What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Call me captain emo if you must, but I have a genuine concern about our ability to be a real premiership threat any time in the next few years? When you look at our playing roster, with the exception of the first half of last year, in recent years we haven't been firmly entrenched in the top eight at any stage. Sure, I know people will call it a "rebuilding phase", but I thought we had that in 07/08?

Some people (yes, this is directed at you Karma), have blamed Smith for the current situation we find ourselves in, but the fact of the matter is that with the exception of Henry, Likiliki and Costigan (at this stage anyway), the side we'll trot out next year will be similar to what we've got this year. Next year may be different, it may not be, but I just struggle to see how the additions of three players to our roster can somehow rocket us up the table into somewhat of a premiership threat.

I understand we've got a fair bit of room under the salary cap - what are we doing with it?

TooheysNew

Coach
Not throwing it all on one player i'd imagine.

Honestly, i'm all for writing off next season as well. Hit it hard in 2012 when there are a stack of players off contract. If we still struggle then, i'll have a problem with it.

We can't sign players that don't want to play here.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
But that's been the problem for so many years, Coby. Maybe we need to do something different in terms of selling the place to make players want to come here.

aqua_duck

Coach
i believe the coach is a big reason players choose to sign or not, and money aside no one will sign here to play for a bloke they've never heard of and who's results are hardly flattering

Joker's Wild

Coach
Plenty signed for the Bulldogs when they changed to a rookie coach after a bottom 8 year.

Stone has very little to do with our club perception in the player market. Brian Smith, a well known coach, had similar issues recruiting players here too

perverse

Referee
we'll be contenders when the front row goes forward. potentially 2012 unless something very surprising happens between now and next season.

Noname36

First Grade
For all the negativity, in all reality, we're been more successful enticing players to the club this year than we have in the past. Remember that we pretty much paid market value for Costigan. In the past (even with Andrew Johns) we'd have basically no chance of enticing a current Origin rep from the comp's best side to the club...let alone paying market value for them.

From what I've heard, there were also a lot of other clubs after Henry. We must have done something that was appealing. And considering we're still being told how much money we have left, I don't think that deciding factor was money.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom. We're having a bad year, but I think we'll bounce back (hopefully sooner rather than later). Even if things don't work out with Henry, I'm reasonably confident that someone like Roberts will be able to make the step up in a few years (he's not ready now...he's just a baby ffs). And I'm also one of those "crazy" people who thinks that Mullen will bounce back. The future is looking bright in the playmaking department.

If we can somehow snag someone like Farrar, our backline will be looking fantastic. Even if we don't though, I'm still confident that Likiliki or someone will be able to make the step up.

Our forwards are still going to be an issue if we can't sign anyone else, but I think we'll eventually have some signing luck in that department.

I don't think we'll do anything next year, as if we lose all of Doogs, Simmo and Cross, our side is going to be very young. However if we can keep them together, I'd be pretty positive going into the 2012-2013 seasons.

macavity

Referee
lets look at our competition.

Saints... strong club, huge catchment, breed good 'uns and can recruit at will.

coming up 31 years without a title.

probably about that long then.

Alex28

Coach
2011 will be good for figuring out which of our juniors will be able to cut it long-term. Other than that we will have to hit the market a damn side harder than we did this year.

Beau Henry could be the catalyst for change if he is as good as we all hope he is. What i mean is that he proves to be a halfback that can win big games and possibly a future title. I sincerely believe that the clubs people like to sign on for are ones with excellent halves and a decent forward pack which can most often stand tall. The backs can be a dime a dozen and you could pick them from a hat as long as you have proper go forward and playmakers to create room for them to do their thing. We rely on our backs to make things happen and that is our problem. We go lateral when we should be going forward and through. Until we show we can stand up and be patient, even if we lose tight games, then noone will want to come here. We are seen as a side who blow big leads and are soft and heartless in defence. We could have Edwards and Snowy as our props right now if we had made better decisions earlier in the piece. Hindsight eh!

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
2012 we will be fighting for a spot in the finals, and have a chance to take a home semi.

