What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If we started the NRL from scratch, what teams would we have?

Agree. These threads bring out f*cking idiotic ideas. Tell ya what - it would make a super club that would dwarf all others. And the gimp plonked in Adelaide too :lol: They would never get within 100 of a combined Eels/Dogs!

Assuming the new league started without a salary cap.

Again, its a hypothetical thread. I think the main rationale for most peoples thinking is expansion rather than preservation. If there was any drastic reshuffle like any of these options the game would loose fans including myself. No one wants to see the league become a super commercial whore.

Bear in mind the Rams averaged 10,000 odd people over their 2 seasons despite being quite shit. Bout the same as the Reds average now and much higher than any other 'secondary sport' in 1997-8.

No need to be a merkin about it ... merkin

WAPAU

Juniors
Just f**k parra off and replace them with a dot on the map expansion team. Greater Alice Springs Scorpions is my preferred option; they just nudge out the central coast for all the same reasons Bris2 and WA do.

It will solve all of leagues problems and I wont have to look at Haynes ugly mug on tv, or put up with feral parra supporters on Internet forums. Biggest merkins in rugby league.

Just f**k parra off and replace them with a dot on the map expansion team. Greater Alice Springs Scorpions is my preferred option; they just nudge out the central coast for all the same reasons Bris2 and WA do.

It will solve all of leagues problems and I wont have to look at Haynes ugly mug on tv, or put up with feral parra supporters on Internet forums. Biggest merkins in rugby league.

Cheers Keith :)

Loudstrat

Coach
Assuming the new league started without a salary cap.

Again, its a hypothetical thread. I think the main rationale for most peoples thinking is expansion rather than preservation. If there was any drastic reshuffle like any of these options the game would loose fans including myself. No one wants to see the league become a super commercial whore.

Bear in mind the Rams averaged 10,000 odd people over their 2 seasons despite being quite shit. Bout the same as the Reds average now and much higher than any other 'secondary sport' in 1997-8.

No need to be a merkin about it ... merkin
Whinge all you like, but if you reckon a team that once averaged 10k and cant attract even that amount to games since is so precious that Parra and Canterbury have to merge to be in the same comp you are clearly a few tugs short of a full orgasm.

Have a think about it before you start wishing that clubs died just because they are on Sydney you gimp.

If Hayne played Yawnion you wouldn t see him on FTA either. Solving all of Leagues problems - how about someone start a website for geniused Yawnion corgi molesters like yourself so you can f*ck off and leave the elite 98% of society to discuss Rugby League in peace, without you bunch of sheepshagging Yawnion spastics annoying us!

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
20 Team Comp

1. Sydney
2. Sydney 2
3. Brisbane
4. Brisbane 2
5. Melbourne
6. Melbourne 2
7. Adelaide
8. Perth
9. Canberra
10. Wollongong
11. Central Coast
12. Newcastle
13. Gold Coast
14. Auckland
15. Wellington
16. Christchurch
17. Sunshine Coast
18. Townsville
19. Hobart
20. Geelong

About as national (+all big Kiwi markets) as it gets.

You honestly think that comp could work in 2014? Hobart ffs :crazy:

bobmar28

Bench
If we were to re-fresh the comp had had some govt $$ for stadium builds and upgrades (all stadia all seaters except WIN)

1. Sydney City Roosters - SFS, 45k
2. Kogarah Dragons - Win Jubilee (upgrade), 30k
3. Liverpool Bulldogs - New Stadium, 35k
4. Campbelltown City Tigers - Campbelltown Stadium (upgrade), 30k
5. Parramatta Eels - Parra Stadium (upgrade), 30k
6. Penrith Panthers - Centrebet Stadium (upgrade), 25k
7. Chatswood Sea-Eagles - New stadium, 25k
8. Woolongong Steelers - Win Stadium (upgrade), 25k
9. Newcastle Knights - Ausgrid Stadium, 33k
10. Canberra Raiders - Canberra Stadium, 25k
11. Melbourne Storm - Aami Park, 30k
12. Adelaide Sharks - Hindmarsh Stadium (upgrade), 20k
13. Perth Rabbitohs - NIB Stadium, 25k
14. Nth Qld Cowboys - New Stadium, 30k
15. Brisbane Broncos - Suncorp Stadium, 52k
16. Ipswich Jets - New Stadium, 30k
17. Gold Coast Titans - Skilled Park, 27k
18. NZ Warriors - Mt Smart, 26k

Bulldogs were meant to build a leagues club and 40k all seater stadium in Liverpool in 2000 but the whole deal fell over. Would be nice to have that stadium now.

bobmar28

Bench
1 East Coast Sharks -Roosters/Sharks
2 Parramatta Panthers - Eels/Panthers
3 South Sydney Dragons - Rabbitohs/Dragons
4 Southwest Tigers - Bulldogs/Tigers
5 Illawarra Steelers
6 CC Northern Eagles
7 Canberra Raiders
8 Brisbane Broncos
9 Western Corridor Jets
10 Gold Coast Titans
11 NQ Cowboys
12 Sunshine Coast Dolphins
13 Melbourne Storm
14 Aukland Warriors
15 Wellington Orcas
16 WA Reds
17 PNG Kumuls
18 Adelaide Rams

Goddo

Bench
20 Team Comp

1. Sydney
2. Sydney 2
3. Brisbane
4. Brisbane 2
5. Melbourne
6. Melbourne 2
7. Adelaide
8. Perth
9. Canberra
10. Wollongong
11. Central Coast
12. Newcastle
13. Gold Coast
14. Auckland
15. Wellington
16. Christchurch
17. Sunshine Coast
18. Townsville
19. Hobart
20. Geelong

About as national (+all big Kiwi markets) as it gets.
Thats probably the ideal structure for a dominant code in Australia

(I'd have more teams in Melbourne and Sydney though, 4 in Melbourne and make the Illawarra and CC clubs tap into the fringes of Sydney, and add a 3rd Sydney proper club).

