What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I took drugs my whole career: Andrew Johns

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Knights knew about Joey's habit
By Dean Ritchie
August 31, 2007 ANDREW Johns said last night that the Newcastle club and its players knew about his drug taking.

The revelations from the rugby league player of his generation continued on Channel 9 as he described his 12 years of drug use.

"I know I'll never go near it again," he said.

His most stunning claim was that his club knew about his habits.

Earlier, NRL chief executive David Gallop said there was no reason to believe anyone had ever covered up for the former Australia captain.

Asked on The Footy Show if his family knew about his drug use, Johns said: "Yeah, I think so."

Johns was then asked if his club knew.

"I'd say so, on occasions," he said.

And his teammates?

"Yeah."

During a lengthy interview, the double Golden Boot winner also revealed for the first time that he took prescription drugs for depression.

"I sort of have for the last five years or so ... pretty constantly," he told interviewer Phil Gould.

"I didn't want to take it. It was because it stabilised me and took away these incredible highs I got on.

"But invariably after the highs I'd crash to lows where I wouldn't leave the house for four days.

"It contributed to the way I behaved. It could be a matter of days. One minute I could be literally willing to take the world on and that's when I was at my creative best, when I was playing.

"Then one day I could turn up on the field and I wouldn't want to talk to anybody."

Johns said he took drugs during the season "only a couple of times".

"There were times when I would be playing the biggest games of the season and it would be in the back of my mind," he admitted.

NRL records show that Johns was tested 17 times since 1998. Johns estimated "two or three times a year".

"I felt like I was on the borderline, maybe I could go positive, maybe I could go negative," he said.

"I've had so many close calls.

"It's incredibly selfish behaviour when you think about it.

"Drugs ... have destroyed the great times in my life."

Johns declined to say whether he knew of other players with similar habits.

"I don't know and I don't want to answer," he said.

"I'm here to talk about me ... you can't tar everyone with the same brush."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22337913-23214,00.html

Dutchy

Immortal
If it can be proven Knights management knew about his drug taking. Is thier any sort of action the NRL can take against the club? Its really neglectful and disturbing.

perverse

Referee
Dutchy said:
If it can be proven Knights management knew about his drug taking. Is thier any sort of action the NRL can take against the club? Its really neglectful and disturbing.
i daresay financial action can and will be taken - unless it comes out that the NRL were covering it up too.

Dutchy

Immortal
perverse said:
i daresay financial action can and will be taken - unless it comes out that the NRL were covering it up too.

If the ARL/NRL knew...It would stay behind closed doors forever.

Timmah

Staff member
Stripping points won't do jack - the Knights are last anyway.

Financial penalties (big time ones too) will be issued IMO.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Misanthrope said:
It's not a waste. Others were amused. I can think of at least three forummers who posted to that effect. Did any rally to your witty ripostes?

Do you know what soiled means?

Hey, just because fish and chip boy said no, doesn't mean you can come to me for pity love. You're not my type.

Now, if you don't mind, we were discussing Scarface. I'm done with you. Try me again tomorrow, and maybe I'll be in the mood to belittle you some more. In the meantime, bone up on big words and broaden your comedic tastes beyond The Simpsons and Police Academy. The British have made some astonishing leaps in that department.

Hahahah omfg dude get laid please...

When it all boils down to gravy you made one actual point and it was wrong. Nice.

The rest was admittedly an interesting voyueristic journey to your geekdom, but thats about it. I'm not overly surprised your ego lives and dies by the reponses of random nobodies on the internet. Unfortunately for you mine doesn't.

As for broadening, when you come up with something that is an improvement on what I have seen scrawled on a thousand toilet walls I might be impressed. I won't hold my breath.

Belittle me further? Go right ahead. I look forward to more c grade toilet humour rehashed from a thousand other threads you have eeked out an existence in.

And fear not. Virginal IT students aren't my type either. But good luck getting to 20 000 posts here. you clearly have a lot of room in your social calender, can't think why, I mean chicks really dig forum whores don't they? But hey at least you will always have your 'random forummers'. Who knows, maybe one of then will pop your cherry for you. Forgive me though if I fail to give anymore of a toss about their opinions than I do yours.

But to sum up...

AJ is a wanker of the highest order. He was last night, he remains so today.

You being the sad, gullible dick sucker that you are, fell for yet another Johns inspired PR campaign by nine and got all emotional, right on cue.

I bet Mitchell Sargent wishes his brother was the star of the footy show. He could have done a nice little puff piece that would have had you in raptures of sympathy.

But by all means feel free to engage me in an actual debate. It has seemed completley beyond you to this point.

perverse

Referee
ROFL you're back?!?

i'll give you one thing - you've got spirit... and just when the topic had made it back on the rails too...

As a knights fan I will say this.

I am disgusted at his actions, I will always respect his on field accomplishments as is his due, I've always said his a great player and a average human being.

Now I consider him to be scum, anyone including knights fans who is applauding him for comming forward is a joke. Its blatantly obvious that he is in damage control mode and with his management they concotted this little interview as obviously a hell of a lot more sordid facts where going to get revealed.

I have a great autographed Joey framed picture @ home that I paid a fair amount for and numerous other knights memorabilia. At the moment I wont to take a hammer to them, but til I calm down they are garage bound.

Shame, shame Joey Johns especially after league fought to keep you a couple of years ago against union. Like Saab said you have pissed all over us.

