What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you sum up Luke Burt?

How good IS Luke Burt?

• Hugely underrated - Should be in contention for the Tri-Nations

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • He's a pretty handy player in a purple patch

Votes: 127 76.0%
  • He's rubbish

Votes: 20 12.0%

• Total voters

Bazal

Post Whore
Funny thing....before his collarbone injuries in 2003 Burt was finally reaching his potential, he was in this sort of form, had been moved to the back full time, was looking like he does now. Everyone was talking about Luke Burt, there were articles about "Boom Boy Burt" etc etc. Then he snapped his collarbone, was out for a bit, was brought back too early and snapped it again, and with the signing of McKinnon was never really at fullback again until the back end of last year, when once again he was on fire. Given an off season, and another good run at the number 1 jersey, and he's suddenly in that sort of form again. I would suggest that, given the evidence, he is a much better fullback than people give him credit for (me included, re my original posts in this thread)...and he will show that this season. Add the fact he is only 25, and he could very well become a very good player...

Mr. Fahrenheit said:
he was going to be the next ET, now that 'The Mack' and 'Marshall Magic' have told me that he is nothing more than a handy player.

it appears that 119 other people agree with me on this one.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Marshall_magic said:
it appears that 119 other people agree with me on this one.

:lol: How long does a purple patch last? Has Benji's Purple patch ended?

gregstar

Referee
please correct me if i'm wrong.

from memory did he hit the scene in '99, was an instant hit & had longish blonde hair?

that's what i recall.

Y2Eel said:
:lol: How long does a purple patch last? Has Benji's Purple patch ended?

If you call it that, but at least during his he won a premiership, played for his country and got a contract worth more than Burt could ever dream of.

D

Deleted member 10972

Mr. Fahrenheit said:
he was going to be the next ET, now that 'The Mack' and 'Marshall Magic' have told me that he is nothing more than a handy player... i mite as well just go cut myself :cry: :roll:

in all honesty, mack your story has changed so many times... im over trying to prove burt haters wrong. If you dont appreciate him for what he is, your loss IMO.

LOL, my story never changed on here, my hatred of him is solely due to you & your obsession with him, N2LB :lol:. In reality, he is, as Marshall_Magic said, an average player in form, nothing more. But when it is between me & you, Burt is the new Eion Crossan.

Bazal

Post Whore
The Mack said:
LOL, my story never changed on here, my hatred of him is solely due to you & your obsession with him, N2LB :lol:. In reality, he is, as Marshall_Magic said, an average player in form, nothing more. But when it is between me & you, Burt is the new Eion Crossan.

Every time he's been given a good go at fullback, he's been a star for us. He is not a superstar by any means, but far better than an average player in form as I said at the top of the page. Add his loyalty into the mix and I wouldn't want many other players over him, whether you rate the kid or not....

Y2Eel

First Grade
Marshall_magic said:
If you call it that, but at least during his he won a premiership, played for his country and got a contract worth more than Burt could ever dream of.

Well how long does a purple patch last? till he stuff up once?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
The Mack said:

yeah 'on here'. whatever, this topic will always divide the public... because there are alot of haters.

D

Deleted member 10972

There aren't any haters. See the poll?

There's the people who see Burt for what he is, a solid FGer & nothing more, who like most FGers if given as much opportunities as he has, will eventually hit a purple patch in his career. Then, there are the few diehards who blow their own player out of the water. There has already been the Luke Covell brigade that has since come & gone, are you blokes next?

PS, if you didn't know, i voted for the "He's a pretty handy player in a purple patch" option.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
there are no haters now because he is doing well, close to our best all year. But as soon as he isnt in the top 5 at our club, they haters come out of the woodwork.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It doesn't really matter that Mini, Hunt, etc, don't take the drop-outs for their teams. Hell, you could include Prince, Lockyer, etc. into the mix and you'd still find that Burt is more adept at the short drop-out than people give him credit for. He was also (and could still be) our leading 40/20 kicker.

And why is it that if Lyon or Lockyer scores two tries and kicks 8 goals from 9 attempts (and bag a personal tally of 24 points for the night) that they are superstars, and yet Luke scores 24 points and he's average at best?

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Mack said:
There aren't any haters. See the poll?

There's the people who see Burt for what he is, a solid FGer & nothing more, who like most FGers if given as much opportunities as he has, will eventually hit a purple patch in his career. Then, there are the few diehards who blow their own player out of the water. There has already been the Luke Covell brigade that has since come & gone, are you blokes next?

PS, if you didn't know, i voted for the "He's a pretty handy player in a purple patch" option.

Dude...You're saying all this...And you're wearing a banner featuring Craig Fitzgibbon...

I know, I know - he played for NSW and Australia blah, blah, blah...It doesn't take away from the fact that he's a soild First Grader lucky enough to have played some representative football.

The Preacher

First Grade
With the form he's showing at the moment, he'd be in any NRL side picked. As far as rep footy goes though, there's a few in front of him in the pecking order.