What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If we started the NRL from scratch, what teams would we have?

firechild

First Grade
How have you managed to survive the last 100 years without getting yourself killed Popeye? You make grandpa Simpson seem like a completely coherent contributing member of society.

firechild

First Grade
Simple organisms can be quite long lived, Firey.

Quite true but natural selection usually assists by knocking off the weaker individuals. You just have to hope that Popeye didn't have kids so that the next generation are not subjected to the same foolish, incoherent rants.

docbrown

Coach
2 conferences:

Northern Conference

Fortitude Valley
Brisbane Norths
Brisbane Souths
Brisbane Easts
Brisbane Wests
Redcliffe
Wynnum-Manly
Brothers

Southern Conference:

North Sydney
South Sydney
Easts
Wests
Balmain
Parramatta
Manly-Warringah
Canterbury-Bankstown
St George
Cronulla-Sutherland
Newtown
Penrith

It's kind of a shame that they never entertained a conference system for the QRL & NSWRL. Someone with vision should have capitalised on the success of the late 60s.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Go to a Melbourne Victory game and then tell me the comp lacks passion.

Different situation. There has been a Melbourne team for a long time. But imagine an NRL team in Alice Springs or Hobart. Maybe an A-League team in Dubbo. I still say these teams have no real soul and BTW how long has the Melbourne Victory been in the A-League?

POPEYE

Coach
The thread is pie in sky so here's my contribution:

Sydney
Cumberland
North Coast NSW
South Coast NSW
South West NSW
Central West NSW (west of the mountains)
Canberra
Newcastle
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Sunshine Coast
Nth Queensland
Melbourne
Perth

Call them what you want and they play each other twice.

Remember that players who make these teams must be prepared to go anywhere during their ten or so year professional career and get paid appropriately

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
let this thread be a testament as to why none of you are working for the NRL

You can't build a house from the roof down without any foundations and expect it to be stable.

Dumbest thread yet.

Loudstrat

Coach
Good one pops. Two Sydney clubs representing 2.5 million and one in Nyngan representing 300 blowflies and a goat!

You had better explain why you want all those players living in mobile homes too. You hate one club loyal players?

And I agree Madunit. Lots of whinging about Gallop here, but he hasnt yet pushed for a side in Geelong, Hobart or f*cking Nyngan :lol:

POPEYE

Coach
Good one pops. Two Sydney clubs representing 2.5 million and one in Nyngan representing 300 blowflies and a goat!

You had better explain why you want all those players living in mobile homes too. You hate one club loyal players?

And I agree Madunit. Lots of whinging about Gallop here, but he hasnt yet pushed for a side in Geelong, Hobart or f*cking Nyngan :lol:

You seem to ignore how many players in Sydney aren't actually born there.

It matters not anyway because each team is allowed the same number of players . . . where they were born has no consequence.

Dubbo would have no more trouble filling seats that the Roosters or Parramatta if they were the only team in the whole central west.

More than enough players in Australia to fill 14 big money teams and who pays the bills is the least of a player's worries . . . keeping his spot is what counts

innsaneink

Referee
Fans pops....not players.
Its where the fans are born & live, those fans and their $$$$ that keep the game going

POPEYE

Coach
Fans pops....not players.
Its where the fans are born & live, those fans and their $$$$ that keep the game going

Dearie me. So if you don't live next to the clubhouse you can't follow a team.

There are a hundred times Rooster fans Australia wide than you can scratch up in Bondi.

Same goes for Rabbitohs in Redfern. Many more Eels than in Parramatta.

Even the Broncos could triple their fan numbers outside Brisbane.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
In tribute to pops let's name the side after him. A few suggestions:

Dubbo Dinosaurs.
Dubbo Dopes.
Dubbo Dementia riddled D@*kheads.

innsaneink

Referee
Dearie me. So if you don't live next to the clubhouse you can't follow a team.

There are a hundred times Rooster fans Australia wide than you can scratch up in Bondi.

Same goes for Rabbitohs in Redfern. Many more Eels than in Parramatta.

Even the Broncos could triple their fan numbers outside Brisbane.
Is this f**kwit for real??????

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Seeing as everyone else is having a crack at this:

Sydney City/Eastern Suburbs/inner South (basically everything north of the Airport, south of the harbour and east of Ashfield)
Southwest Sydney/Cambelltown/Southern Highlands
Southern Sydney
Shire/Illawarra
West/Northwest Sydney
North Sydney/Beaches/CC
Newcastle/Hunter
Canberra
Brisbane North/Sunshine Coast
Brisbane
Brisbane West/Ipswich
North Qld
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Auckland
NZ Southern (home games split Wellington/Chch)

So far you've got 16 teams, all of which would have ample supporter bases. Sydney gets 5 sides, which would split the population base fairly evenly.
The CC is a bit dudded by this arrangement I'll admit, but if they're jammed between a Northern Sydney side and Newcastle they'll end up like the Sharks are now.

Expansion efforts can be directed from there- WA is probably obvious, Adelaide if it could be made viable.

Funds can them be directed at expansion into Perth and Adelaide

Stewie

Juniors
this has a nice ring to it.

Brisbane Broncos
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Canberra Raiders
North Queensland Cowboys
Gold Coast Titans
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle knights
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Illawarra Dragons
Sydney City Roosters
Aukland Warriors
Wests Tigers

This would be an awesome competition with the teams I have listed above. Dont forget it's the teams above that have created the interest in Rugby league that will pave the way for expansion. Will be even better to push it from 16 to 20 with 4 New teams all coming into the comp in 2014-2015 but announced at the end of this season to give them plenty of time to get everything in place. heres my 4 teams to round out the 20 in no particular order.

South Island New Zealand
Perth Reds
Central Qld
Central Coast Bears

Last edited: