What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

blingblang

Juniors
this would be the ELVs that make RU more like RL, even in the eyes of union people.

we changed the rules of union in 1907 to become like RL.

100 years later union is now trying to copy.

you take our players, our coaches and you make the rules like our game.

you cant polish a tu*d mate. union will always be union.

but immitation is the best form of flattery.

we know RU wishes it was more like RL, thats why we all love RL so much

One would have to be incurably thick to suggest that. But we are talking about you aren't we..........:lol:

Regarding Vimpys blue collar comment, he couldn't possibly have been to the Perth Test this year could he............

Parra

Referee
How could I question the rich tradition of international rugby league.

Good to hear it is alive and well.

If only it was obvious, but as long as it is just me who doesn't see it - the rest of the fans can keep enjoying it.

Maybe they could even borrow the "Reserved for Ghosts" sign when they go.

My opinion is that international RL has been weakened so much by origin that it has become third rate - behind Origin & the NRL.

Keep on fighting for those "Ashes" .

How could I question the rich tradition of international rugby league.

Good to hear it is alive and well.

If only it was obvious, but as long as it is just me who doesn't see it - the rest of the fans can keep enjoying it.

Maybe they could even borrow the "Reserved for Ghosts" sign when they go.

My opinion is that international RL has been weakened so much by origin that it has become third rate - behind Origin & the NRL.

Keep on fighting for those "Ashes" .

mate dont believe the media BS.

go and read a bit about the history of international RL.

for something like 40 years we couldnt beat GB in an ashes series.

its only since the 80s weve been dominant.

SL is growing as a competition and isnt far behind the nrl.

with clubs in wales and france as well, it wont be long before we have 5 strong RL nations at international level.

google rorkes drift in RL, see what the means and tell me what you think

No it's not. Most discerning RL fans will know it.

Plus GB (or England) v Australia Tests pre-date the Ashes moniker by several years and include some of the game's great moments and personalities, Harold Wagstaff and the Rorke's Drift Test to name but one.

the first RLWC and the unlikely winners.

a GB test captain (sullivan?) playing with a broken arm to ensure his team held onto the ashes.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think Origin has actually helped Australia into a dominant, as well as expanding the competition since 1988.

As Dallymessanger mentioned, in the pre war era we rarely beat the Poms and it was tough enough down under it was a huge challenge over in England.

We've produced some great champions, so as our Sydney comp grew and got players from Queensland, we started to get better at International level. So we finally beat GB in 1950, first time in 30 years we won a series, then for a while we struggled against New Zealand and France.

Then it was 1963 we finally beat Great Britain in Great Britain, and comprehensively too.

It was still tough, but 1982 was the first 3-0 series win over Great Britain and we've done it 3 times since. But its always tough against Great Britain

Who remembers 1992, Australia Vs Great Britain, SFS. Packed house, 40,000. There were a number of Union jack flags all over the ground, the whole crowd was vocal, you could hear the Barmy Army and then when Australia scored first there was a loud cheer from all over the ground.

I wish we could go back to the days when the SCG, Lang Park was packed. And over in England, Wembley Stadium and Old Trafford had massive crowds and a great atmosphere. And Kiwis would remember the sell out crowd of 40,000 at Eden Park in 1988.

We're not far off it though, the World Cup final is a sellout and I hope 50,000 turn up for the cup final no matter who plays.

I dont think the International RL is doing enough though, they could do a lot better.

i went to that test with mates at the SFS.

england are getting better all the time.

the solution for NZ and the pacific islands is to open up origin selection to all nrl players.

why should people like karmichael hunt choose australia because they want to play origin, when they can play for queensland and nz.

and we should only get players for australia who like the green and gold, not the blue or maroon

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well I think the rules should change just cause you play Origin doesnt automatically mean you play for Australia.

I mean if we're gonna see Brett White play for Ireland and Peter Wallace play for Scotland we might as well invite anyone as long as they played junior football in NSW and Queensland.

Well I think the rules should change just cause you play Origin doesnt automatically mean you play for Australia.

I mean if we're gonna see Brett White play for Ireland and Peter Wallace play for Scotland we might as well invite anyone as long as they played junior football in NSW and Queensland.

hunt would rather play for NZ, mason maybe as well, thorn wouldve when he played RL, as would carroll.

put those in the kiwi side and how much better is it.

what about civinociva playing for fiji?

let them play origin for wherever they play their first senior footy and then let them pick which nation they want to respresent at international level.

its one reason why SBW left.

and you were right, it was prescott.

Latest posts