What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Eels could sign ONE player for next year, who would u choose?

eel01s

Bench
The player you choose must be off contract. Who would you buy in order to strengthen the team, and why?

For mine: Luke O'Donnell.

Why? Eels are struggling in the forwards, and need a "hard man" who can play more than 60min a game. Would be a good mentor for younger forwards.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Jay Cay

Luke O'Donnell is OK, but not a match winner or a line breaker imo

The Colonel

Immortal
Not sure why we need a mentor for our younger forwards when they have the best second rower in the game at the club.

Off contract player - Brett White - hits the line hard, very good solid player and young enough to build around long term.

Otherwise it would be Andrew Ryan.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm assuming you mean those who are off contract???

first preference: Luke O'Donnell

Second Preference: Brent Kite

third preference: Joel Clinton.

eel01s

Bench
Twizzle said:
Jay Cay

Luke O'Donnell is OK, but not a match winner or a line breaker imo

And Jay Cay is? But is he off contract?

What is interesting is that all serious suggestions have been forwards. I wouldn't have a problem with any of them, and certainly think Kite is another good choice.

Oh and Colonel, yes Hindy is the best second rower, but the Eels still need to add aggression to their pack. This is the aspect that the younger players need to learn.

Utey

Coach
Jason Cayless.

I'd take O'Donnell. But we need a prop. Danny Wicks would be very nice. I'm sure we will get one or two good signings. I'd hope so anyways.

The Colonel

Immortal
eel01s said:
Oh and Colonel, yes Hindy is the best second rower, but the Eels still need to add aggression to their pack. This is the aspect that the younger players need to learn.

I think you'll find that a number of the younger "stars" in our lower grades are particularly agressive and probably need to learn composure in certain situations. There are one or two who could learn to be a little harder than they are as well.

Stagger eel

Staff member
join the bandwagon said:
Hodges is off contract... give him Tahu's salary.

The team loses nothing

yes they do..they'll more than likely lose Feleti and a few others.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Hodges needs Wayne Bennett to tuck him at night. The Hodges at a Sydney club experiment has already been proven to be a failure.

You can have the Austrailian centres in your side but if you don't have decent forwards or halves they are not much use.

Back on topic I would like in order (like many others)

O'Donnell
Ryles (believe he is off contract)
Kite
Clinton
Brett White (I didn't know he was off contract)

eel01s

Bench
So basically if the Club wants to retain the likes of Green, Mateo etc. they will have to virtually guarantee a first grade spot AND give them a significant pay rise?

I think that these guys will definitely need to prove themselves in the top grade THIS year then.

Michael Monaghan?? See how good he is at halfback but Manly play him at hooker cause of Orford.

Would be a great buy, especially if Smith can't reprise 05 form

Latest posts