What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If we started the NRL from scratch, what teams would we have?

POPEYE

Coach
This will be interesting........

Cool. Lets play all teams at North Sydney Oval, closest ground to Channel 9 studios. The teams can be Kiribilli, North Sydney, Blues Point, Crows Nest, Wollstonecraft, Neutral Bay, Cremorne, Willoughby, St Leonards and Artarmon. No travel problems so no one will go broke.

Great argument. Obviously Blacktown ratepayers cannot cross the border into Parramatta. Beats me how all those people manage to get into Auburn Council for the grand final - all the border guards at Strathfield and Concord must have been asleep, or cleaning their guns.

Lucky they compete without affecting anyone else, isnt it!
So Jarryd Hayne must be prepared to go to Siberia? Why cant he stay at his junior club you f*cking simpleton?

Welcome to the Sydney Premiership 1960.

Ok, we know you aint the full quid, but something tells me your grand plan falls down in the area where you reckon fans dont count. If that's the case then lets get a team in from Antarctica. The Mawson Frostbites would make the game national.

I await the response involving creative use of the words "redneck" and "Fishing"

You should step from under your nose . . . there's a world outside Parramatta

adamkungl

Immortal
In no particular order these teams deserve, and should be in this mooted comp:

Manly,
Newcastle,
Parramatta
North Sydney
Sydney City
Illawarra
Gold Coast
Balmain
Western Suburbs
St. George
South Sydney
South Queensland

:lol: yes.

But more seriously, If i was to make a Rugby League comp from scratch, I'd probably go with...

1 Brisbane
2 Townsville-Cairns
3 Gold Coast
4 Canberra
5 Melbourne
6 Perth
7 Sutherland Shire
8 Bankstown
9 Campbeltown
10 Parramatta
11 Penrith
12 Northern Beaches
13 Eastern Sydney
14 South Sydney
15 St George-Wollongong
16 Newcastle
17 North Sydney-Gosford-Wyong
18 Auckland
19 Ipswich
20 Christchurch

Von

Juniors
If we started from scratch again, you'd have 9/10 Sydney teams and only 1 Brisbane team?!!

Turn it up adam!

Assuming all clubs go bankrupt over night and the game re-sets.

1) Brisbane City
2) Brisbane West
3) Gold Coast
4) North Queensland
5) Sydney
6) West Sydney
7) South West Sydney
8) Northern Sydney/Central Coast
9) Southern Sydney/Wollongong
10) Newcastle
11) Canberra
12) Adelaide
13) Perth
14) Melbourne
15) Auckland
16) Wellington

Honestly, this is the best model so far it has the perfect balance of teams in and outside NSW it is a transnational competition and if forsaken reason the NRL had to reset ala A-League this model should be the blue-print. It also leaves for expanison for possible sides in the future eg Sunshine Coast, Central QLD. Overall, it's a flexible model that cover all bases while having the potential to add new areas also to complement the current model.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
Honestly, this is the best model so far it has the perfect balance of teams in and outside NSW it is a transnational competition and if forsaken reason the NRL had to reset ala A-League this model should be the blue-print. It also leaves for expanison for possible sides in the future eg Sunshine Coast, Central QLD. Overall, it's a flexible model that cover all bases while having the potential to add new areas also to complement the current model.

It's close but combining Northern sydney with the Central Coast is just plain dumb. Sure, it may make sense to combine NS with CC as it stands right now since it would only be the North Shore and they have to work with what's available but if we were starting from scratch it would only make sense to have Northern Sydney (North Shore and Northern Beaches) plus a Central Coast side. It makes about as much sense as combining the Eastern Suburbs with Penrith (in fact the travel time across Sydney is less than it is for many people to get from the Northern beaches to the CC).

Von

Juniors
The myth of too many Sydney teams is damaging nonsense.

Brisbane is a country town.

Too a point I agree.
One of the great things in the game now is the rivalry amongst Sydney clubs and fans. In fact, I love that. I am not suggesting we cull Sydney teams at all.

BUT, if we did start from scratch (and that won't happen...it's a hypothetical), I reckon we should have 4/5 Sydney teams and 3 Brisbane teams.

