like he will be first cab off the ranks for the right centre spot.
There is a better solution to that though, shift Ricky out right, put feki at Centre and have Mitch and Gagan on the wings.

Val Holmes won't start the year in firsts before anyone mentions this, he will be given time to mature against the big boys in NSW Cup and also time to put some weight on.
The vultures are circling after jack birds performance last night don't take things for gramted

webShark

End rant.

webShark

CB4 referring to a clique is spot on. My mail is the coaches make a call on the position and ability of a player and nothing will ever change it. I do know Flanno didn't rate Matt Wright. Also, they thought Ayshford was a poor trainer at Wests and they could knock him into shape. About the only call on a player I know they got right was Gagan. Sharpy rated him from their time at Parra.

I am not sure why Matt Wright was crap but he was IMO. I remember talking to a Pennies mate at the time who said "he is not the new Michael Jennings". Prophetic words.

Special K

Coach
jack bird has been the best player in his age group since he was like 16. Great pick up if true

Is Sopoaga staying?

Tucky

Juniors
jack bird has been the best player in his age group since he was like 16. Great pick up if true

Is Sopoaga staying?

Haven't heard about Sopoaga for 2015, but he likes going on about rugby union on his twitter account.

Latest posts