Bring on 08, I wont be watching the knights for the last game this year.

perverse

Referee
Baron Vo Mandor said:
the rest of your post is your opinion and i'm done with the debate... but this is a terrible attitude from a supposed knights fan. i'll support my club to hell and back again.

Timmah

Staff member
Regardless of the outcome, this entire affair will leave an indelible scar on Rugby League for a very long time. THAT is undeniable.

Timmah

Staff member
Baron Vo Mandor said:
As a knights fan I will say this.

I am disgusted at his actions, I will always respect his on field accomplishments as is his due, I've always said his a great player and a average human being.

Now I consider him to be scum, anyone including knights fans who is applauding him for comming forward is a joke. Its blatantly obvious that he is in damage control mode and with his management they concotted this little interview as obviously a hell of a lot more sordid facts where going to get revealed.

I have a great autographed Joey framed picture @ home that I paid a fair amount for and numerous other knights memorabilia. At the moment I wont to take a hammer to them, but til I calm down they are garage bound.

Shame, shame Joey Johns especially after league fought to keep you a couple of years ago against union. Like Saab said you have pissed all over us.

Normally we're at each others throats on these forums but I can't see a thing wrong with that post. Very well said :clap: Don't blame you for switching of the Tele tonight at 9:30 either.

Yeah maybe so perverse I can accept your argument but compiled with the sh!t on field results were most weeks our guys arent trying, only to find out that your shining light and soul of the team is a drug cheat who never should have been on the field is a drug cheat is a hard pill to swallow.

I'll always be a diehard knights fan and love them only second to my partner and family but like everything sometimes you've gotta step back for a while.

Thanks Timmah and to be honest with everyone and I am sure a lot of diehards are like this I barely slept last night. I was sick to the stomach.

perverse

Referee
Baron Vo Mandor said:
Yeah maybe so perverse I can accept your argument but compiled with the sh!t on field results were most weeks our guys arent trying, only to find out that your shining light and soul of the team is a drug cheat who never should have been on the field is a drug cheat is a hard pill to swallow.

I'll always be a diehard knights fan and love them only second to my partner and family but like everything sometimes you've gotta step back for a while.
mate, while i agree with what you're saying - the club need us - the die hard fans - more than ever right now.

you can't take the highs without the lows (no matter how low). that's not what being a true supporter is all about. it is painful and i didn't sleep much last night.. but that's life unfortunately.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
3. because it goes to show you the man has no right being on the same level as the current immortals, whom were all not only great on but off the field also

:lol:

How little you know

Drew-Sta

Staff member
perverse said:
mate, while i agree with what you're saying - the club need us - the die hard fans - more than ever right now.

you can't take the highs without the lows (no matter how low). that's not what being a true supporter is all about. it is painful and i didn't sleep much last night.. but that's life unfortunately.

Perverse, you can only get kicked in the teeth so many times before you get fed up with it.

The way Rugby League has treated its supporters over the last 15 years, with SL, teams merging/being kicked out/disappearing, drug scandals, sexual assaults by players across multiple clubs and players emphasis on money etc it's a wonder it has supporters left.

I'm sure Baron will be back next year, but ATM he's simply disillusioned with the way things are going. Unfortunately, it appears as though the club administrations these days are more interested in themselves and their own self profit rather than the teams success, some simple morals and the supporters.

Add to that the ego's and actions of some players, and you begin to wonder exactly what you're supporting...

perverse

Referee
Drew-Sta said:
Perverse, you can only get kicked in the teeth so many times before you get fed up with it.

The way Rugby League has treated its supporters over the last 15 years, with SL, teams merging/being kicked out/disappearing, drug scandals, sexual assaults by players across multiple clubs and players emphasis on money etc it's a wonder it has supporters left.

I'm sure Baron will be back next year, but ATM he's simply disillusioned with the way things are going. Unfortunately, it appears as though the club administrations these days are more interested in themselves and their own self profit rather than the teams success, some simple morals and the supporters.

Add to that the ego's and actions of some players, and you begin to wonder exactly what you're supporting...
once again i can't say i disagree with you at all - i'm just saying that the club needs us now - and i'll be there for the club. it's really just my opinion - and baron is entitled to do as he wishes. it is my opinion that the club needs me, and him, and every supporter possible through these dark times. further action must be taken by the club - heads must roll - and we must be there through it to ensure the future success and survival of our club.

as i said.. just my opinion here.. there probably isn't a right or wrong in this situation.. it's all shades of grey. but i'll be there until the last breath, and i hope i have other knights supporters beside me through it.

smeghead

Bench
As a light hearted aside in my head last night I thought it would have been amusing if Joey had come out during the Shannon Noll perforfance covered in body glitter, whistle in mouth, glow sticks in hand just raving out

Believe me perverse I am as dinky die knights as they come when we were getting touched up every week for 13, I was there for like 4 home games in a row, even though its like 2.5 hours on the train eachway.... But yeah.....

When there trying there guts out and making us proud its one thing when you see they arent trying @ all, and I admit I suspect delibrately.

Plus this, I am like blown!

How he could do this to us, its the ultimate betrayal.

perverse

Referee
Baron Vo Mandor said:
How he could do this to us, its the ultimate betrayal.
that's over simplifying the issue considerably. many parties are involved in what has transpired - and they will be held accountable for it over the coming weeks.

Latest posts