Haffa

It's close but combining Northern sydney with the Central Coast is just plain dumb. Sure, it may make sense to combine NS with CC as it stands right now since it would only be the North Shore and they have to work with what's available but if we were starting from scratch it would only make sense to have Northern Sydney (North Shore and Northern Beaches) plus a Central Coast side. It makes about as much sense as combining the Eastern Suburbs with Penrith (in fact the travel time across Sydney is less than it is for many people to get from the Northern beaches to the CC).

The only way a North Sydney/Central Coast team would work is if the NRL funded a bridge from Palm Beach to Umina and even then it would still be quicker to get to Penrith.

It's the same as saying why bother with a Brisbane west team why not just have the Gold Coast cover that area.

firechild

First Grade
The only way a North Sydney/Central Coast team would work is if the NRL funded a bridge from Palm Beach to Umina and even then it would still be quicker to get to Penrith.

It's the same as saying why bother with a Brisbane west team why not just have the Gold Coast cover that area.

Exactly. While I'd prefer to see a standalone Illawarra side as well, at least the area is accessible from Southern Sydney in relatively short time. The geography of Northern Sydney and the Central Coast makes a union between the 2 areas illogical. Where I used to live on the Northern Beaches, it was much quicker for me to drive to Liverpool than to Gosford.

POPEYE

Coach
Any of the selections put forward by you folk would be acceptable as long as each one could meet the financial requirements.

That would mean any future common sense salary cap plus provision for unforseen circumstances such as exceptional coaches becoming available.

Only a knucklehead like Loudymouth would realise accepting a struggling club means disaster, even if it were 'one of the boys'

Like I said before, location only comes into the equation if the financial side of it is guaranteed

Loudstrat

Coach
Which club cannot currently meet the salary cap you geriatric knobjockey?

Which current club is steering the NRL to 'disaster'?

How the f*ck do you assess a clubs's financial operating balance sheet BEFORE they start?

How do you account for the failure of Adelaide and the continued existance of Cronulla?

azza29

Juniors
18 team comp, draw is 3 x 6 conferences of teams, each team plays the 5 teams in their conference twice and the 12 other teams once (alternating home/away each year) for a 22 round season. Final 8 system as per usual. Sacrifice some Sydney teams to make it a truly international comp.

4 Sydney teams - North, South, East, West
2 NSW teams - Central Coast, Newcastle
2 NZ teams - Auckland, Wellington
3 SEQ teams - Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich
Canberra
Melbourne
North QLD
Perth
Adelaide
PNG
Pacific - Samoa/Fiji/Tonga/Cook Islands

Loudstrat

Coach
Too a point I agree.
One of the great things in the game now is the rivalry amongst Sydney clubs and fans. In fact, I love that. I am not suggesting we cull Sydney teams at all.

BUT, if we did start from scratch (and that won't happen...it's a hypothetical), I reckon we should have 4/5 Sydney teams and 3 Brisbane teams.

Where would the three Brisbane teams play?

siv

First Grade
Souths
Wests
Norths
Easts
Balmain
Glebe
Anandale
St George
Canterbury
Sydney Uni
Cumberland
Manly

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Short answer is you'd have a competition without any passion or heart. Look at the A league, NBL and Big bash league. Manufacturered teams with manufacturered rivalries. It would take years even decades to build up that again.

Good point a slight modification from NAS's model should go like this.
16. North Sydney
17. Central Coast
18. Additional QLD side wherever eg Sunshine Coast.

The model overall still holds up after this slight change.

azza29

Juniors
Short answer is you'd have a competition without any passion or heart. Look at the A league, NBL and Big bash league. Manufacturered teams with manufacturered rivalries. It would take years even decades to build up that again.

Go to a Melbourne Victory game and then tell me the comp lacks passion.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why all the love for Adelaide??? I mean lets face it it's a shithole that is shrinking. They can barely sustain two Fumbleball teams let alone a RL team. No problems with Perth but everytime Faps over Adelaide as a possible location for expansion over a Sydney team it does my head in. I mean haven't we learned for Super League FFS!!