2014 Is when I think we we will have a genuine shot at the minor premiership. Gives Stone time to develop our current crop of exciting juniors (esp the forwards like Josh, Finn, Cook and Tetavano) and we would have a great mix of exciting juniors and experienced heads running the team.

KnightsMan90

Juniors
2011 - Knights finish 16th. Crowds get so disillusioned with the destruction of our local based cuture in the club and the lack of local players, crowd averages for the first time fall below 10,000. Club gets massive financial hit.

2012- Where it takes a fork in the road

Option one. Burraston retains Stone for another term. He continues to buy out of towners over enticing local novocastrians from other clubs back and developing the junior comp. Still lacks a marquee signing and his sub par QLD cup level coaching continues. Newy's local comp becomes a feeder area for sydney clubs. They take home there 2nd wooden spoon in a row home in 2012, crowds drop more.. In 2013 NRL decides for CC over CQLD along with perth. Central Coast drains alot of the CC based support for the knights. Coupled with the high price of food, drinks and tickets even the die hard fans stop going due to cost of living pressures. Knights finish 17th of 18th with a crowd average of 5000. Knights are now 10 million in debt.

Unable to sustain a club in Newcastle, knights drop out of 2014 season and relocate to Wellington for the 2015 season. Wellington drops all ties to Newcastle within 3 years.

It takes 20 years before another Newcastle team becomes possible.

Option 2. Stone is sacked, a FG experienced coach is appointed. He realises the club needs to have a local based culutre about it to survive and looks to develop the juniors and recruit newcastle boys from other clubs to give that feel back. Burraston is evenutally let go and quality a CEO comes along and gets the ball rolling on sponsership to supply the club with money to develop our junior comp. Newcastle becomes the best nursery for players in 5 years,

Coach uses the newly created local based team and expert coaching to create newcastle into an attacking might with a good defence, Former out of formers gain form and become the better players in there position. Several Knights play and captain NSW over the next several years. EAS becomes a fortress again. Newcastle makes the top 8 within 2 seasons, a pemiership in 4 and a minor in 5. makes every final for the best 10 years after the first including 2 minors and 2 pems. Become the best team of the decade. EAs crowds start to average in the low and then high 20k's. Memberships sky rocket and the evenutall inclusion off CC doesnt weaken the team.

IF only.

perverse

Referee
totally getting sick of you sissys playing the "locals" card. i bet you any amount of money if we were running top 4 right now that stadium would be packed to the rafters every single game.

honestly, grow the f**k up. the local brigade are honestly beginning to sound like a bunch of petulant 5 year old morons. guess what? the vast majority of Gen Y and younger couldn't give a rats arse about Newcastle or Newcastle bred players. we care about results. we are motivated by success. novocastrian pride is dying, big time. the old fogies that refuse to change the town, the vocal minorities that oppose brilliant ideas such as removing the rail in town to revitalize the town for a younger generation, the stupid old dickheads that impose curfews to kill the night life (and if you ask anyone who actually GOES OUT they will tell you without hesitation that the curfew is BOLLOCKS and doesn't help a damn thing) - these are the people that are raping Newcastle of its pride in it's identity. take a walk down Hunter Street and tell me, with a straight face, what is there to be proud off? sweet f**k all. aside from a tiny minority (which i somehow still occupy) - there is very little pride in Newcastle about our town, because it has turned into a sh*t heap. local players ARE NOT the answer, because by and large we couldn't care less about a local kid representing the town anymore.

sustained mediocrity is our problem, not a lack of locals. people my age, the ones with big expendible incomes to attend football matches, don't have the same affinity with the area that you old local loving fogies did 20 years ago. we just don't. we don't care where our players were born. we want results. the club has not provided them in a long time now, and support is waning as a result of that. sure, getting more locals in the team will probably appease the old farts that want to turn up and watch a bunch of locals get smashed by 70 every week... and it will increase crowd figures for a while. these are the same people who will happily bring their own lunch, wear a henny penny jersey and a vintage 1980 Knights hat. they won't buy a bloody ounce of merch, they won't spend cash at the ground... and they will do very little to help the bottom line. on top of that, it will only be a bandaid fix, and may even harm the club further by re-instilling the old boys mentality from within the club, and making the crowd look even LESS attractive to younger age groups. blokes my age don't want to sit between grandpa and grandma and sip a diet coke while we watch the game. we want to scream, we want to get drunk and we want to have something to cheer about.

