What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

Parra

Referee
Under 100.

Now please explain the 100 year league ashes test tradition. Sorry - I meant 100 years plus.

screeny

Bench
Calling it tradition doesn't make it so.

WTF are you on about? Are you saying Ashes tests aren't part of RL tradition? They are the single most iconic part of RL's proud on-field heritage in my opinion.

As for other people comparing scores in RL and RU as a means of justifying RU 'excitement' this is completely disengenuous.

RU has more stoppages, high value penalties, more infringements, more players on the field and no offside gap. All of these factors combined lead to the probability of closer scores towards then end of a match than RL.

They're two very, very different sports. Blowouts pervade RL as it's a much more physically demanding sport.

Calixte

First Grade
Under 100? Good. Respect your elders...

Rugby league's Test tradition dates from 1 January 1908 - NZ v Wales. 100 plus years (the first Australia v England Test dates from 12 December 1908).

Johns Magic

Referee
Under 100? Good. Respect your elders...

Rugby league's Test tradition dates from 1 January 1908 - NZ v Wales. 100 plus years (the first Australia v England Test dates from 12 December 1908).

That's under 100 years for the Ashes

Calixte

First Grade
The term Ashes was applied to rugby league Tests from the early part of the 20th century - although the records aren't clear.

In recognition of this, a gold "Ashes" cup was struck and has been played for by the sides since 1928.

Parra

Referee
The term Ashes was applied to rugby league Tests from the early part of the 20th century - although the records aren't clear.

In recognition of this, a gold "Ashes" cup was struck and has been played for by the sides since 1928.

That's a very well kept secret.

Calixte

First Grade
So you lied that the Ashes tradition is over 100 years old? Or you just got it wrong?

I didn't see the reference to the "Ashes" tradition originally, rather thought the tradition of "Tests" was being discussed. Comes from catching up on 1.5 days of posts in this thread and on LU generally!

Again, I explained the relevant dates in full.

Continue to troll though. I can understand why you are so desperate given the roasting I gave you early in this thread (and previously here on LU). :lol::lol::lol:

Johns Magic

Referee
I didn't see the reference to the "Ashes" tradition originally, rather thought the tradition of "Tests" was being discussed. Comes from catching up on 1.5 days of posts in this thread and on LU generally!

Again, I explained the relevant dates in full.

Continue to troll though. I can understand why you are so desperate given the roasting I gave you early in this thread (and previously here on LU). :lol::lol::lol:

Haha, yes Calixte.

You're a hero.

Keep back-pedalling you liar.

Calixte

First Grade
Haha, yes Calixte.

You're a hero.

Keep back-pedalling you liar.

In any event, in its "100th" year or "100 years plus" isn't exactly a hanging offence is it?

Certainly not compared to some of the rubbish being put forward as fact by your troll mates. :lol:

screeny

Bench
That's a very well kept secret.
No it's not. Most discerning RL fans will know it.

Plus GB (or England) v Australia Tests pre-date the Ashes moniker by several years and include some of the game's great moments and personalities, Harold Wagstaff and the Rorke's Drift Test to name but one.

Latest posts