What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have been a Sharks fan for

I have been cursed for

• Total voters

Quigs

Immortal
mullet said:
He tends not be watch much RL anymore, he thinks its gone soft and isnt enjoying the way cronulla have been ravelling the past couple years, ohwell....

Gidday Mullet,

Sounds like your old man is a good bloke - and I tend to agree with him.

I was listening to the ABC radio the other morning and the guy used the description something along the lines of..

Rugby League, it used to be a sport, but now it is a television show.

(and if it is a television show - then the Sharks must be up there with Comedy inc.)

Think about it...

Over the years they have prostituted the great game - 25,351 rule changes, most to suit TV. and help the Packer ratings...

Mullet - I am rambling again - invite Dad to visit my website www.eraofthebiff.com and live in the past with me, when the game was fair dinkum and the 20 minute softening up period was not frowned upon - it was bloody well compulsory.

Cheers
Quigs

The Shire

Juniors
Started when i was 5. Good move :roll:

11 years. first game i watched was sharks vs Dogs who ever won i was gonna go for due to my gran dad plying for the dogs in the 70s

but either the sharks won or i just couldnt go for the team my whole house hold was supporting.

My dad is a manly fan, but i had morals and values even at age 5.

bull shark

Juniors
I went to the first home game at Sutho Oval at the age of 12. Had a magnificent half in those days called Terry Hughes - think he won the first Rothmans medal.

My Dad grew up in Hurstville so we were Saints fans till 1967. He's turning 80 next year and he told me on the weekend he doesn't believe he'll live to see a first Sharks Premiership.

For the first time ever I'm starting to believe there will never be one - in years to come there will be more mergers of clubs and Sharks will just get swallowed up.

Damn! Where did I put my Prozac

Bundy

Juniors
22ish.

But as I've said before, with no disprespect to those who have been around longer and supported for longer, I don't think it matters how long you've been a supporter for, just as long you are one. I understand your pain and disappointment. Truly I do, as I sit at my desk facing the 6th week of frustration, my staff now know to tread carefully for a couple of days after a Sharks loss (especially at this end of the season).

Thomo.

First Grade
Bundy said:
22ish.

But as I've said before, with no disprespect to those who have been around longer and supported for longer, I don't think it matters how long you've been a supporter for, just as long you are one. I understand your pain and disappointment. Truly I do, as I sit at my desk facing the 6th week of frustration, my staff now know to tread carefully for a couple of days after a Sharks loss (especially at this end of the season).
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

you rock Bundy!

wazzashark

Juniors
All my life thanks to my dad and grandad..... Makes it about 27 years....

Wouldn't change it for the world though....

I love my Sharks

Frenzy. said:
Maybe we should take a few home games back to the cemetry. Fugg going to the CC or Perth or wherever else.

Lets get back up on the concrete surface of Sutho Oval and start getting this side toughened up.

Toughen them up on the cricket pitch aye ?

That was my home ground for Sutho-Loftus United A Reserves, up until i fractured my thumb a few weeks ago........

Would be great to see them do it though......

Quigs said:
The will be conditions on the return to sutherland oval.

If we do go back to Sutho then I baggs changing the numbers on the scoreboard. And my gang has the dibs on who gets to crawl under the oppositions dressing room floor. Their small change is ours.

Cheers
Quigs

Dressing rooms have changed a little since then.... Still not very good though..... round the back underneath the club house, like a dungeon.....

As for the score board we don't have one.....

The Dodger

First Grade
never really got into footy until high school. so its 90 for me
live in menai so went for the closest team, my only other choice was the bulldogs and i would honestly rather follow a badmitten team than the bulldogs...

started following when i was 5 so 13 years.
fairly odd choice of team considering where i live and how the raiders were going back then. i think it was the sharks fridge magnet that swayed me. liked the shark, colours and et
been loyal ever since.

Quigs

Immortal
wazzashark said:
Dressing rooms have changed a little since then.... Still not very good though..... round the back underneath the club house, like a dungeon.....

As for the score board we don't have one.....

What no scoreboard !!!

Have they got rid of that thing that was about four steps up a ladder high on the eastern side of the ground. It was the best scoreboard in the league in 67. Just two painters planks and what looked like old water pipes welded together.

You stuck the numbers on the nails - it wasnt rocket science.

When you farked up the announcer told you the right scores... none of this "we will, we will rock you bullsh!t" It was just a straight announcement over the loud hailer.... "hey you kids on the scoreboard, will you add another try to the Berries score - it should be 26 - yeah thats right now, leave Cronullas - the 5 is correct."