so please, shut the f**k up about the locals. it is a lame, baseless argument that takes f**k all genuine concerns into account. it is lame, short sighted and no longer relevant in the current marketplace.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
totally getting sick of you sissys playing the "locals" card. i bet you any amount of money if we were running top 4 right now that stadium would be packed to the rafters every single game.

honestly, grow the f**k up. the local brigade are honestly beginning to sound like a bunch of petulant 5 year old morons. guess what? the vast majority of Gen Y and younger couldn't give a rats arse about Newcastle or Newcastle bred players. we care about results. we are motivated by success. novocastrian pride is dying, big time. the old fogies that refuse to change the town, the vocal minorities that oppose brilliant ideas such as removing the rail in town to revitalize the town for a younger generation, the stupid old dickheads that impose curfews to kill the night life (and if you ask anyone who actually GOES OUT they will tell you without hesitation that the curfew is BOLLOCKS and doesn't help a damn thing) - these are the people that are raping Newcastle of its pride in it's identity. take a walk down Hunter Street and tell me, with a straight face, what is there to be proud off? sweet f**k all. aside from a tiny minority (which i somehow still occupy) - there is very little pride in Newcastle about our town, because it has turned into a sh*t heap. local players ARE NOT the answer, because by and large we couldn't care less about a local kid representing the town anymore.

sustained mediocrity is our problem, not a lack of locals. people my age, the ones with big expendible incomes to attend football matches, don't have the same affinity with the area that you old local loving fogies did 20 years ago. we just don't. we don't care where our players were born. we want results. the club has not provided them in a long time now, and support is waning as a result of that. sure, getting more locals in the team will probably appease the old farts that want to turn up and watch a bunch of locals get smashed by 70 every week... and it will increase crowd figures for a while. these are the same people who will happily bring their own lunch, wear a henny penny jersey and a vintage 1980 Knights hat. they won't buy a bloody ounce of merch, they won't spend cash at the ground... and they will do very little to help the bottom line. on top of that, it will only be a bandaid fix, and may even harm the club further by re-instilling the old boys mentality from within the club, and making the crowd look even LESS attractive to younger age groups. blokes my age don't want to sit between grandpa and grandma and sip a diet coke while we watch the game. we want to scream, we want to get drunk and we want to have something to cheer about.

so please, shut the f**k up about the locals. it is a lame, baseless argument that takes f**k all genuine concerns into account. it is lame, short sighted and no longer relevant in the current marketplace.
Wow. Someone wants passion - there it is right there.

I agree wholeheartedly. The whole "it's not a local-based team" is something that is starting to grind my gears. It wasn't a local-based team for the first half of last year either and they were sailing along in the top four, with crowds averaging around 17-18k IIRC. But the whole issue of why the crowd's aren't turning up is another matter altogether. I just genuinely want to have an inkling that maybe the team I've grown up and supported is actually a chance of winning the comp. Realistically, that hasn't been the case for several years, and isn't likely to be any time soon - with, or without "local-based" players.

KnightsMan90

Juniors
Well for one, i'm Gen Y (and on the lower end scale of it) and still think there needs to be a local based cultre in some form at the club. So to call me some old foggie is wrong, and quite simply if your implying all of Gen Y doesnt care, it makes you fall of sh*t and regardless your whole use of we this we that and therefore stereotyping the entire knights Gen Y support base to your lone view just shows your utter ignorance. So unless you have personally gone around Australia and surveyed every younger knights fan about the matter your a*se blowing is just a crock of sh*t.

Secondly not 100%, not even 90 or 80 or even 50% of knights fans are from Gen Y, most are Gen X and baby boomers, and there the ones with the super about to mature , the nice aged pension and all the free time in the world to attend the games. and with advanced modern medicine and stanadr of living, these guys are gonna live for another 20 or 30 or 40 years. So to disgard what 70% of the supporter base just so you can have your party boy attitude shows once again your ignorance.

As for the fact of the oldies stopping you being able to go out until the early hours of the morning, get drunk, pop pills, hook up and find out 2 weeks later you have herpes, i fail to see what that has to do with how the strucutre of the team should be run.

As for my own personal beliefs on the local issue im not suggesting the starting 17 should all be novocastrians, nor am i implying we should just put any local in the team because he comes from here. But to say that building a local team is a bandaid fix and will harm the club is a crock of sh*t. They can be a balance between local and non local. Futhermore there are plenty of quality local boys running again in the NRL at the moment, and in the junior system that will be ready in the next 5 years with work and development that will make fine contributions to the club. So you have to be an imbocile if you think a local team would always be thrashed. And you have as much if not more reason to scream and shout and get drunk with that. So to say you cant because a some oldies like the old way ( that worked) is bullsh*t.

And with a good experienced and succesful coach and a fine balance that focus's on a local team with a solid out of town contribution that is trained hard and disciplined and therefore is putting on winning streaks and top 4 finishes everyone is happy.

Furthermore i just have to state the rather massive coincidences that are our progressive worse form and placings and win records per year as the local content is decreased our our progressive smaller corwds, big game corwds, and average crowds per year as the local content goes down.

Also given your large stereotyping of us gen y's i find it weird that in all the forums with knights threads, blogs and/or comment sections of news reports the rather large amount of old, middle aged and YOUNG people that comment how the knights play without passion, passion for the jersey, the club, the town or the people and only care about the money and how 9 times out of ten there saying its usually only the local boys that seem to be playing with pride and trying hard.

May wanna rethink your whole gen why agrees with perverse agrument there champ..

Serc

First Grade
Could have Tilse and Snowy...

Yes indeedy :( posted something along those lines the other day...if only!

Yup.

sustained mediocrity is our problem, not a lack of locals.

Karma will love that phrase! (and yes it certainly is a problem...especially when the things associated with it gain some momentum eg: crowds at the moment)

By the way, that is quite an impressive rage there...I award it ROTW! (Rage Of The Week)

Edit: And as for the 'locals' thing - if they are good enough, they are good enough, if not, we get imports. That's it. That's how every other club works - yes, even the all conquering Broncos who have the best junior nursery in the comp.

Long term we will have a higher percentage of locals (quietly confident that will increase over the next 2-3 years with our current crop of 16-20 year olds) and everything will be hunky dory again.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Well for one, i'm Gen Y (and on the lower end scale of it) and still think there needs to be a local based cultre in some form at the club. So to call me some old foggie is wrong, and quite simply if your implying all of Gen Y doesnt care, it makes you fall of sh*t and regardless your whole use of we this we that and therefore stereotyping the entire knights Gen Y support base to your lone view just shows your utter ignorance. So unless you have personally gone around Australia and surveyed every younger knights fan about the matter your a*se blowing is just a crock of sh*t.

Secondly not 100%, not even 90 or 80 or even 50% of knights fans are from Gen Y, most are Gen X and baby boomers, and there the ones with the super about to mature , the nice aged pension and all the free time in the world to attend the games. and with advanced modern medicine and stanadr of living, these guys are gonna live for another 20 or 30 or 40 years. So to disgard what 70% of the supporter base just so you can have your party boy attitude shows once again your ignorance.

As for the fact of the oldies stopping you being able to go out until the early hours of the morning, get drunk, pop pills, hook up and find out 2 weeks later you have herpes, i fail to see what that has to do with how the strucutre of the team should be run.

As for my own personal beliefs on the local issue im not suggesting the starting 17 should all be novocastrians, nor am i implying we should just put any local in the team because he comes from here. But to say that building a local team is a bandaid fix and will harm the club is a crock of sh*t. They can be a balance between local and non local. Futhermore there are plenty of quality local boys running again in the NRL at the moment, and in the junior system that will be ready in the next 5 years with work and development that will make fine contributions to the club. So you have to be an imbocile if you think a local team would always be thrashed. And you have as much if not more reason to scream and shout and get drunk with that. So to say you cant because a some oldies like the old way ( that worked) is bullsh*t.

And with a good experienced and succesful coach and a fine balance that focus's on a local team with a solid out of town contribution that is trained hard and disciplined and therefore is putting on winning streaks and top 4 finishes everyone is happy.

Furthermore i just have to state the rather massive coincidences that are our progressive worse form and placings and win records per year as the local content is decreased our our progressive smaller corwds, big game corwds, and average crowds per year as the local content goes down.

Also given your large stereotyping of us gen y's i find it weird that in all the forums with knights threads, blogs and/or comment sections of news reports the rather large amount of old, middle aged and YOUNG people that comment how the knights play without passion, passion for the jersey, the club, the town or the people and only care about the money and how 9 times out of ten there saying its usually only the local boys that seem to be playing with pride and trying hard.

May wanna rethink your whole gen why agrees with perverse agrument there champ..
you have your head in your arse... and your arse in the sand. how many of your friends are Knights fans? be honest, now. i'm talking fans that actually spend money on the club by turning up to games and buying merchandise. i'm betting you may have 2 or 3 at most.

what happened last time we built a team of locals? how did that work out for us? where are the locals you speak of that will dig us out of the sh*t? how many of the old farts don't recognise Aku as a local product... and how many of them would hold the same bias against a Pete Mata'utia? WHERE ARE THE LOCAL PLAYERS TO DO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING? stop living in a fantasy world! it may take us 15 or more years to build a team of locals again. the only time in our history we've been able to field close to a full team of locals and be successful we happened to have a certain Andrew Johns carrying them on his shoulders. some of our club greats are adopted from other areas - in fact HEAPS of them are. the lack of locals being our problem is a myth. an absolute myth... and in order to pull it off you have to, at some stage, give preference to local players over those that are more skilled from elsewhere. furthermore, if the locals get a sniff that there is a local policy in place it breeds apathy and laziness... because they know as locals they will be looked after. i don't have to speculate on this at all, because we have seen it all before! it has happened in the past and will happen again in the future if we go down that same road. this is suicide in a professionally run club or competition. it isn't sustainable, it isn't viable and it is ridiculous to try and make a case that it is. all professional teams go through ebbs where they will produce bumper crops one generation of juniors and then dud crops for others. we are in a dud generation, pure and simple. people will adopt non-local players extremely happily if they are winners. there is no more to it than that. i have no doubt that all things being equal we would always take a local product over an import... and with the exception of a single cleanout when Smith got here, i have zero doubt that has remained the same. the locals simply are not there. the production line is halted.

now, back to our generation. go and do a tiny bit of field research like i have. just canvas your friends, people you meet out in town, without bias or leading them on. how many of your friends and peers are genuinely proud of Newcastle and what it stands for? how many of them would prefer to live in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne? how many have already left? how many are planning to? how many of them can even get jobs in the area? i'll tell you what i've found, across the board... a complete feeling of apathy, or disgust about the town in general. if you fail to see what me going out and getting herpes, as you put it, has to do with a lack of pride in our team then it only completely reinforces my belief that you are ignorant as f**k. this town is deeply connected to the knights, and vice versa. what happens when pride in our town drops? what happens when people begin to resent the way our town is run? it equally reflects in the club is what happens. the club represents our town in the NRL, and will be supported just as our town is supported. this club lifted newcastle out of a deep depression in 1997. the town is now doing the complete inverse of the to the Knights. people don't want to support something that they don't feel represents them.

it has taken me 7 years just to get my best mate interested in the Knights... and even then he's a casual supporter at best. outside of people i have met through footy itself, i am the only person i know that supports the knights. there was a single classmate from my school and none from another i spent a bit of time at. there is a massive disconnect between the knights and this generation, and if you can't see it living IN that generation then you are absolutely 100% in denial. the knights are DREADFULLY uncool to support. i don't need to canvas every young knights fan in the country, because the young knights fans arn't the problem you muppet. it's the people our age that ARN'T knights fans that are the problem... and they are absolutely plentiful. i mean it's not like we're storm fans living in melbourne, we are knights fans living in a bloody rugby league stronghold! we shouldn't be able to walk down the street without tripping over knights supporters! instead it was and probably still is considered a subject of ridicule to support the knights at both schools that i have experience with in the area, and from generally asking around over the years, that is pretty much the rule rather than the exception to it. i live in and of this generation, and i don't need a survey to tell me there is a problem. i see and live it every single day of my life, and you are lying or living in denial if you haven't seen it too. that, or you simply haven't thought about it. i knew more Knights fans as a boy living in Lightning Ridge than i do as a Knights fan living in Newcastle. that is 100% fact.

