What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have been a Sharks fan for

I have been cursed for

• Total voters

Frenzy.

Post Whore
zeppelin said:
Any of you old buggers on here go to the 73 or 78 grand final?

Yep. '73 and '78 but didn't get to the replay in '78.

I was 14 in '73 and like 30YS I wagged school to go. Unlike 30YS it wasn't the first time I wagged school :)

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
Sheros los Deros said:
I believe it was 1988. The last game of the year we beat the Dragons 18-17. After being down 17-2 at half time. Worrying signs. We did a lap of honour.

Gus Gould used our "lap of honour" to motivate his Bulldogs players. We were thumped in the first semi final.

Yes, and I still vividly recall the pain of the next week in the prelim final against Balmain. Beaten by one magic Ellery touch, we went down 9-2. 18 years ago and almost nothing since. Sigh.

Frenzy. said:

Remember it well. Was the year the rot really got set in IMO. Won the club's first Minor Premiership. I was on Beer Hill and the team did a lap of honour. I remember thinking at the time WTF is with this? Do they think the job is done now? There were more unhatched chickens counted in that week between the last round and the semis than I have ever seen.

History records we went bang, bang OUT.

:(

That was '88. In '89 we came 4th and lost to Canberra 1st semi who went on to win the maiden premiership from 5th place.

Edit: Just saw it was already answered.

zeppelin

Juniors
30 Year Sharkie said:
Yep, the 78 and the replay. The only day in my entire school life that I wagged. I wish I hadn't :(

i totally forgot the game was played during a work day. Was it a sell out?

1989 saw the 8-4 loss to the mighty Gold Coast, just when a top 3 spot beckoned. We beat the Broncs in a playoff, then had to play the Raiders a few days later, and got overunn.

Two very frustrating seasons.

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
zeppelin said:
i totally forgot the game was played during a work day. Was it a sell out?

I don't think so, zeppelin. It was midweek, I think only a few days after the GF and it was sorta turn up on the day. My memory of the day is hazy though. The only thing that sticks is the 16-0 scoreline :(

I honestly didn't think that my children would be older than I was then before I would get to another GF (I'm with those above that say SL doesn't count). Who knows, it may be grandchildren I take to the next one.

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
BTW Frenz, I meant to thank you for this thread. It's been very therapeutic to discover that amongst my protagonists on the board here there are those that have been through even more pain. Strangely I felt much better this week than the last few.

Takes my vote for thread of the year (if I may be as presumptuous to suggest that I have a vote. If not, perhaps I can encourage one of those with the secret masonic inner tube to vote on my behalf).

Also BTW, and dreadfully OT (I didn't want to annoy anyone with a new thread on the subject), what happened to Jemima? Definitely my favourite poster...

zeppelin

Juniors
30 Year Sharkie said:
Who knows, it may be grandchildren I take to the next one.

I bloody hope not! I dont even have kids yet and would like to think that one day i'll tell them the story of the sharks first ever premieship. I am now beginning to think that i might be taking my 18 year old to the grand final!

Quigs

Immortal
I do believe that the replayed GF was on a black black Tuesday... Harltey time....

The PLICK.....

scrum.gif

IF ONLY......

Cheers
Quigs

Frenzy.

Post Whore
30 Year Sharkie said:
BTW Frenz, I meant to thank you for this thread. It's been very therapeutic to discover that amongst my protagonists on the board here there are those that have been through even more pain. Strangely I felt much better this week than the last few.

Takes my vote for thread of the year (if I may be as presumptuous to suggest that I have a vote. If not, perhaps I can encourage one of those with the secret masonic inner tube to vote on my behalf).

Also BTW, and dreadfully OT (I didn't want to annoy anyone with a new thread on the subject), what happened to Jemima? Definitely my favourite poster...

An email I had from TIT told me that the duck is lurking.

Long live the Duck!

imasharkie

Coach
Jemima the old favourite that had a lot of people guessing for a long time.

Bring back the duck.

quack.

Dirk Titan

Juniors
I am 34 and only known the sharks. Some of the players 1967 team in the Colour me black white and blue book I call uncle because they are my dads mates and have known them all my life. My old man has played for them until Vietnam took him away and he started playing union for the army when he got drafted.

Feej

First Grade
30 Year Sharkie said:
Yep, the 78 and the replay. The only day in my entire school life that I wagged. I wish I hadn't :(
I'm with you. I wagged school to go to the replay, got busted and to add insult to the injury of losing, got "the strap" :) back at school.

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
imasharkie said:
Bring back the duck.

quack.

Do we need a petition? An email to the board perhaps? I'm just thinking if we don't win this week it'll be one of the longest off seasons ever and we'll need something ducky to tide us over to 2007.

30 Year Sharkie said:
yada yada yada get to the frikkin DUCK!!

wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkk

wak waakk waaakkk

Well, well, well

Ive been a Sharks duck for like 2 years now. Ever since that Frenzied piece put me onto them.

Trouble is while I gotta do my thing in the front row of the Windemere Anglican Girls School 16 stone 7 lbs team I don't get to many games at Oh What A Feeling Park. I'm a hooker you know.

Besides the flight is long and that swamp plays havoc with my tailfeathers wwaaaakkkkkkk

They get so matted I'm like a double dagged Kiwi centrefold - yeah that's right BBBAAAAAAAAA

I met a boy duck called Daffy. WOO HOO WOO HOO WOOOOOOO HOOO

I went to Peking but I escaped.

I even tried had a stint as a flying duck wall ornament in Mt Druitt but it made me feel flat.

Well gotta go, some mob called Harpic is after me for some sort of sponsorship arrangment

Shake ya tailfeathers Sharkies and don't forget to duck.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
30 Year Sharkie said:

That's part of why I posted it, I wanted to know who I was jousting with. :lol: