What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Jeremy Smith?

POPEYE

Coach
There was nothing wrong with it. The fact Robinson left the field in a neck brace is the only reason he was charged.

You could be right, and since the only reason for a neckbrace was the head slam players should be penalised for milking, this is not soccer.

Then again, if the injury was genuine your statement reads as though coming from an idiot and you should stick to your desk job

Noname36

First Grade
839283-head-slam.gif

How anyone can try & tell me that's not a headslam is mind boggling.

It's the cliche, the epitome, the classical example, the definitive, the ultimate.

I think you're giving Smith a bit too much credit saying that's a classic example of a headslam. Was it careless? Absolutely. Should he have gotten a week for it? Yeah, probably. But should he have gotten a month for it? f**k no.

4 weeks is about right. Forearm contact with the head is always gunna get you in trouble whether leading with it or slamming the head

Frederick

Staff member
2 - 3 was what I was expecting tbh.

His arm does break contack with the player at one point and that is why I believe it to be deemed a second effort

Looking at the gif posted, where does his arm break contact with the player?

Rod

Bench
Yeah it doesn't.

For me a textbook or traditional headslam would include a clear slamming action that can be separated from the motion of Mullen's tackle, or alternatively a second effort after a player is already tackled. For mine that isn't present here. Unfortunate placement of his arms sure and worthy of perhaps 1 or 2 weeks, but for mine not a traditional or classic head slam, which would suggest intent and/or a slamming action that wouldn't be present in a traditional tackle.

Tic

Juniors
Yeah it doesn't.

For me a textbook or traditional headslam would include a clear slamming action that can be separated from the motion of Mullen's tackle, or alternatively a second effort after a player is already tackled. For mine that isn't present here. Unfortunate placement of his arms sure and worthy of perhaps 1 or 2 weeks, but for mine not a traditional or classic head slam, which would suggest intent and/or a slamming action that wouldn't be present in a traditional tackle.

I'd have to agree, he didn't reef the head onto the ground, he more went with the momentum of the tackle. It is made to look worse than what it is. A couple of weeks should suffice.

Frederick

Staff member
From what I saw in the close up on Fox I am sure there was. Hard to tell from a gif

Yeah, cause you can't clearly see any of the body parts in question in the gif posted :roll:

He starts off around the top of the chest, then with the momentum of Mullen driving in the tackle his arm slips up onto the head of Robinson. Smith isn't even looking at him ffs so dunno how it can be called deliberate. Most of the damage will have been done when Robinson hit his head on the ground

POPEYE

Coach
Yeah, cause you can't clearly see any of the body parts in question in the gif posted :roll:

He starts off around the top of the chest, then with the momentum of Mullen driving in the tackle his arm slips up onto the head of Robinson. Smith isn't even looking at him ffs so dunno how it can be called deliberate. Most of the damage will have been done when Robinson hit his head on the ground

Dearie me

POPEYE

Coach
There's no bigger fan of Smith than me, he should be still with Melbourne where he belongs, but the damage he could have prevented is worth setting a precedent for

de$$ie

Juniors
He slammed the blokes head into the ground. I'm certainly not for the pussyfication of league, but fuark Smith is an aggressive player and it doesn't seem that unlikely he saw this as an opportunity to get a cheap shot in, the blokes a f**king merkin.

Take off the red and white glasses.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Still doesn't look like your "traditional" head slam to me.

More a case of him going with the momentum of the tackle.

Rod

Bench
Apparently been found guilty, six weeks for that :lol:. What a farce.

He should have just dropped the guy on the point of his head or maybe karate kicked him in the face, apparently those things will get you less of or even no suspension....

eozsmiles

Bench
Still doesn't look like your "traditional" head slam to me.

More a case of him going with the momentum of the tackle.

Yep, that's the reason this "tradition" of players getting the stuffing knocked from their brains is being cut out of the game. Year by year, bit by bit, play by play. Because at the moment we have a game when defenceless blokes are knocked stupid and people say "that's nothing...it's part of the game.....it's tradition".

No offence to the old schoolers out there, I am one. But if this only gets 2 weeks it won't be good for the game.

Why did he go with "the momentum of the tackle" instead of pulling out of it or negating it? He knows damn well that if a ball runner lands on their head someone is likely to get some time. Especially when you're the bloke with their arm is around their neck.