filling the stands with Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers is a short term solution at best, and a complete PROBLEM as far as atmosphere at the ground goes. you aren't talking about people who have super maturing, you are talking about people that LOST a great deal of their super in the GFC. you are talking about a bunch of old farts that don't want to go out on a cold winters day and make some noise to the team. WE NEED the Gen Y'ers and below to start the chants, to make the noise. Gen X'ers and Baby Boomers want to sit in the stands and have little golf claps when a try is scored. look around next time you're at a game and tell me that isn't true with a straight face. i don't know that a single club in the NRL would target Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers over youth. youth is always the best policy. to say that a Baby Boomer or a Gen X'er is willing to drop as much cash on footy as a 20-something, typically single Gen Y'er is a complete fallacy and poorly thought out. you are a muppet for even thinking this age demographic consuming our supporter base is a good thing. it is a giant problem and must be addressed. a successful team will bring these people back, and it is the only sure fire thing that will. the fact is, our supporters are an aging population. please explain to me how an aging population is beneficial? i honestly don't think you understand that i'm not talking about people that ARE knights fans (massive minority), but the HUGE majority that are not knights fans, and don't contribute a damn cent to the club.

ask roopy what he thinks of staying for the main game, because his opinion is completely, 100% typical of his age group. his age group were the ones filling the stands 15-20 years ago... and EVERYONE filled the stands just to watch Joey play. now what? we're a dead set uncool bunch of losers that certainly bugger all people my age want a bar of.

and champ? really? you went there? how about go f**k yourself with an angle grinder. i love this team and this town and it sh*ts me that everyone i meet does not feel the same way. not only that, but they think i have some sort of disease for doing so. when i moved to Newcastle as a naive 15 year old, i thought i was coming home to a sea of red and blue support. what faced me instead was complete uncare for our town and our team that has only worsened dramatically since then. this was in our premiership year, i might add. i was shocked then and i am disappointed with it to this day. i do my small part where i can, i have gotten 2 of my mates into the footy over the past 2 years and they are now both season ticket holders, and i would anticipate will continue to be into the future. i hope to add one to that list each year if i can. it's not much, but hey it's more than most people do. acting small but thinking large. the only way to solve these problems on a grand scale, though, is to put a winning team on the park. a fantastic way to guarentee that we won't have a winning team on the park any time soon is to re-instate a locals-before-imports policy. it's not viable at the moment at all, and may never be again looking head, and no-one who is going to help dig our club out of the financial sh*tbog gives a sh*t about it, either. win and they will come. it's that simple.

Perverse you are right and i will point out why the bigger picture here is so vital. 45 mins down the freeway there is a wannabe team gathering it's finances at a rapid rate of knots and seeking the backing of some highly influential people. They are fast winning these people over. The buzz on the central coast, where i live due to work needs, is off the chart right now for the Bears. It is all anyone talks about after the game between the eagles and tigers at Bluetongue on Sunday. More to the point the NRL are listening more and more. The atmosphere at the game on Sunday was electric I am told by people who went. Adrenalising in fact. over 1000 people missed out on tickets who lined up for them. The queues for tickets went around the block. Not bad for a game that isn't a final. Time may not be on our side unless we get successful and fast. Tinkler's status as a mining magnate and horse racing tragic would bring in the cool factor because Horse racing is very cool and has never lost it's appeal. Good business is all about impressions and exploiting people's perception of what they deem the 'it' moments at any given point in time.

Last edited:

troll

Juniors
Call me captain emo if you must, but I have a genuine concern about our ability to be a real premiership threat any time in the next few years?

Don't feel bad, Your concern is wrong!
Newcastle won't win a premiership for 10 years or more.