What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many tickets sold?

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I dont really see why Sydney should be berated if the crowd doesnt match the expectations of some.
Given the longstanding dominance of the Kangaroos, getting 25000+ to come & watch what is often a foregone conclusion isnt actually all that bad. Its almost comforting. It shows the potential of international football in the RL playing nation that needs it least.

God knows if or when GB or NZ will ever take the dominance away from Australia, I just cant wait to see the results if it does happen. Till then its unfair to expect fans to support International RL out of obligation.

Auckland4ever said:
I dont really see why Sydney should be berated if the crowd doesnt match the expectations of some.
Given the longstanding dominance of the Kangaroos, getting 25000+ to come & watch what is often a foregone conclusion isnt actually all that bad. Its almost comforting. It shows the potential of international football in the RL playing nation that needs it least.

God knows if or when GB or NZ will ever take the dominance away from Australia, I just cant wait to see the results if it does happen. Till then its unfair to expect fans to support International RL out of obligation.

I agree 100%.

Your selling an Australian win, probably a very big Australian win, to people a lot of which have only ever seen Australian wins.

Its all well and good for a die hard League fans to say its terrible that the crwod will not be massive but the fact is 95% of sports fans would suggest "Australia will win anyway" and 99% of the time they would be right!

International Rugby League will NEVER kick on untill Australia gains credible opposition.

As it stands now the last team to beat Australia in a series was FRANCE. Great Britains results have gotten worse over time and New Zealand just have never stood up and proven to be great opposition.

Thats what frustrates me so much about the other sides. Until they get their act togeather the game will suffer.

jed said:
I struggle to work out who's more deluded: you, or the former Iraqi Minister Of Information.

Look at you.....you just cant help yourself.

The funny thing is...I dont even know what triggered it! :lol:

Calixte

First Grade
Which part is supposedly BS?

Deal with the facts and not your personal opinions, please.

Do you disagree that there was basically a hiatus in proper international football between the 1994 Ashes series and the 2002 Kangaroo tour?

Calixte

First Grade
I didn't say "I didn't count it..." It is a fact that the 2001 result was an aberration.

Further:-

* the match was played mid-year in Sydney after the Australians were battle hardened following Origin;
* the GB side flew half way across the world, played the game a few days later and flew back again;
* the GB side played without any preparation whatsoever (they didn't play one practice game whether in Australia or in England); and
* GB had a number of their first choice players unavailable for this game.

(Of course Australia also had a great team...)

Consequently GB was flogged in that match.

What my post was about was the true nature of the results, in context, between 1988 and the present.

See what I mean.

Next time you go on a long winded rant and start using the word "Facts", include ALL the facts and then take a step back and realise that most of the facts you are presenting are crazy opinions.

Calixte

First Grade
To think I got back on-line to check that. What a sorry excuse for a response.

Sorry back to the box now...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Great Britain are much better now, they play with a bit of confidence and are more agressive than they were in 2001/2002.

The problem is with International football, we dont see enough of it in Australia and I think we should. Before Saturday, Sydney wouldve hosted 5 tests in 10 years.

I say more tests in Australia, bring back a 3 test series.

Fact four.

The 2001 game Aus v GB in Sydney was an ambush and an aberration for that reason.

Fact five.

The 2002 series could have been 3-0 Aus (as it was), 2-1 Aus, 2-1 GB or even 3-0 GB.

Fact six.

The best side in the round-robin stage of the 2004 Tri-Nations was GB.

If GB wasn't crippled by its psychological issue with Australia (as per the English cricket side until this year too), they would have beaten us by now.

I have posted elsewhere about the "unlevel" playing field we currently play on at international level, so won't elaborate on that again here.

The quotes speak for themselves.

Thats a fact. :lol:

Sun_Down

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Great Britain are much better now, they play with a bit of confidence and are more agressive than they were in 2001/2002.

The problem is with International football, we dont see enough of it in Australia and I think we should. Before Saturday, Sydney wouldve hosted 5 tests in 10 years.

I say more tests in Australia, bring back a 3 test series.

This time next year we will have alot of tests here!:D

ali

Bench
And furthermore, we should finally get to see a fullstrength Kiwi side on Aussie soil. Maybe not rounds 1 and 2, but for their matches vs GB and if they can make the final. An Aus vs NZ final would be massive. Sadly I reckon the ARL wont note the potential and will probably play the game in Brissie. I reckon we could go close to filling Stade Aus for the final if NZ fires in next years Tri Nations.

You know what....next years Tri Nations is CRITICAL as far as support for the World Cup goes.

If Australia play poor opposition and walk away with the title (AGAIN) then the World Cup will be in big trouble.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
ali said:
And furthermore, we should finally get to see a fullstrength Kiwi side on Aussie soil.

Unless clubs decide to pull their players out for off season surgery, I just hope we dont see a lot of that.

strong_latte

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
I agree 100%.

Your selling an Australian win, probably a very big Australian win, to people a lot of which have only ever seen Australian wins.

Its all well and good for a die hard League fans to say its terrible that the crwod will not be massive but the fact is 95% of sports fans would suggest "Australia will win anyway" and 99% of the time they would be right!

International Rugby League will NEVER kick on untill Australia gains credible opposition.

Absolutely! I'd love to see packed houses of 80,000 to kangaroo's matches, but while we're this dominant it just aint gonna happen! Most people go to a game to see a contest... And anyway, I went to the Sydney Wallabies V Springboks test early in the year and that was a HIGH profile test against a very competative and bitter rival of the wallabies, but it still only got 60,000! Which, considering it was a high class wallabies international, is actually pretty poor!
But can someone tell me with the obviousness of the crowd figures, why on EARTH the ARL decided to host this match at Telstra??? If they were gonna do it in Sydney, then Aussie stadium should have been where it was at! 25k would look half decent there! At Telstra it looks like an under 12s GF!

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Sun_Down said:
This time next year we will have alot of tests here!:D

Hopefully next year France will also be added to the competition so they can start playing the big boys on a regular basis and preparing for 2008.

This brings me to my second point, us and NZ need to play more tests against other nations because frankly playing against each other constantly is getting very tiresome and repetitive. This year I actively chose to go to the super test on Saturday between the aussies and the ICC World XI over the Tri Nations opener simply because I am sick of seeing AUS and NZ, and the same result over and over again (NZ getting well beaten) but next year when GB and (hopefully) France come down here I will be one of the 1st in line to get tickets simply because it will be something new, somthing fresh in the minds of fans like myself who have grown up watching AUS dominate the kiwi's and little else. I think our kiwi friends would agree as well, I can barely remember the last time NZ played a nation other than AUS at home.

Consider this the Wallabies by the end of this year will have played Samoa, Italy, France (twice), South Africa (4 times), New Zealand (twice), Wales, England and Ireland, the roo's just GB, NZ and France.

Latest posts