What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I took drugs my whole career: Andrew Johns

Tom Shines

First Grade
brooksy19 said:
Phil Gould should of asked if he done other drugs, You guys don't really think he only did E right?
Yeah.

Because not all drugs take two days to get out of your system. If he was on something harder, perhaps there is an issue of a drug test cover-up.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
go stuff yourself all of you that say it has runied johns, he is the one who has the guts to come out and say it, i guarantee you more than 50% of footy players in the nrl take drugs and have been for sometime

innsaneink said:
[/b]I dont really see anyone saying they beleive the game is squeaky clean....who are the naive mugs and what did they post?

The mugs are the ones who think E is the scourge of the world and the substance of the devil, of which there are many angellic Fred Nile types on here. The only harmful side effect of E that I can assertain in thorough in field testing is that it makes dance music almost tolerable. If it made something boring for kate almost tolerable then it would be a massive issue in society imo

innsaneink

Referee
Another that thinks drugs affect everyone equally.....they dont mulli, some cant handle them 'responsibly'.
Its like saying maccas is OK...it is for those that have it once a month...abuse it and you'll soon see its not that good.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Another that thinks drugs affect everyone equally.....they dont mulli, some cant handle them 'responsibly'.
Its like saying maccas is OK...it is for those that have it once a month...abuse it and you'll soon see its not that good.
maccas is good for you at 4 in the morning after a huge night on the piss though

JB

Juniors
You dont think the "immortals" were squeaky clean do you?

Drugs we're around, although not as prominent or accessible, but they we're there.

Alcohol abuse was rife at this time, and all the associated problems were prominent. i.e wife abuse.

The old "what goes on tour stays on tour" motto was in full effect during this time that these "immortals" we're involved in the game. How many women did these "married" men bed? How many drunken brawls erupted? How many motels, pubs and such we're trashed on tours they we're involved in? During the 50s,60s,70s, even 80s these things we're not talked about or reported. It was a code of silence.

What about racism? It was prominent in society and in the game during this supposed "golden era" of rugby league. You cant tell me all those "immortals" were open minded, tolerant men. Sorry, i forgot, we dont like talking about that.

I'm not accusing these men of anything, just stating what was around during the time they played, and you'd be foolish to think all these "immortals" had no skeletons in their closet, that by todays standards would make popping a pill look tame.

Based on what he did on the field, then yes Andrew Johns is an immortal.

Shorty

Staff member
f**k.
Why the hell are people defending drugs?

It's downright disturbing!
So what if it doesn't cause as many problems as other drugs...does that mean if I go out and steal a skirt instead of a sound system that it's any better?
Will I get away scott free for committing that crime..

No,ecstasy doesn't take lives very often but it wrecks lives a whole lot more.
What people have failed to establish in this thread is the fact that drugs will change a person immensely.

Oh yeah have a few 'pingers' on the weekend no harm,then it's got to have a few a 'pingers' on the weekend to have a good time.

Andrew also appears very depressed,gee I wonder what could have contributed to this?
Hmm maybe it was the comedowns...back to reality and back to pressure.

Sticking up for him is one thing,and that's fine he's taken responsibility for himself regardless of the details and taken a step in the right direction but trying to validate his drug taking is another thing.

We can empathize all we want but I'm pretty sure most of you wouldn't have jobs had your superiors found out of your recreational drug use...

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Blind Freddy said:
You missed my point entirely .... it doesn't matter if its illegal or not people will still take it because they find it entertaining or fun. "Illegal" is just a word to those who are hooked.

Blind Freddy said:
You're misquoting me. My reference is that people who are on drugs don't give a flying f**k if it's illegal or not!!

They've still made the descision to take it. Eliminate drugs being made in the first place, go after those guys who manufacture it and you stop the thousands of abusers out there.

geez misquoting galore.

Sorry, where did I misquote you?

The argument people are talking about is that despite whether it is 'entertaining or fun', it is still illegal to do it. People calling it what it is, an illegal act. Nobody cares what the interpretation of those doing it is or what the word means to those using it.

L2Read in context.

Fibroman

First Grade
Yeah sure. Joey is sily for taking illicit drugs over a number of years. I can tell you a fact that he is no Robinson Crusoe. I know for a fact that there are a number of players popping pills and putting white powder up their noses on a semi regular basis.

The problem is that they are so freely available.

If the cops said " We're not going to do RBT anymore. The only time you done for drink driving, is it you have a prang and go to hospital"

How many drinkers out there would be driving home sidesways. Doesn't make it right to do it, but the Government needs to put checks and balances in place to make sure the chances of it happening are reduced.

