What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If we started the NRL from scratch, what teams would we have?

Von

Juniors
I dont live in Parramatta :roll:

Von - How silly is it to have 2-3 Sydney teams - and teams from Adelaide, Hobart and f*cking Geelong?

Loudy, is that a question or statement to me?

I agree only 2/3 Sydney teams with an Adelaide team and Geelong team is nuts.
But I never advocated that. I think you have the wrong person??

whall15

Coach
22 team competition

North Queensland - Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville (26,500)
Sunshine Coast - expanded Stockland Park, Kawana Waters (~12,000)
North Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (52,500)
Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (52,500)
Logan - New Venue - Logan (~25,000)
Gold Coast - Skilled Park - Robina (27,400)
Newcastle - Ausgrid Stadium - Newcastle (33,000)
Central Coast - Bluetongue Stadium - Gosford (20,119)
North Sydney - Renovated North Sydney Oval (20,000)
Sydney - Sydney Football Stadium - Moore Park (45,500)
Parramatta - Expanded Parramatta Stadium (35,000)
Liverpool - New Stadium - Liverpool (~40,000)
South Sydney - Expanded Kogarah Oval (25-30,000)
Illawarra - Expanded WIN Stadium (25-30,000)
Canberra - New Canberra Stadium (40,000)
Melbourne - AAMI Park (33,000)
Adelaide - Hindmarsh Stadium (17,000)
Perth - nib Stadium (20,500)
Wellington - Westpac Stadium (36,000)
Auckland - Mt. Smart Stadium (30,000)
Christchurch - AMI Stadium (38,000)
PNG - No idea

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Sydney
Northern Sydney
Western Sydney
Illawarra/Wollongong
Newcastle
Gold Coast
Brisbane
North Brisbane
Ipswich
Central Queensland
Northern Queensland
Canberra
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Wellington
Auckland
PNG

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Heres my take on the thread

6 x Sydney metro- penrith-mountains, inner city-east, southern, parra-blacktown area, south west, north shore/beaches.
1 X Illawara
1 x Newcastle
1 x Central Coast
1 x newcastle
1 x gold coast
2 x brisbane-
1 x NQ
1 x melbourne
1 x perth
1 x auckland
1 x chirstchurch
1 x wellington
1 x PNG

Loudstrat

Coach
Drop PNG and your second Newcastle side and you are on a winner!

Loudy, is that a question or statement to me?

I agree only 2/3 Sydney teams with an Adelaide team and Geelong team is nuts.
But I never advocated that. I think you have the wrong person??
My Bad - dont know why I mentioned you! Sorry!

Last edited:

seaeagle sam

Kaching - winner!

This would be an awesome comp. I notice the distinct lack of districts that would lack the loyalty that the game needs. Also no districts that would spend crazily and break rules to win a comp. No rioters and looters. Two Queensland clubs too!

Nothing but integrity here. Well done Sam!

Thanks Loudy. When I compiled the list, from thin air, I actually thought you might appreciate the purity of it.

Still think it would be a popular comp, even now. No Cam Smith for starters.

Von

Juniors
Heres my take on the thread

6 x Sydney metro- penrith-mountains, inner city-east, southern, parra-blacktown area, south west, north shore/beaches.
1 X Illawara
1 x Newcastle
1 x Central Coast
1 x newcastle
1 x gold coast
2 x brisbane-
1 x NQ
1 x melbourne
1 x perth
1 x auckland
1 x chirstchurch
1 x wellington
1 x PNG

Get rid off 1 Newcastle, and add Canberra.

lturner

Juniors
2 conferences:

Northern Conference

Fortitude Valley
Brisbane Norths
Brisbane Souths
Brisbane Easts
Brisbane Wests
Redcliffe
Wynnum-Manly
Brothers

Southern Conference:

North Sydney
South Sydney
Easts
Wests
Balmain
Parramatta
Manly-Warringah
Canterbury-Bankstown
St George
Cronulla-Sutherland
Newtown
Penrith

betcats

Referee
I know Geelong has no interest. I know a few of those places I mentioned aren't reasonable. But this was a hypothetical thread asking what kind of idealistic league we'd like to see. I approached it with league being the dominant sport in Australasia...and that 20 team league takes every pop centre over 120,000 people in Aus and NZ. That was my whole angle.

Just to add re Geelong. It may be smaller population, but the AFL club still pulls 25,000 at their ground in Geelong. Then consider all the SL teams with similar pops who have viable clubs. Id say 100k is a cut off point...certainly not for a strong team, but a viable one. 150k+ is ideal.

Yeah! I honesty think it would work! :roll: I mean, why have a 3rd Sydney team when we can have the might of Hobart? :roll: If the point of this thread was to realistically predict who'd be in the comp in 2014, I'd have just give you a list of the 16 current clubs.

Yeah, its definitely flawed. You got the gist of my list - egalitarian for a dominant code AUs + NZ wide. Never gonna happen of course, but nice to dream.

Whats the point of doing unrealistically?? I know the whole situation is hypothetical but its not hard to pick dots on the map for a 'national' comp if league was dominant all over the country, and even still you've given f**k all thought to how populated the areas are, you've just tried to put dots all over the map.

POPEYE

Coach
Which club cannot currently meet the salary cap you geriatric knobjockey?

Which current club is steering the NRL to 'disaster'?

How the f*ck do you assess a clubs's financial operating balance sheet BEFORE they start?

How do you account for the failure of Adelaide and the continued existance of Cronulla?

Dipshit . . . sure you don't want to rewrite those questions.

Any club that can't guarantee it won't be funded in five years time when the cap might be realistic enough to pay players properly is a threat to the game.

The second question is too laughable to answer.

I don't have to account for anything in the past. The thread is about future clubs from scratch.

Read threads and post carefully before you put your words in my mouth . . . the taste of effluent is not rewarding

Loudstrat

Coach
Here we go - it's dribble time in the dementia ward and Pops is wondering when the tram to Bondi is coming.

Originally Posted by Loudstrat
Which club cannot currently meet the salary cap you geriatric knobjockey?

Reply by POPS
Any club that can't guarantee it won't be funded in five years time when the cap might be realistic enough to pay players properly is a threat to the game.
Double negative - meaning that any club that CAN guarantee it WILL be funded is a threat to the game............
Which current club is steering the NRL to 'disaster'?
Reply by POPS
The second question is too laughable to answer.
Or you are too stupid to answer. Name one you stupid old foreskin chewer or stop dribbling on.

How the f*ck do you assess a clubs's financial operating balance sheet BEFORE they start?
Reply by POPS
Well at least you didnt embarrass yourself with a brainless answer
How do you account for the failure of Adelaide and the continued existance of Cronulla?
Reply by POPS
I don't have to account for anything in the past. The thread is about future clubs from scratch.
And why are we discussing starting the comp from scratch? You sure it has nothing to do with what happened in the past?

Thank you again for admitting, in a slow, painful and geriatric way, that you have no f*cking idea. You cannot even answer questions to back your theories up. In fact, you cant even answer a question!

Are you sure your father didnt sit on a lead chair before you were born?

Read threads and post carefully before you put your words in my mouth . . . the taste of effluent is not rewarding
Then stop chewing your own turds!!!!!!!!!!!

firechild

First Grade
Double negative - meaning that any club that CAN guarantee it WILL be funded is a threat to the game............

Sorry Loudy but as much as I hate to defend the geriatric old dribbler, can't guarantee they won't =/= can guarantee they will.

For example, If a club can't guarantee they won't win the wooden spoon, they absolutely cannot guarantee they will.

POPEYE

Coach
Here we go - it's dribble time in the dementia ward and Pops is wondering when the tram to Bondi is coming.

Or you are too stupid to answer. Name one you stupid old foreskin chewer or stop dribbling on.

Well at least you didnt embarrass yourself with a brainless answer

And why are we discussing starting the comp from scratch? You sure it has nothing to do with what happened in the past?

Thank you again for admitting, in a slow, painful and geriatric way, that you have no f*cking idea. You cannot even answer questions to back your theories up. In fact, you cant even answer a question!

Are you sure your father didnt sit on a lead chair before you were born?

Then stop chewing your own turds!!!!!!!!!!!

Think before you speak . . . and for f**k sake don't compound idiocracy by using name calling as a backup.

It takes more than that to stop a bloke from jumping the bar.

By the way you want me to say any club that can guarantee it won't be funded

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Sorry Loudy but as much as I hate to defend the geriatric old dribbler, can't guarantee they won't =/= can guarantee they will.

For example, If a club can't guarantee they won't win the wooden spoon, they absolutely cannot guarantee they will.
Yeah ok - but trying to work him out is like trying to interpret a Nostradamus quatrain.