What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Eels could sign ONE player for next year, who would u choose?

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
Can someone explain to me how we originally planned to buy Jamie Lyon this year, in addition to Tahu, but now we apparently need to chose between keeping younger players and signing one name player?

After 14-15 players of first grade or near first grade standard came off our books this season?

I don't think they were expecting to sign Finch or Ian at that stage. Finch, being an Origin player, will have filled some of what was put aside for Lyon. Also partly the reason why they pushed hard to keep Blake Green, who quite possibly wouldn't have been had we signed Lyon.

They also upgraded deals to Riddell, Nathan, Cayless and Guru. Hayne had only just burst on the scene at that stage and no one knew what impact he would have. He is on a considerably upgraded deal from the Flegg contract he would have been on and he wasn't a part of the top 25 at that stage. Any bonuses that he was on in 2006 for making first grade would also become part of the 2007 cap.

Those 14 or 15 players that came off contract - there were probably only three who were making considerable money and only one of those in Morrison would have been on most of that bunch. Players like Delaney, O'Dywer, Petersen and even Widders weren't on huge dollars by any stretch.

Mateo, Paulo, Green, Taia, Hauraki, Inu and Oake would seemingly have moved into the top 25 as well.

What also has to be remembered is that a club now has to use up to a certain percentage of its cap so it can't "pre-pay" players like a few did a couple of years ago.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
eelavation said:
actually twiz..I'm pretty certain he's extended that contract, last i heard he won't be coming back the NRL.

bummer

love to have him back,

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
I don't think they were expecting to sign Finch or Ian at that stage. Finch, being an Origin player, will have filled some of what was put aside for Lyon. Also partly the reason why they pushed hard to keep Blake Green, who quite possibly wouldn't have been had we signed Lyon.

They also upgraded deals to Riddell, Nathan, Cayless and Guru. Hayne had only just burst on the scene at that stage and no one knew what impact he would have. He is on a considerably upgraded deal from the Flegg contract he would have been on and he wasn't a part of the top 25 at that stage. Any bonuses that he was on in 2006 for making first grade would also become part of the 2007 cap.

Those 14 or 15 players that came off contract - there were probably only three who were making considerable money and only one of those in Morrison would have been on most of that bunch. Players like Delaney, O'Dywer, Petersen and even Widders weren't on huge dollars by any stretch.

Mateo, Paulo, Green, Taia, Hauraki, Inu and Oake would seemingly have moved into the top 25 as well.

Colonel, how do you know what the players are on?
Riddell for instance, came here on big money - and you say it was upgraded??
Cayless would also have been on big money from his last contract - to have upgraded that further seems peculiar.
Grothe is the only one of those three that I believe would have been offered a pay rise, and deservedly so. I reckon we would have got him back cheaply from the Roosters. I can't believe the other two have been given a pay rise.

That takes care of three of the 14 or 15.

As for the other 12, there wouldn't have been any of them on less than 100 k's a year. That's at least 1.2 million. Some of them would have been on more so I'm being conservative here.
Are you saying it has taken that amount of money to buy Finch, Hindmarsh and Lowrie, and upgrade the contracts of the others that have crept into the 25?
If that's the case, that's very poor management.
Add to this the money we now have for Tahu and the increase in the salary cap, and I can't believe that we haven't got a healthy little sum to spend on one or two marquee players and some left over to keep our juniors.

Suity

eels1986

Juniors
I would take Todd Carney in a heartbeat. This kid is the REAL next big thing. He will play 5/8 for the Blues next year. As for a forward I would love to get Michael Crocker from the Storm and Anthony Kafuasi would be great. Don't forget the foward pack we have took us to a minor premiership just over a year ago so we are not that bad. Carney and Smith in the halves would be sensational!

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Colonel, how do you know what the players are on?
Riddell for instance, came here on big money - and you say it was upgraded??
Cayless would also have been on big money from his last contract - to have upgraded that further seems peculiar.
Grothe is the only one of those three that I believe would have been offered a pay rise, and deservedly so. I reckon we would have got him back cheaply from the Roosters. I can't believe the other two have been given a pay rise.

That takes care of three of the 14 or 15.

As for the other 12, there wouldn't have been any of them on less than 100 k's a year. That's at least 1.2 million. Some of them would have been on more so I'm being conservative here.
Are you saying it has taken that amount of money to buy Finch, Hindmarsh and Lowrie, and upgrade the contracts of the others that have crept into the 25?
If that's the case, that's very poor management.
Add to this the money we now have for Tahu and the increase in the salary cap, and I can't believe that we haven't got a healthy little sum to spend on one or two marquee players and some left over to keep our juniors.

Suity

I don't know exact figures as to what players are on but I have a good idea that the figures bandied around here are well off the mark.

