What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can we give League tests the special feel that Union ones have?

roughyedspud

Coach
Maybe you're right, I concede. But Ill tell you one thing, Id put my house on Rugby League WC winner, I wouldnt do the same for Union.

i'll bet you my house, and if england win the RLWC we swap homes :D

and to the dipsh!t that said that GB have split up therefor england would be weaker......:lol: all of the GB team that beat the kiwis 3-0 last time out are english :lol: and in recent years brian carney (ireland) & keiron cunningham (wales) have been the only non-englishmen in the GB team....and they where always injured anyway..

Cheezel

Juniors
Trinations 2006 final in Sydney had an awesome atmosphere - up there with the best at any game I've been to, Saints v Tigers 2005 semi aside.

I agree the 2006 Tri-Nations Final at the SFS was one of the best games I have been to and had the atmosphere to match. The game was not even a sellout but the crowd made it sound like a full house. For the final 10 minutes of the second half and the extra time period everyone was on their feet.

Cheezel

Juniors
Correct if me if I am wrong but there is not Great Britain in the world cup. England, Scotland and Ireland. SO make a weak team weaker. That has to be good for the rugby league world cup. This reduces the competition to 2 team who might win and AUstralia flogged NZ last time. Hmm. Maybe PNG can give the Kangaroos a scare.

If you followed Rugby League you would know that the GB side of 2007 was made up of English players. So infact by spitting GB up into home nations will help develop Wales, Ireland and Scotland in the long term.

badav

Bench
Anyone go to the Australia V England World Cup final in 2003?
If League could ever dream of capturing that kind of atmosphere, our superior product would put us streets ahead of any other sport(except probably soccer) in the world.

What is all the rubbish about league being a superior product. If it was it wouldnt be concentrated on the east coast of one country. League doesnt have what it takes to appeal to the masses when compared to other sports. Thats just fact.

Cheezel

Juniors
Maybe you're right, I concede. But Ill tell you one thing, Id put my house on Rugby League WC winner, I wouldnt do the same for Union.

You would not have a house if you did it in the 2005 Tri-Nations series :lol: and you would of been very nervous during the 2006 Tri-Nations series

Johns Magic

Referee
And the All Blecks have choked for 21 years straight. They should have won all of the union WCs since it started.

So?

But instead the last three World Cups have been won by three different underdogs. The All Blacks haven't even made the grand-final.

Talk about unpredictability.

Meanwhile the same team has won the RLWC for the last four decades.

You've been thoroughly owned all thread.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
What is all the rubbish about league being a superior product. If it was it wouldnt be concentrated on the east coast of one country. League doesnt have what it takes to appeal to the masses when compared to other sports. Thats just fact.

Ah you see Badav, according to the one-eyed on this forum you must be a troll because you are right!

Cheezel

Juniors

Try telling that to the American's about the NFL.

I think we all know that Rugby Union has a bigger international presence then League. But that does not make Union a superior product. If it was League would of lasted 10 years back in 1895.

VictoryFC

Bench

Thats just ridiculous. All bias aside, sports popularity is relative. Most people in this world grow up on soccer, hence why its the most popular. If you grow up like I did from the age of 5 playing soccer all the way through to 17 (when I stopped), its going to be a deadset certainty that you'll prefer the sport to be your number 1.

I moved around a lot as a kid. I grew up on soccer til I was 7, then in NZ I fell in love with cricket, Union and the Warriors. I havent been able to get into the AFL living in Melbourne because I think I got to that cut off point when I was introduced to AFL, where you just become ignorant towards other sports.

If the world grew up on gridiron, league, ice hockey, baseball, they would all individually be the most popular sports on earth. it just so happens most of the world grows up on soccer. That doesnt make soccer superior to every other sport, it just gives it a competetive advantage and makes things like the FIFA World Cup the tournament it is. Every sport could have that, but we need to change history and the evolution of sports for that to happen.

The point is, you cant say League is a worse product because its only popular on "the east coast, otherwise it would rule the world". Its a misguided view

Last edited:

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Thats just ridiculous. All bias aside, sports popularity is relative. Most people in this world grow up on soccer, hence why its the most popular. If you grow up like I did from the age of 5 Gplaying soccer all the way through to 17 (when I stopped), its going to be a deadset certainty that you'll prefer the sport to be your number 1.

I moved around a lot as a kid. I grew up on soccer til I was 7, then in NZ I fell in love with cricket, Union and the Warriors. I havent been able to get into the AFL living in Melbourne because I think I got to that cut off point when I was introduced to AFL, where you just become ignorant towards other sports.

If the world grew up on gridiron, league, ice hockey, baseball, they would all individually be the most popular sports on earth. it just so happens most of the world grows up on soccer. That doesnt make soccer superior to every other sport, it just gives it a competetive advantage and makes things like the FIFA World Cup the tournament it is. Every sport could have that, but we need to change history and the evolution of sports for that to happen.

The point is, you cant say League is a worse product because its only popular on "the east coast, otherwise it would rule the world". Its a misguided view

Getting in first means a hell of a lot. Soccer has a natural advantage in that everyone can play it. Rugby league's appeal is gladatorial, yet it is also its disadvantage.

Calixte

First Grade
But instead the last three World Cups have been won by three different underdogs. The All Blacks haven't even made the grand-final.

Talk about unpredictability.

Meanwhile the same team has won the RLWC for the last four decades.

You've been thoroughly owned all thread.

Examples?

Pots and kettles...

Calixte

First Grade

Yawn.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Union is as much an east coast game in Australia as league is. It is regional in England also, what big union clubs are in Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham etc? There are none. France, it is strong in the south, what about the north? Scotland? Does anyone care. It doesn't appeal to the masses at all, club games compared to soccer are ordinary.

Union has been smart in that most of their internationals have been one-off games which has saved them from the same side winning series over and over as it is easy to lift for one game. The All Blacks have a higher win percentage than the Kangaroos.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
Caxilite can't even admit a Bledisloe Cup match has a great atmosphere. What credibility or objectivity can he possibly have?

Latest posts