What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think NZ warriors should go back to being known as Auckland Warriors do you?

forestfan

Juniors
Its highly trivial this kind of topic...and some may say kinda tedious of me to ponder

but as a New Zealander who is a fan of parra..I think its kinda stupid when its like on the scoreboard

New Zealand vs Gold Coast....it should be Auckland warriors ( thats were they are based, like in the A league its Wellington Phoenix not New Zealand phoenix)

I know they probably changed the name so as to appeal to rest of kiwis outside of auckland to support the franchise

but yeah I was just wondering if you guys think of them being called New Zealand

or going back to being named Auckland?

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
I actually agree

A lot of New Zealanders feel more of an affinity to an Australian club than the Warriors. The feeling is tat the Warriors is Auckland's team, and there is a lot of anti-Auckland sentiment around the rest of New Zealand.

And it does take away from the Test team.

boxhead

First Grade
Well, if the new team in New Zealand comes through (forget what they are called, sorry) then yes they should be renamed Auckland Warriors.

ASH_03

Juniors
That too, not everyone in NZ will support them just because they support the Test team, and I know many friends who support the Broncos or Titans or the Rabbits

Goddo

Bench
If we bring in another NZ team out of Wellington or Christchurch (or both), the Warriors will definately have to go back to being Auckland.

Imagine the rivalry between the NZ whatevers and teh JAFA Warriors.

I don't like the massive region names for teams.

NO to Western Australia Reds, YES to Perth Reds
NO to South Queensland, YES to South Brisbane/Ipswich-Logan

Regional names are only really justified when there isn't a city big enough, such as Tasmania or North Queensland.

Last edited:

forestfan

Juniors
If we bring in another NZ team out of Wellington or Christchurch (or both), the Warriors will definately have to go back to being Auckland.

Imagine the rivalry between the NZ whatevers and the JAFA Warriors...

I suppose another thing ive just thought of is this too

they are called NZ BUT YET ONLY PLAYED ONE GAME..OUTSIDE OF aux this year..AMI roosters home game christchurch

kinda non-sensical to be known as NZ..in that regard...

Eels Dude

Coach
It's up to the club really. Didn't the guys who bought them out want to change the name to New Zealand because they didn't want to be associated with the previous Auckland Warriors or something and start afresh??

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Just to clear all this up - they aren't called the New Zealand Warriors, or the Auckland Warriors, or the Penrose Warriors or whatever.

They are the Vodafone Warriors officially, or the Warriors if you're not into your corporate w*nky title. No place in the club, on jerseys, anywhere involved with the team will you find NZ.

forestfan

Juniors
It's up to the club really. Didn't the guys who bought them out want to change the name to New Zealand because they didn't want to be associated with the previous Auckland Warriors or something and start afresh??

your probably right there yes

Lego_Man

First Grade
I'm pretty sure the organisation doesnt formally call itself the "NZ Warriors" anymore, rather simply the Warriors or Vodafone Warriors.

For broadcasting/administrative purposes though you need something to put in front of the "Warriors", and "New Zealand" is the only thing that fits.

However i agree they should be the Auckland Warriors. That's how i think of them.

It's especially weird when people (Ray Warren) start talking about "New Zealand vs Canterbury Bankstown", or "New Zealand vs Parramatta". Just sounds geniused....like it would be if it was "Australia vs Ponsonby".

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
I'm pretty sure the organisation doesnt formally call itself the "NZ Warriors" anymore, rather simply the Warriors or Vodafone Warriors.

For broadcasting/administrative purposes though you need something to put in front of the "Warriors", and "New Zealand" is the only thing that fits.

However i agree they should be the Auckland Warriors. That's how i think of them.

No they don't... For years the Bulldogs were simply known as 'The Bulldogs' and the Sharks as 'The Sharks'...

At the time of the change, it was because they didn't want to be associated with the failed owners of the Auckland Warriors.

forestfan

Juniors

It's especially weird when people (Ray Warren) start talking about "New Zealand vs Canterbury Bankstown", or "New Zealand vs Parramatta". Just sounds geniused....like it would be if it was "Australia vs Ponsonby".

exactly mate

Eels Dude

Coach
Never should of been allowed to change the name in the first place.

Why not? Clubs do it all the time. The Roosters went from Easts to Sydney City to now just Sydney. In the mid 90's Balmain and Canterbury briefly became the Sydney Tigers and Sydney Bulldogs. Only a few years ago both the Bulldogs and Sharks dropped Canterbury and Cronulla from their names respectively before deciding to revert back a couple of years ago. There's no reason I can see why the Warriors just can't be known as the Warriors and from other posts in this thread it seems they already are just the Warriors.