For a start there is no way that players like Delaney, O'Dwyer, Petersen, Perenara, Peek, Afamasaga and Lewis would have been on more than $100,000 dollars. Half that and I think you are a lot closer. I expect you are over inflating the value of players in that instance. The NRL minimum payment last year was $35,000 and was increased to $50,000 this year. For any of those players to be on more than double that is laughable. Sideshow for instance was only signed on for 2006 as a last choice when other clubs didn't pick him up. Flegg contracts are hardly worth mega dollars either so minimum wage for these kids is considered a good deal.

Whether all of those 14 or 15 were part of the top 25 as well needs to be considered as well.

We did re-sign a number of players around June 30 and the end of the season to new deals as well.

Vella's last contract was also suggested to be less than what he was on when he was playing for NSW and Australia - that was only signed at the end of 2005.

Since Grothe's last contract he has played for NSW and Australia.

As for Hindy - he signed a long term deal and this was topped up to make him the highest paid player at the club.

Riddell and Cayless were suggested to be on considerable money - whether it remained the same or was increased you alos have to consider any incentives that are worked into these contracts. These incentives have to be worked into the cap as well. They may not necessarily be paid more money as such but their contracts may have incentives that are worth more if targets are met.

The NRL does not allow clubs to use a buffer in there cap anymore. They have to spend a minimum amount of their cap on players - I don't know an exact figure but this was to stop clubs using the cap for example from 2004 to sign players for 2005. The club can't be under the cap by a considerable amount because the NRL will not let them. If the money is there it now has to be spent.

eel01s

Bench
eels1986 said:
I would take Todd Carney in a heartbeat. This kid is the REAL next big thing. He will play 5/8 for the Blues next year. As for a forward I would love to get Michael Crocker from the Storm and Anthony Kafuasi would be great. Don't forget the foward pack we have took us to a minor premiership just over a year ago so we are not that bad. Carney and Smith in the halves would be sensational!

We had Paul Stringer in that pack, and he was playing great that year. We really miss that sort of form in the pack. Also, Widders was on fire that year.

The Colonel

Immortal
eels1986 said:

Carney signed a new deal for 2010. Crocker and Kaufusi are under contract as well.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Luke Odonnell for mine, And that Danny wicks goes alright as well. We need some muscle up front to Give Hindy and Caylo a hand.

parra pete

Referee
Josh Lewis for me. I think he is, as Bruce McAvaney would say,...."special"
And he would be cheap.......atm..

Luke O'Donnell would be as good if not better value than Glenn Morrison...

cardinal

Juniors
parra pete said:
Josh Lewis for me. I think he is, as Bruce McAvaney would say,...."special"
And he would be cheap.......atm..

Luke O'Donnell would be as good if not better value than Glenn Morrison...

:lol: Josh Lewis is your modern day Ben Kusto give me Tim anyday at least he can get picked in first grade. Anyway sounds like sticky wants to give the roosters Kimmorley for a swap with Lewis.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Could it be any player? Because if so, I simply could not go past Roy Asotasi. He has it all - go-forward, brutal defence, a great offload...

But if it is just relating to off-contract players, I would chase hard after O'Meley.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
Could it be any player? Because if so, I simply could not go past Roy Asotasi. He has it all - go-forward, brutal defence, a great offload...

But if it is just relating to off-contract players, I would chase hard after O'Meley.

Have you read the paper today?? ;-)

Suity

cardinal

Juniors
eelavation said:
I'd def keep Mateo wc..not sure about Blakey at this stage as we may need to make a choice between him and timmy, Blake def wants to progress in his career and not sit behind Timmy and Finchy...so we may struggle to keep both Blake and Tim.

should be interesting to see what choices the club makes.

Oh well it has to be see you later Blake then. Tim and Keating are our best long term 1/2 and 5/8 combo by far, Keatings game compliments Tim's the best and if finch gets hurt or continues in the same form it would'nt surprise to see him promoted from jersey flegg to nrl. He played in the same aus schoolboy team as Mullane from the knights and has as much talant as him I believe.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Suitman said:
Have you read the paper today?? ;-)

Suity

:shock:

WHAT!?!?!?! Asotasi signed with Souths? When did this happen? :sarcasm:

I did hear that O'Meley reportedly signed with the Chooks, but the last thing I heard was Roosters management denying it (and I naively believed it :oops: ).

Oh, well...Go Cordoba!

parra pete

Referee
cardinal said:
:lol: Josh Lewis is your modern day Ben Kusto give me Tim anyday at least he can get picked in first grade. Anyway sounds like sticky wants to give the roosters Kimmorley for a swap with Lewis.

Hey, give me Ben Kusto over Smith too. What is your objection to Ben Kusto? Is it his name?
Josh Lewis is a very talented player and I can see why Ricky Stuart would want to swap him for Brett Kimorley.
He would get a younger and better player and save himself a few Salary Cap dollars.
Don't underestimate Josh Lewis..he is a kid who CAN play.
Sure, Tim Smith gets picked in first grade but I know it - and deep in your heart you know it too - he is not up to it.

Latest posts