What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know I've done the right thing - Sonny Bill

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think he's coming from the other angle. He thinks the exorbitant amounts NRL contracts are worth these days are far too small.

Bring back the days where contracts like this weren't an issue - where the $$ wasn't the driving force.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Hence why you're probably on the dole. That's not how you run a company. You have a great commodity like SBW under lock and key for another 4 years and you just let him walk? There's kids running lemonade stands with more business nous than you.

You don't run a company by holding your employees to ransom either.

Sonny is gone. Time to worry about third party agreements now rather than being bloody minded.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Hence why you're probably on the dole. That's not how you run a company. You have a great commodity like SBW under lock and key for another 4 years and you just let him walk? There's kids running lemonade stands with more business nous than you.

Funnily enough people don't like being locked up like animals. SBW fled the cage. Wonder why.

salivor

First Grade
I think he's coming from the other angle. He thinks the exorbitant amounts NRL contracts are worth these days are far too small.

Bring back the days where contracts like this weren't an issue - where the $$ wasn't the driving force.

No he's already agreed with me in another thread that abolishing the cap won't have any affect as we simply can't compete with the Euro and the might of the European clubs. So therefore what other conclusion could we come to?

Timmah

Staff member
What is to suggest he was being locked up like an animal? And even if he was being "forcibly held" by the Bulldogs as you so ferociously claim... why couldn't he simply approach the club and say "I want out"? Regardless of rhyme or reason, his course of action was very much a wrong one to take. Anybody who can't understand that should not have access to a computer to be able to make the stupid, irrelevant and dumb comments you have over the past 24 hours.

Timmah

Staff member
No he's already agreed with me in another thread that abolishing the cap won't have any affect as we simply can't compete with the Euro and the might of the European clubs. So therefore what other conclusion could we come to?

He's a f*ckwit?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
What is to suggest he was being locked up like an animal? And even if he was being "forcibly held" by the Bulldogs as you so ferociously claim... why couldn't he simply approach the club and say "I want out"? Regardless of rhyme or reason, his course of action was very much a wrong one to take. Anybody who can't understand that should not have access to a computer to be able to make the stupid, irrelevant and dumb comments you have over the past 24 hours.

That would be a bit like asking your gaoler to let you out wouldn't it?

He has been intimating for months he wants out. Fairly obviously the dogs wanted him to remain caged. Think metaphorically!

salivor

First Grade
You don't run a company by holding your employees to ransom either.

Sonny is gone. Time to worry about third party agreements now rather than being bloody minded.

How was Williams being held to ransom? He was being asked to adhere to the agreement that he had signed with the Bulldogs. So now anybody who signs a contract is being held to ransom? Every professional athlete is an animal caught in a cage? Pull the other one you knob.

And third party deals, hold on you've already said in another thread:
SaveTheChildren said:
Unfortunately I agree with you. I see no long term fix either.

This was in response to me saying there is nothing we can do to compete with European Rugby Union. So you admit there is nothing we can do and you condone the NRL just letting any player that wants to walk out on their contract. So basically you condone raising the white flag. EA has it right, you're not a league fan, what you are promoting is becoming an amateur sport which basically means extinction and being taken over by Union. Nothing but another member of the leather patch brigade.

SaveTheChildren said:
Funnily enough people don't like being locked up like animals. SBW fled the cage. Wonder why.

:lol::lol::lol: Now you've really got to be taking the piss. How was he treated like an animal?

Timmah

Staff member
That would be a bit like asking your gaoler to let you out wouldn't it?

He has been intimating for months he wants out. Fairly obviously the dogs wanted him to remain caged. Think metaphorically!

You seem to forget SONNY signed the contract. SONNY agreed to 5 years. Both his manager and the club were asking 3 years... he went for more.

What part of that escapes you? HIS choice. He wasn't forced into it.

Shorty

Staff member
I'm going to tell you again STC.
Contract - Broken - Not on.

I'm not sure you're getting it but a few hours on the internet and wikipedia may open your eyes a little.
Because in the general scheme of things,when someone breaks a contract....it's illegal!

Timmah

Staff member
No. He was tricked/used.

By who? His father was reportedly the person who recommended a five year contract, and he agreed. Gavin Orr (his manager) and the Bulldogs club were only interested in a 3 year contract at the time of the signing so it actually came as a surprise.

You might get away with talking absolute nonsense around your own mates, but on here you're clearly out of your depth.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
By who? His father was reportedly the person who recommended a five year contract, and he agreed. Gavin Orr (his manager) and the Bulldogs club were only interested in a 3 year contract at the time of the signing so it actually came as a surprise.

You might get away with talking absolute nonsense around your own mates, but on here you're clearly out of your depth.

Specifically Gavin Orr and the Canterbury club.

salivor

First Grade
No. He was tricked/used.

How?

When he signed the deal he was just 20 years of age and had done nothing of great significance in Rugby League. He was untapped potential and at the same time a risky signing due to his injuries. Yet he signed a deal that made him one of the highest paid players in the NRL and he was the one who specifically wanted the 5 year deal, not his manager or club.

The Toulon deal wasn't on the market so you can't even say he was sold below his worth as a players worth is only decided by what rival clubs are prepared to pay for him. Now if there were any better deals put in front of him at the time, he's the one who chose to go with the Bulldogs instead.