Cheers
Quigs

Macca

Coach
Always loved the Sharks but I have to admit that I was brainwashed into being a Souths fan early on (Dad wouldn't take me to any other games) and didn't really start "going" for the Sharks until 99. I reckon I was a pretty good off season signing for them though.

andrew flap

Bench
I saw the first game in 67 with my dad when I was a lad. I have no memory of it. Mum and Dad had just moved into the area (and I was just born).

Never gave up on them, even when they really sucked, and that was often over the years.

The bit that really gets my goat is the dopey and often farcical way that we seem to lose. Getting Fultoned, then Hartleyed, then Mundined, then Brisbaned. One magical Sunday (for someone else) always seems to happen to us and leaves us short, yet again. I still recall a game against some one maybe in a final or something: we needed to score to win. At home, on their try line with the ball and by some miracle, a second ball comes onto the field and just that split second of hesitation buggers it all up. And my personal favourite, our favourite son Steve Rogers goes to ground in the 78 GF with an unmarked Steve Edmonds outside him. God, my sister could have passed that ball. Just bad luck.

This year is no bloody different. They suck and I still support them. I have many ex pat Cronulla mates as Shark supporters too. We say that when it finally happens, we will drink for a week solid. Given our poor form. May be wise to cut our losses and get pissed now to drown our sorrows.

See yez next year for more heartbreak.

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
My first game was at home vs Manly in 74. We lost 21-20 after a goal from the sideline on fulltime. I was hooked.

If only my father had driven a few more k's and taken me to, say, Belmore or Kogarah .. Aaaaarrrrgghhh

Hate Manly, hate Hartley. Hate hate hate. Possibly even more than I hate the current non-existent game plan and our lame backline (apart from Lord Covell).

The worst part is I've tried to get my son hooked as I was and even though we live out of the shire now we try to get to a few games every season. He's been going for three years now I think and we haven't seen them win. In truth we haven't even seen them go close. When they're on telly he watches for five minutes and says "they're crap" and the sad fact is he's right. He's 12 BTW.

After the heartache of the late 80s (when we last had a premiership-capable team), my father said that it didn't look like we'd ever win in his lifetime. My biggest wish now is that this doesn't turn out to be true.

Since 73

First Grade
p-teamq.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The Minister is the only bloke there who looks clued in.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
30 Year Sharkie said:
My first game was at home vs Manly in 74. We lost 21-20 after a goal from the sideline on fulltime. I was hooked.

If only my father had driven a few more k's and taken me to, say, Belmore or Kogarah .. Aaaaarrrrgghhh

Hate Manly, hate Hartley. Hate hate hate. Possibly even more than I hate the current non-existent game plan and our lame backline (apart from Lord Covell).

The worst part is I've tried to get my son hooked as I was and even though we live out of the shire now we try to get to a few games every season. He's been going for three years now I think and we haven't seen them win. In truth we haven't even seen them go close. When they're on telly he watches for five minutes and says "they're crap" and the sad fact is he's right. He's 12 BTW.

After the heartache of the late 80s (when we last had a premiership-capable team), my father said that it didn't look like we'd ever win in his lifetime. My biggest wish now is that this doesn't turn out to be true.

Remember it well. Was the year the rot really got set in IMO. Won the club's first Minor Premiership. I was on Beer Hill and the team did a lap of honour. I remember thinking at the time WTF is with this? Do they think the job is done now? There were more unhatched chickens counted in that week between the last round and the semis than I have ever seen.

History records we went bang, bang OUT.

:(

Macca

Coach
Frenzy. said:

Remember it well. Was the year the rot really got set in IMO. Won the club's first Minor Premiership. I was on Beer Hill and the team did a lap of honour. I remember thinking at the time WTF is with this? Do they think the job is done now? There were more unhatched chickens counted in that week between the last round and the semis than I have ever seen.

History records we went bang, bang OUT.

:(

I think that was 1988 Frenz. Souths were Minor Premiers in 1989. Both suffered similar fates.

Inept

Juniors
10-19

My dads work at the time (AKAI) were the sleeve sponsors i think, anyone have an idea what year that was? From then on been a sharks supporter despite no one else in the family being one. I have however converted my little brother, his awsome sharks pj's help the cause.

sharknows

Bench
Formerly a Newtown supporter I moved into the shire in 1977 (on grand final day would you believe and a St George player lived across the street- but that is another story). Thought this is great I can now have a team with a bit of promise .... well I'm still waiting but haven't given up.
I still vividly remember the 73 grand final (and getting into a blue with a bunch of sharks supporters in the carpark) and have been through all the gut wrenching losses since.

Latest posts