What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

Johns Magic

Referee
i forgot about the drubbing the wallabies copped on the weekend.

yes some of the top nations in union and the result was a massive blowout.

thanks for that.

SA and england both made the final of the last WC.

they played a pool game before that where SA smashed england by over 30

if union is competitive at an international level, how can all these blowouts between top nations exist.

England were missing by far their best player in Wilkinson. That's why.

Thomas

First Grade
And blow outs don't occur in soccer...which has only had 7 winners (I think).

Carn man...you can admit it. You are wrong.

England were missing by far their best player in Wilkinson. That's why.

so when australia beat nz in an anzac test missing half their team then people shouldnt be saying international RL isnt competitive then should they.

or do those excuses only work for union.

next

And blow outs don't occur in soccer...which has only had 7 winners (I think).

Carn man...you can admit it. You are wrong.

soccer is the only genuine WC.

union trying to make all these noise about being popular.

its a minority sport in every nations its played except NZ and SA.

there are more RL fans just in australia than probably union world wide.

RL doesnt go around big noting itself.

RU is full of more hot air than a politician trying to get re elected.

Calixte

First Grade
I don't dispute that. But I think you'd agree with me that international RL does not need rude, arrogant, myopic blowhards who are so insecure that they feel the need to shout "owned" every time they think they have scored on a message board, -- or PM someone in cowardly disgrace when they know they've just let one in.

The "owned" reference responded to someone else's comment, dimwit.

Your problem was I started bagging you at your 2nd post (in TFC) - your troll credentials were clear from the start - and you haven't forgiven me. :lol:

Stiff sh*t. Troll.

Calixte

First Grade
regardless of how many times you repeat this, a certain section of league fans (the likes of Calixte and Dailymessager) will cover their ears with their hands and say things like "our athletes are better, why are their ratings so crap" ... etc etc).

This is a thread about the atmosphere at internationals. If league could get half as much atmosphere at internationals as union does, they'd be doing well.

But try telling that to the one eyed.

Troll, refer to the 1994 Test comments also.

Calixte

First Grade
You may joke, but kids love the haka and they are future supporters.

And perhaps you might try singing national anthems. It might create a bit of atmosphere.

We do both and have done for years.

You big RL fan you... :lol:

Johns Magic

Referee
:lol:

i thought you were a RL fan.

why does nz normally have half a team out for an anzac day clash?

Ah, too afraid to answer I see.

I'll tell you why. Because club footy is seen as more important than internationals, so clubs refuse to release their players.

That's how little the RL community cares about the international game.

What a joke.

Calixte

First Grade
i went to a bledisloe once. after 10 minutes i wanted to neck myself. SO BORING. SO QUIET.

You can't have. The atmosphere at union internationals is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Mouse and Vampy (supported by alfie) said so. :lol:

Ah, too afraid to answer I see.

I'll tell you why. Because club footy is seen as more important than internationals, so clubs refuse to release their players.

That's how little the RL community cares about the international game.

What a joke.

blame the SL clubs for not releasing them.

RL has enough players to have a fantastic international scence.

and i defy anyone who watched the tri nations in australia and tell me it didnt s**t on any union test.

GB beat aus in sydney, and the final went to golden point.

Calixte

First Grade
mate i havent even been arguing with you?? i really couldnt give a crap about union to be honest. it just doesnt exist in my universe. and any contact ive had with union fans has been vastly negative. but thats just me.

as for international league i reckon its a bit of a lost cause and i have no suggestions.

1. Education.
2. Promotion.
3. Clubs releasing players to countries other than Australia.
4. A level playing field at international level (still favours Australia).
5. Making it attractive for Polynesian and Maori kids to play for NZ not Australia (see the above).

open up origin to all nrl players.

then all of a sudden nz, tonga, samoa, fiji would be very strong vs australia.

overnight youd have 5 strong RL nations here.

and with a welsh club in SL and LC in super league, france and wales are only getting stronger.

not that hard to get too.

Johns Magic

Referee
blame the SL clubs for not releasing them.

RL has enough players to have a fantastic international scence.

and i defy anyone who watched the tri nations in australia and tell me it didnt s**t on any union test.

GB beat aus in sydney, and the final went to golden point.

Regardless of what you think, until people start giving some importance to international league, it will remain a joke.

Even Frank Pritchard, one of NZ's biggest stars, has chosen to have surgery instead of play in this World Cup.

Asked about surgery on his right, he said: "With the World Cup at the end of the year, I'd love to play in that but the club comes first, so . . . I've been delaying it for a couple of years, my right shoulder, so I think it's time I just get it done.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24049000-5012662,00.html

Club before country...choosing to put off surgery for two years until the WC...you can see what he thinks of international league.

screeny

Bench
Yes, and its nothing of the sort in my opinion. Ridiculous comparison. Like comparing the atmosphere at the British Open to that at Wimbledon.
Eh? The British open and Wimbledon is comparing golf to tennis. The RL Ashes and RU tests is a comparison between RL and RU! Isn't that the point of this thread?

Or did you think I mean the cricket, because you have little knowledge of RL established tradition?

Latest posts