Drug test the players religiously every weeks. Twice a week. They won't take drugs. Tell them if they produce a positive sample they blow their entire years salary. Fine = the entire 150, 200 K, whatever.

Azkatro

First Grade
There is no need for all this debate. I think people who thought Johns was God are just a little rattled by all this and finding it harder and harder by the minute to defend him.

Andrew Johns is a drug addict. The end.

perverse

Referee
Azkatro said:
There is no need for all this debate. I think people who thought Johns was God are just a little rattled by all this and finding it harder and harder by the minute to defend him.

Andrew Johns is a drug addict. The end.
no, there is just no point trying to convince someone of something if they have already made up their mind. i've given my opinion extensively throughout this thread.. and i no longer feel the need to defend it. a lot of people have very closed minds around here, and tbh i've given up caring what they think.

Azkatro

First Grade
perverse said:
no, there is just no point trying to convince someone of something if they have already made up their mind. i've given my opinion extensively throughout this thread.. and i no longer feel the need to defend it. a lot of people have very closed minds around here, and tbh i've given up caring what they think.
You don't f**king get it do you? There are so many kids out there who idolise the bloke and parents have to deal with the fact that their kids have been idolising a junkie. And they have every right to be angry at the NRL, and the Knights, for not making an example of him. It's ridiculous.

perverse

Referee
Azkatro said:
You don't f**king get it do you? There are so many kids out there who idolise the bloke and parents have to deal with the fact that their kids have been idolising a junkie. And they have every right to be angry at the NRL, and the Knights, for not making an example of him. It's ridiculous.
depression and self medication with illicit substances is an illness that i have seen played out in front of me many times before - and joey is a classic example of this. that is my opinion - and i don't think making an example of someone - no matter who they are - is the right course of action to take.

how would you feel if they did hang him out to dry - crucify him - and he wound up committing suicide? that is a very real possibility of the situation. how would his 7 year old son samuel feel then? think outside your own little box.

Hallatia

Referee
Azkatro said:
they were not idolising Andrew Johns the junkie, they were idolising Andrew Johns the Rugby league legend, who now it turns out was on drugs, be fair, nobody idolises junkies

by the way it was never the role of Andrew Johns to teach tese kids that drugs are bad

Azkatro

First Grade
perverse said:
depression and self medication with illicit substances is an illness that i have seen played out in front of me many times before - and joey is a classic example of this. that is my opinion - and i don't think making an example of someone - no matter who they are - is the right course of action to take.

how would you feel if they did hang him out to dry - crucify him - and he wound up committing suicide? that is a very real possibility of the situation. how would his 7 year old son samuel feel then? think outside your own little box.
To be quite honest my biggest issue with Andrew Johns, and always has been, has little to do with him. It's the people around him and the way they treat him. His entire career he has been overhyped and protected and it seems evident that every man and his dog from his manager to the Knights to whoever you want to get involved has covered this all up for years. This should have been identified and made an example of in 1994 or 1995 and he should have been given the opportunity back then to fix up the problem. But no, it carried on and here we are.

Like I said in my post people would have every right to feel angry at the Knights and/or the NRL and other governing bodies in the game for this to have carried on like it did.

Hallatia said:
they were not idolising Andrew Johns the junkie, they were idolising Andrew Johns the Rugby league legend, who now it turns out was on drugs, be fair, nobody idolises junkies

by the way it was never the role of Andrew Johns to teach tese kids that drugs are bad
Some kids don't know any better. If they see their idols smoking and doing drugs they are going to think it's cool and ok. And every NRL player is a role model, that's part of the job. And when you're the marquee player of your sport you are a huge role model.

perverse

Referee
Azkatro said:
To be quite honest my biggest issue with Andrew Johns, and always has been, has little to do with him. It's the people around him and the way they treat him. His entire career he has been overhyped and protected and it seems evident that every man and his dog from his manager to the Knights to whoever you want to get involved has covered this all up for years. This should have been identified and made an example of in 1994 or 1995 and he should have been given the opportunity back then to fix up the problem. But no, it carried on and here we are.

Like I said in my post people would have every right to feel angry at the Knights and/or the NRL and other governing bodies in the game for this to have carried on like it did.
i definitely agree with you on this - the NRL and the knights have a lot of explaining to do. the thing is it is far too late to make an example out of him now - you're right that it should have been done around 94 - 95... when the problem first arose. this is where the major problem lies and the authorities involved in this (ARL.. NRL... Knights) have some mega explaining to do.

it was irresponsible of them to allow it to continue for the role model reasons, for the fairness to other players in the sport, for the image of the game and for andrews own long term well being.