What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks?

parra pete

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Yeah great system PP

Des Hasler "Listen Dunley, i want you to take out Johns or Buderus...you will only cop a 50k fine and we will pay for it"

Dunley " Do you want me to spit on them...you know i have that reflux problem....or do i put on a high shot"

If he takes them out with a golly or high shot it would cost more than $50,000. FYI He initially got four weeks for his golly on PJ Marsh.
In any case, I don't think coaches in the modern era instruct players to take players out by unfair or illegal methods ...if they do they have a very short future at the top level and definitely would NOT be in charge of a team in the finals...
Very poor response Mr Saab...I expected better...

Master Vippo

Juniors
parra pete said:
If he takes them out with a golly or high shot it would cost more than $50,000. FYI He initially got four weeks for his golly on PJ Marsh.
In any case, I don't think coaches in the modern era instruct players to take players out by unfair or illegal methods ...if they do they have a very short future at the top level and definitely would NOT be in charge of a team in the finals...

But it could still happen, a team could win a premiership, rob the game o several great players and just pay a sh!t load of money for it.

Mr Saab

Referee
parra pete said:

You will cop such a "poor" response as a result of your "poor" idea.
Why would it cost most than 50k? 2 week suspension for a "careless" tackle that resulted in johns suffering concussion.

parra pete

Referee
vippo19 said:
But it could still happen, a team could win a premiership, rob the game o several great players and just pay a sh!t load of money for it.

Clubs will persist with players that are going to cost them money...Yeah sure...

Mr Saab

Referee
parra pete said:
Clubs will persist with players that are going to cost them money...Yeah sure...

In the semi finals they will.
And why, not, they wont be "suspended" or "sent off" so they wont be a disadvantage to the team.

parra pete

Referee
Mr Saab said:
You will cop such a "poor" response as a result of your "poor" idea.
Why would it cost most than 50k? 2 week suspension for a "careless" tackle that resulted in johns suffering concussion.

.... and you are suggesting that a match suspension will not result in Johns suffering concussion.
You're talking $50,000. That is not a spit.. (pardon the pun) ..in the ocean....
$50,000 is more than most battlers (the NRL fans) earn in a year....

Mr Saab

Referee
50k is alot of money, but the club is paying for it, not the players....Parra can afford it...so can the Bronx...and so can Nick Politis.

Cletus

First Grade
I think Newcastle will have to have at least eight trial matches next year. It's honestly one of the worst I've seen for a while.

Balmain_Boy

The momentum issue is pretty simple. Robertson's speed ONLY became an issue when Buderus started to lift him.

parra pete

Referee
Mr Saab said:
50k is alot of money, but the club is paying for it, not the players....Parra can afford it...so can the Bronx...and so can Nick Politis.

Blokes like Nick Politis don't have that sort of money to waste willy nilly. They didn't become rich by wasting their money..
The fines could be passed back onto the players contracts, same as they are when they are fined for off field indiscretions.
If they players DON'T want to pay it..then they sit out. I can't see the problem..or what the fuss to the suggestion is all about..

Mr Saab

Referee
Send an email to RLPA president Matt Rodwell with that above proposal and see what reply you get back!
IF the clubs agreed on that system then the RLPA would go on strike!
We have see the NBA and MLB go on strike (different reasons)....well the NRL would be next.

parra pete

Referee
Actually good idea. I will be speaking to Matty next week..Thanks for that suggestion. I'll let you know how I get on.
I will also run it past Tony Butterfield for his reaction, although Tony is not involved with the RLPA anymore. Best positive to come out of this thread. Thanks.

Cletus

First Grade
The fines could be passed back onto the players contracts, same as they are when they are fined for off field indiscretions.

That's actually not a bad idea. If you made the fines a percentage of the players wage, and increased for more serious gradings, the players would soon stop taking peoples heads off. I guess one of the problems with it would be that the NRL doesn't employ the players, the clubs do. The RLPA would go nuts.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ask Rodwell that if every time a player is suspended could it result in a %age of their contracts to be deducted and sent to the CRL.
Some players in the past have had 1/32 of their contract deducted, but they are serial offenders.
Your proposal is for even 1st time offenders to have their contracts deducted.

See what reply you get and come back to us with an HONEST answer.

CharlieF

Juniors
People,
The only way to punish an offence is via a suspension. If they want to add a fine onto it as well, then let them discuss that, but the threat of suspension has to stay.

Having clubs opt to pay their way out is no good because the poorer clubs will automatically be discriminated against.

parra pete

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Ask Rodwell that if every time a player is suspended could it result in a %age of their contracts to be deducted and sent to the CRL.
Some players in the past have had 1/32 of their contract deducted, but they are serial offenders.
Your proposal is for even 1st time offenders to have their contracts deducted.

See what reply you get and come back to us with an HONEST answer.

First time offenders would have to commit a serious offence...
It is an option to see if the player is keen to pay for the right to appear in a further final down the track - or sit out. But I will put it to Matt and the RLPA as an alternative to a season ending suspension. They won't jump at it, of course, but it is an alternative...and it won't happen in 2007..but could be an option for the 2008 FINALS..

Mr Saab

Referee
Hmmmmmm this is becoming more crazy PP.

Let me get this right..

* Rounds 1-26 suspensions are in force
* Semi finals...there is the option to "pay" for the suspension

That proposal will be put in the bin.

c_eagle

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Hmmmmmm this is becoming more crazy PP.

Let me get this right..

* Rounds 1-26 suspensions are in force
* Semi finals...there is the option to "pay" for the suspension

That proposal will be put in the bin.
It's really really stupid. Who knows, it might actually be adopted.