What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Billy Slaters Karate kick to the head of David Klemmer?

How many weeks for Billy Slaters Karate kick to the head of David Klemmer?

Votes: 17 18.3%

Votes: 16 17.2%

Votes: 14 15.1%

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Season

Votes: 38 40.9%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Slater haters?

Take the bias out on BOTH sides and look at the action. It wasn't intentional but it was a boot making contact with a face. It's a penalty every day of the week (Luke Patten was penalised for it many years ago), report to be looked at. Minor charge if anything, move on people.

Glenn

First Grade
Klemmer made contact with a player in mid air. That's illegal. End of story. He did so because he put himself in that position.

Like I said, bias.

That's like saying anyone the victim of a shoulder charge, is guilty of attacking the ball carrier with his head.

no name

Coach
Slater's defence.
bart_lisa_fighting_gif.gif

thorson1987

Coach
Slater haters?

Take the bias out on BOTH sides and look at the action. It wasn't intentional but it was a boot making contact with a face. It's a penalty every day of the week (Luke Patten was penalised for it many years ago), report to be looked at. Minor charge if anything, move on people.

This.

The General

Juniors
Billy+Slater+David+Klemmer+NRL+Rd+3+Storm+NLTP2jLsP_ux.jpg

Anyone saying Klemmer was definitely going to make a mid air tackle is delusional. He had enough time to wait for Slaters other leg to hit the ground before touching him. The only contact made before he hit the ground was Slaters boot to his face.

It might not be worth of a suspension but the action definitely needs to be changed before someone cops a stud to the eye.

no name

Coach
What are you talking about, Klemmer made contact with Slater as well, it was deemed that Slater initiated contact and was the first offence. Did you not see Klemmers arms?

Klemmer only made contact with Slater after he was kicked. He had no control of where his body was at that stage.
As has been said, I don't think Slater meant to kick him, but it is a ploy to keep chasers back. He made contact with someone's head, therefore it's illegal.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Slater's defence.
bart_lisa_fighting_gif.gif

:lol: Classic

IIRC, the scene went something like this:

"I'm going to be kicking air, and if any of you should get in the way of that air, then it's your own fault"

That pretty much what the Slater defenders are saying

Mig2006

Juniors
So next time a player is trying to play the ball quickly and accidently kicks a tackler in the head, we can expect that player to be put on report???

ns7

Juniors
No suspension, massive overreaction. The way I see it is both players performed a play that could have potentially injured the other.

Just remember that Klemmer was going in for a mid air tackle, the refs determined this on the field and he had his arms out ready to make the tackle. There is no way in the world he would have pulled out when he was the distance of Slaters leg away from him in fact it was pretty much touch and go, enough for the refs to be undecided until they felt they would put Slater on report. Slaters leg was in the air long before Klemmer collided and Slater did flinch, anyone would seeing a 199cm monster about to tackle you when you are essentially defenseless. If the NRL have not made a determination to get him to get it out of his game for the first 10 years of his career, it would be a bit lax for them to only start looking at it now.

Those talking about the attempted mid air tackle as a hypothetical are not talking about what actually happened.

Bit hypocritical of Bulldogs supporters crying dirty player when they have Mr Bitey on their books.

One was possibly going to. One did.

CGD

Juniors
What an amazing athlete Bruce Lee was. A lot of people would recognise that shot, but for the uninitiated, that's a scene out of Game of Death with Kareem Abdul Jabbar. He's 7'2", Lee was 5'7". And no, no trampoline is involved.

OMG. Case closed.

What that actually definitively proves is that Slater jumped the way he always jumps and had no idea Klemmer was even there.

Do people even understand the process of jumping that high? The whole assumption that Slater has chosen to jump in that style as a defensive measure doesn't even have any basis. Many player who jump that high would raise a leg, or maybe a knee, in a similar fashion depending on their style. To claim he was doing it to kick any player is unprovable and probably onerous.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Slater's teammate Duffie can leap for a high ball without kicking out like Billy did...

BF4UzzKCMAEUYkK.jpg:large

Well that's how ridiculous you make it sound.
If the leg of Slater wasn't out, then no contact, and a penalty to Melbourne IF he ended up being tackled in mid air.
No it's as ridiculous as the anti-Slater argument is getting.

He has every right to catch a ball in the air in the style he does, not least because that's how a lot of people catch high balls.

If any player wants to make contact with him while he is doing so THEY are the ones in the wrong.

bottle

Coach
1) I admire Slater as a player, but I think he's a grub. So I'm no fanboi.
2) I'm no fan of Melbourne.
3) There was no mid air tackle
4) You can't penalise for 'intent' to tackle mid air
5) The initial penalty against the Dogs was a classic case of the refs applying the mid air tackle rule incorrectly for mine. It was intended to stamp out tackles that take out a players legs in the air resulting in the player falling to the ground in a dangerous manner. If a player is going to create that danger himself via actions such as Slater's there should be no penalty against the defender for accidental contact unless and/or until he engages in an illegality.
6) Slater's been doing this for ages. Has he ever been cautioned or warned about it? Is it definitively illegal? I suspect not. Hence the decision to penalise, and the report, are both bogus for mine. If it IS illegal, should have been sent off. I can't think of much worse you can do on a footy field then boot a bloke in the face, unless perhaps it's gouging. Most injured parts of the body heal. Eyes are a little less forgiving.

Should have been play on. No penalty either way, get on with the game ffs. The reverse penalty and report were bullshit calls. Poll needs a zero weeks option, because that's what he'll get.

If they come out and say such action is illegal all good and well, I have no problem with that in regards future incidents. However up to now that hasn't been the case. Looks like a Storm in a teacup to me.

Edit: I retract my point 3. I believe there was a mid air tackle on review. This renders point 5 invalid in this case.

Last edited: