What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I think releasing him would be a foolish thing for the Dragons to do. I can understand the angst his comments are causing for Dragons fans, but to me, that is what he is wanting so that, due to fans not being happy the Board give into his demands and release him.

That would just show every player that if you persist in making those type of demands, the Dragons hierarchy will cave in.

Now there are a few ways this could be resolved.

Option 1: Go hard line and tell him if he wants to retire, go ahead. Call his bluff. He probably won't get paid if he does, and also the NRL would be unlikely to register any new contract if he then "miraculously" un-retired and signed with another NRL club.

Option 2: Hard line, but less public. Keep him and send him down to NSW Cup. Tell him it is for disciplinary reasons due to his public comments. which is undermining squad harmony. just because he is reputedly amongst the club's highest paid players does not mean he gets a free pass.

Option 3: Tell him they will let him go, provided the club that wants to sign him is will to offer a compensation package that meets its demands (e.g. a good couple of up and coming players or a star player).

I personally think those are amongst the likely best options for your club.
Right at this moment though, management look pissweak. It seems Hunt can make any statement he likes, about how poor the club is, how he doesn't want to be here, how he'd rather be in Queensland, how St George was never his first choice. There is zero support for the club from its so-called captain. There is bugger-all response from management to counter it. That can't be good for team morale, for recruitment, for sponsorship, or for Red V membership. I hope there's more going on in the background than we know about because it looks like the Board and Management are just bending over and taking it. My opinion is the boil needs to be lanced somehow, and very soon, otherwise we're going to have months of misery listening to a millionaire halfback telling us how hard done by he is.

I'd be happy with any of these options. As long as they happen quickly.

TruSaint

Referee
Im over it.

Yeah, yeah, I get the level headed argument that is to use this muppet and extract a good result, but his actions are beyond the pale.

He can piss off today as far as I am concerned, and play out his career wherever he wants, knowing that he single handedly united a very loyal fan base with his childish ego. Go and get blanked, and once you've done that get blanked again.

When we play his Charges/Dolphins/Broncos/Titans/Wombats/Lizards or any other QLD incarnation, this is what should be displayed in our dressing room ...

F6dUAenawAAh1Ho

Jersey No 14

Juniors
We need to start looking for a halfback of quality..
Either make one or buy one ASAP.
Get everything out of Hunt and teach the young guy.
I've got real concerns he'll start fanning injury soon into the new season.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
He or the media are waiting for the club to bite to make the club look like they are being hard on him so the media can go to town on it and say how Saints are being unreasonable. He is the one being unreasonable seeing he signed 6 months before his stupid tantrums to the press. Why are Saints to blame for that? Good on Saints for not going out in public and voicing their anger which I am sure they are pretty pi$$ed about. Keep it in house and when he returns they can deal with it in silence.

The NRL looking at investigating Bronco's shows some support towards Saints as if to say, why is this guy acting like a fool, is there more to this? Lets scare the idiot and throw some clubs under the bus and assume some anti tampering is going on based on his talks to the media.

56to66

Juniors
Im over it.

Yeah, yeah, I get the level headed argument that is to use this muppet and extract a good result, but his actions are beyond the pale.

He can piss off today as far as I am concerned, and play out his career wherever he wants, knowing that he single handedly united a very loyal fan base with his childish ego. Go and get blanked, and once you've done that get blanked again.

When we play his Charges/Dolphins/Broncos/Titans/Wombats/Lizards or any other QLD incarnation, this is what should be displayed in our dressing room ...

F6dUAenawAAh1Ho
You're over it.
Maybe thats what Ben Sook wants, like a game of footy, building pressure until something gives, the fans, the Board. There are 3 options as stated by Captain Apollo, to let him go on his own free will is not an option.

The more I think of all the Ben Hunt dramas, the more I believe it’s been one massive long term fraudulent HUSTLE.

He knew Griffin was out when he signed his 900k p/a 2yr extension, but he happily accepted the extremely generous money. (The Hustle starts)

Since Griffin was hooked, he has derided the club and is seeking release, but never forgoing his 1.8 million.

If he had any integrity, he would back his statements and would negotiate a mutual contract termination. He is free and Dragons remove his contract from salary cap.

Since the NRL probe into Bronco’s, the problem for Bunt is, he will surely forgo a hefty proportion of his current contract should he go to one of his beloved QLD teams as a free agent.

Well – we can’t have that – can we Ben? It’s obvious that $$$ outweighs integrity.

He’s now playing the long game, it will be a very long game, but I can’t see the Northern clubs coming to his rescue at his current contract rate.

He just ain’t worth the coin and till sorted, he is going to damage the team dynamic. He must go and the sooner the better.

TruSaint

Referee
You're over it.
Maybe thats what Ben Sook wants, like a game of footy, building pressure until something gives, the fans, the Board. There are 3 options as stated by Captain Apollo, to let him go on his own free will is not an option.

I, like most have a right to be over it mate.

Putting aside the options mentioned by Apollo for the minute, I don't want that fraud donning the red V again.

Well, maybe he can in NSW cup as Koolum said. Imagine being a junior or potential target by the Club and having this joker as a leader.

How much more uncertainty can this matter create leading up to pre-season. H'e s burden. End this farce.

Phantom V

Juniors
He or the media are waiting for the club to bite to make the club look like they are being hard on him so the media can go to town on it and say how Saints are being unreasonable. He is the one being unreasonable seeing he signed 6 months before his stupid tantrums to the press. Why are Saints to blame for that? Good on Saints for not going out in public and voicing their anger which I am sure they are pretty pi$$ed about. Keep it in house and when he returns they can deal with it in silence.

The NRL looking at investigating Bronco's shows some support towards Saints as if to say, why is this guy acting like a fool, is there more to this? Lets scare the idiot and throw some clubs under the bus and assume some anti tampering is going on based on his talks to the media.
The Broncos always have been and always will be a bunch of cheats. NRL investigating the Broncos…. give me a break, please.

Gareth67

First Grade
Maybe Mary can convince Parra to take Hunt and we get Mitchell Moses. Isn't Mary at Parra?
I am not sure Slippery , that mob are genuine in their premiership aspirations , therefore I have a feeling that the maestro may have received his marching orders by now . 🤔

Last edited:

Latest posts