What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you sum up Luke Burt?

How good IS Luke Burt?

• Hugely underrated - Should be in contention for the Tri-Nations

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • He's a pretty handy player in a purple patch

Votes: 127 76.0%
  • He's rubbish

Votes: 20 12.0%

• Total voters

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
The Mack said:
Only plays good when the team plays good. Never a standout in a losing side, won't win a match based on his own brilliance. His early introduction to FG has led to him being an experienced member of the team, therefore his on-field nous is of a high standard, he is a 'young veteran' in the Lance Thompson style, but in terms of talent & skill, he is pretty average. His experience & understanding of players will lead to his opportunistic tries such as supporting players or pouncing on grubbers. He isn't very fast, isn't very strong, his kick returns are soft, his defence is average, but his understanding of the game due to his years in FG aid him & put him above the status of nuffy, but still well below the status of 'star'. Therefore will never be anything more than a handy FGer, capable of shining in a team that is doing well. No complaints over his goalkicking though. Sharpshooter

He is still behind Minichiello, Stewart, Wesser, Slater, Kidley, Kearney, Hunt, Campbell, Peachey in terms of fullbacks in the comp anyway.

'opportunistic' my arse, he calls for those grubbers... and the halves actually listen to him. He always supports the ball carrier, watch the game more closely and you will see how many times he comes empty handed. His defence is much improved, i no longer have my heart in mouth when there is a break made... because he does stop the man (he even stopped weyman eele, just not conventionally) Only thing he needs working on is his kick returns IMO.

D

Deleted member 10972

Mr. Fahrenheit said:
'opportunistic' my arse, he calls for those grubbers... and the halves actually listen to him. He always supports the ball carrier, watch the game more closely and you will see how many times he comes empty handed. His defence is much improved, i no longer have my heart in mouth when there is a break made... because he does stop the man (he even stopped weyman eele, just not conventionally) Only thing he needs working on is his kick returns IMO.

He did call for them, but they are still opportunistic tries. Those sort of kicks with those sort of calls are done all the time, he is just your designated grubber-chaser, same way Brett Stewart calls it from Mick Monas & Manly. His defence is still pretty average IMO, his positioning could be a bit better (alot of the tries scored against Parra he is not there, Minto last night, Harrison & Perrett the week before, etc), & he needs to wrap up the ball (watch Faumuina's try last night, that should've been stopped).

Improved player from 2004, yes, he was garbage in 04. But still just a handy FGer in form. He is still yet to step up in tight situations (other than his goalkicking), & is yet to put in enough inspirational performances when the team has been down on form. The best players stand tall in losing sides, Burt goes into a shell & is nowhere to be seen.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Mack said:
Only plays good when the team plays good. Never a standout in a losing side, won't win a match based on his own brilliance. His early introduction to FG has led to him being an experienced member of the team, therefore his on-field nous is of a high standard, he is a 'young veteran' in the Lance Thompson style, but in terms of talent & skill, he is pretty average. His experience & understanding of players will lead to his opportunistic tries such as supporting players or pouncing on grubbers. He isn't very fast, isn't very strong, his kick returns are soft, his defence is average, but his understanding of the game due to his years in FG aid him & put him above the status of nuffy, but still well below the status of 'star'. Therefore will never be anything more than a handy FGer, capable of shining in a team that is doing well. No complaints over his goalkicking though. Sharpshooter

He is still behind Minichiello, Stewart, Wesser, Slater, Kidley, Kearney, Hunt, Campbell, Peachey in terms of fullbacks in the comp anyway.

Right, right...

So when Minichiello/Stewart/Bowen/Hunt/Slater/Inglis/whoever pounces on a grubber, they're brilliant...But when Burt does it, it's because of his experience...

So when El Masri scores 24 points in one match, he's a genius...When Burt does it, he's ordinary...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mr. Fahrenheit said:

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't bagging the guy. It's great to see him in career-best form.

I was just saying that, in comparison to guys like Minichiello, Hunt, Inglis and Stewart, Burty's defence may not be as strong - hence why he never gets chosen for rep sides.

D

Deleted member 10972

Eelementary said:
Right, right...

So when Minichiello/Stewart/Bowen/Hunt/Slater/Inglis/whoever pounces on a grubber, they're brilliant...But when Burt does it, it's because of his experience...

So when El Masri scores 24 points in one match, he's a genius...When Burt does it, he's ordinary...

No no, i think you missed my point. Those fullbacks aren't brilliant for pouncing on grubbers, they have the ability to break a game themselves without their teammates help & score tries, never said they were brilliant for that.

And Hazem, pfft, Burt = Hazem. Never ever thought Hazem was a genius, he is similar to Burt in that his experience rather than natural ability scores him points, not to mention his boot. Neither are rep players though IMO, just solid club wingers. How Hazem is rated as high as he is confuses me as much as the rest of us non-Doggie supporters.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
The Mack said:
He did call for them, but they are still opportunistic tries. Those sort of kicks with those sort of calls are done all the time, he is just your designated grubber-chaser, same way Brett Stewart calls it from Mick Monas & Manly. His defence is still pretty average IMO, his positioning could be a bit better (alot of the tries scored against Parra he is not there, Minto last night, Harrison & Perrett the week before, etc), & he needs to wrap up the ball (watch Faumuina's try last night, that should've been stopped).

Improved player from 2004, yes, he was garbage in 04. But still just a handy FGer in form. He is still yet to step up in tight situations (other than his goalkicking), & is yet to put in enough inspirational performances when the team has been down on form. The best players stand tall in losing sides, Burt goes into a shell & is nowhere to be seen.

he was our best in the 29-0 loss to the cows in the prelim final.

D

Deleted member 10972

No he wasn't, best by length of the straight was Nathan Cayless. Burt was mid-range...his defence positionally was piss poor, & his dummy half runs were weak, but he made some good runs thanks to Ben Smith (i think?) linking up with him on some attacking movements. Burt was garbage vs Storm last year, that harked back to 2004 Round 26, getting dominated, turnstile defence. He is the sort of player who tends to look very good in a winning side but is relatively absent in a losing side. Won't make glaring errors, but does nothing of note.

He can kick a goal with the best of them though. Was it Taylor who turned him into a sharpshooter?

Y2Eel

First Grade
The Mack said:

:crazy:
His defence is pretty ordinary he has better defence them most fullbacks out there only Patten/slater are better positional players then Burt ATM..

Minto's try come from a break dwn in play Harrisons try was due to poor defence out wide(Tim Smith)..
Where was Mini when parra where scoring all those tries the other week?

OnFaumuinas try last night good luck to any fuulback try to stop that try...:roll:

D

Deleted member 10972

Mini's defence has been awful this year. But a year out of the game is a fair enough reason. He isn't match fit IMO, physically he is fine, his runs are still very strong, he is still quick, & he has a high workrate, but his game senses have been dulled due to a year out of footy, & that causes a few handling errors in attack, & positional errors in defence.

Notice how the only people jumping to Burts aid are Parra supporters? But honestly, most unbiased footy watchers can see that his defence is pretty average.

Y2Eel

First Grade
The Mack said:
Mini's defence has been awful this year. But a year out of the game is a fair enough reason. He isn't match fit IMO, physically he is fine, his runs are still very strong, he is still quick, & he has a high workrate, but his game senses have been dulled due to a year out of footy, & that causes a few handling errors in attack, & positional errors in defence.

Notice how the only people jumping to Burts aid are Parra supporters? But honestly, most unbiased footy watchers can see that his defence is pretty average.
And how many games had Burt played at fullback last year? He's only just became a Full Time Fullback, and his positional play is better then a seasoned player like Mini go figure :lol:

I wonder why A Rooster supporter is the only one bagging him?

sooperdooper

First Grade
burt is in great form....
he is a very loyal player...
i cant see how 'the mack' cant see his ability here.. on form one of best in comp! and we arent just talking one game!
he is standing tall this year and has really claimed the number 1 at parra

COACH STERLING

Juniors
I'd say he's the type of player that feeds of players around him. He wouldn't exactly look like a world beater in a teamm like the raiders, where as Zillman does. He defence is average, but his poaching skills along with his back play is good. I say 6.5/10

Eelementary

Post Whore
So how's this for a match-turning play:

We're up, 14-4. The Cowboys are relentlessly attacking our line. They put a kick into the in-goal and we clean it up - drop-out Cowboys.

Luke Burt, noticing that the marker in front of him has his back turned, quickly takes a short drop-out for himself - and recovers the ball for his team. Woosh! - there went any pressure the Eels had on their line, and they go 100 metres to score a try down the other end of the field.

How many times have El MAsri, Stewart, Minichiello, Hunt, etc. done that?

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Mack said:
No he wasn't, best by length of the straight was Nathan Cayless. Burt was mid-range...his defence positionally was piss poor, & his dummy half runs were weak, but he made some good runs thanks to Ben Smith (i think?) linking up with him on some attacking movements. Burt was garbage vs Storm last year, that harked back to 2004 Round 26, getting dominated, turnstile defence. He is the sort of player who tends to look very good in a winning side but is relatively absent in a losing side. Won't make glaring errors, but does nothing of note.

He can kick a goal with the best of them though. Was it Taylor who turned him into a sharpshooter?

Not really - he's been doing a lot of work with Halligan this season.

D

Deleted member 10972

Eelementary said:
So how's this for a match-turning play:

We're up, 14-4. The Cowboys are relentlessly attacking our line. They put a kick into the in-goal and we clean it up - drop-out Cowboys.

Luke Burt, noticing that the marker in front of him has his back turned, quickly takes a short drop-out for himself - and recovers the ball for his team. Woosh! - there went any pressure the Eels had on their line, and they go 100 metres to score a try down the other end of the field.

How many times have El MAsri, Stewart, Minichiello, Hunt, etc. done that?

Which one of them take the drop outs?

AND STOP using El Masri! I think the guy is an overrated hack, why does everyone use him as an example?

D

Deleted member 10972

sooperdooper said:
burt is in great form....
he is a very loyal player...
i cant see how 'the mack' cant see his ability here.. on form one of best in comp! and we arent just talking one game!
he is standing tall this year and has really claimed the number 1 at parra

Never said i can't see his ability, i'm just putting forth the notion that he is just really a handy player, nothing more, in a purple patch, loyalty has nothing to do with it. If loyalty was a big deal, then Brendan Hall must be a legendary player :lol:

D

Deleted member 10972

COACH STERLING said:
I'd say he's the type of player that feeds of players around him. He wouldn't exactly look like a world beater in a teamm like the raiders, where as Zillman does. He defence is average, but his poaching skills along with his back play is good. I say 6.5/10

Probably 7 out of 10 with his kicking, but other then that, pretty much spot on. Excellent poacher & footy sense, but not much genuine talent. All his plays are due to extensive experience & hard work.

Burt is an average first grader in a purple patch, although there are a good half a dozen fullbacks who are better than him.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
he was going to be the next ET, now that 'The Mack' and 'Marshall Magic' have told me that he is nothing more than a handy player... i mite as well just go cut myself :cry: :roll:

in all honesty, mack your story has changed so many times... im over trying to prove burt haters wrong. If you dont appreciate him for what he is, your loss IMO.