But the actual market for individual sports isn't strong enough. A League is probably the only sport that can persue that, but interest isn't strong enough to grow beyond a 10-12 club comp. Its tollerated but not loved.

EDIT: if you used your yard stick to guage sports, it would be

NRL: 10/20 - maybe 11/20 if you consider token presence in CC and lots of clubs near by in Sydney,
AFL: 9/20, with token presence in Tassie and Canberra 11/20,
A League: 10/20 but struggling, not strong clubs
Super Rugby: 8/20 but zero growth prospects
Twenty20: 8/20 - good spread but small

Last edited:
Whinge all you like, but if you reckon a team that once averaged 10k and cant attract even that amount to games since is so precious that Parra and Canterbury have to merge to be in the same comp you are clearly a few tugs short of a full orgasm.

Have a think about it before you start wishing that clubs died just because they are on Sydney you gimp.

:roll:

I'm not sure you read posts you're responding to. I actually said if there was any restructure or rationalisation of the Sydney market then I would be lost to the game.

Did you cry when ET had to go home? You know it wasn't real right?

Ok this is my list:

Auckland
Wellington
Central North Island (repping the peeps between auck and welly)
South Island
West Sydney 1
West Sydney 2
North Sydney
South Sydney/Illawarra
East Sydney
Brisbane 1
Brisbane 2
Central QLD
Gold Coast
Sunshine Coast
North QLD
Newcastle
Melbourne
Perth
PNG (Players living and training in Cairns perhaps)
Canberra
Central Coast
Adelaide

POPEYE

Coach
If you want to step out of the dark ages and consider League to be a fully professional game you will have to admit that the density of population means nothing.

The main agenda for clubs is to aquire players that can make their team competitive. It matters not where they come from.

Bums on seats are nothing compared to television audiences. The real prerequisite is that a club must be able to fund a competitive team.

If you look at the list of local government areas by population in Australia with Brisbane at the top and Blacktown in 5th place way above Parramatta and Penrith
you will see that choosing a team to represent a suburb is archaic.

If by hook or crook the Roosters can afford a competitive team so be it. If Cronulla cannot realistically compete without affecting other clubs they should go.

Juniors mean nothing because all clubs can buy from anywhere and all players hoping to be professionals must be prepared to go anywhere.

So, in a sixteen team competition the top twenty applicants able to support a team should be considered.

Only if the bids are close should location become a governing factor

LESStar58

Referee
Assume the NRL was starting all over again and a new competition was being born in 2014.
In the same way the A-League was started from scratch from the old NSL days.
No old teams, no old affiliations, no mergers, no hidden agendas.

How many teams would we have?
What teams would we have?
What cities could sustain multiple teams?

Please just state your number and teams. No existing teams or mergers, and no talk about what current teams should go or merge. Remember these will all be new franchises.
In the fantasy world, all franchises must meet certain targets or risk being cut for other clubs waiting in the wings.

My view...
An 18 team comp, including
3 Brisbane teams, 5 Queensland teams,
4 Sydney teams, 7 NSW teams,
2 NZ teams.

1. North Queensland team (Cairns/Townsville)
2. Brisbane City
3. Brisbane South/Logan
4. Brisbane West/Ipswich
5. Gold Coast
6. Newcastle/Hunter
7. Central Coast
8. Northern Sydney
9. Sydney City
10. Southern Sydney
11. Western Sydney
12. Illawarra
13. Canberra
14. Melbourne
15. Adelaide
16. Perth
17. NZ North
18. NZ South

Waiting in the wings:
A Darwin/NT franchise
PNG
Central Qld

They had the right idea in 1993-95 when there was 20 team competition. Sure, teams would eventually have merged or perhaps died but of course News had to speed up the process.

I often think that if SL had never happened the teams in 1995 would still have remained but new teams (like Melbourne) would have been admitted as teams merged or died.. or relocated. I recall the NSWRL trying to get Balmain relocated to Melbourne at one stage.

beave

Coach
god, imagine the confusion.

announcer "here comes your Melbourne Tiiiiiiiiiiigers!!!!!!'

Victorian 'aaaaaaaaah, where's Andrew Gaze??'

VictoryFC

Bench
That's craaazy Victory!

Geelong...small pop....no interest.
Hobart, the same.

Only 2 Sydney teams?

But everyone is entitled to their opinionl

I know Geelong has no interest. I know a few of those places I mentioned aren't reasonable. But this was a hypothetical thread asking what kind of idealistic league we'd like to see. I approached it with league being the dominant sport in Australasia...and that 20 team league takes every pop centre over 120,000 people in Aus and NZ. That was my whole angle.

Just to add re Geelong. It may be smaller population, but the AFL club still pulls 25,000 at their ground in Geelong. Then consider all the SL teams with similar pops who have viable clubs. Id say 100k is a cut off point...certainly not for a strong team, but a viable one. 150k+ is ideal.

You honestly think that comp could work in 2014? Hobart ffs :crazy:

Yeah! I honesty think it would work! :roll: I mean, why have a 3rd Sydney team when we can have the might of Hobart? :roll: If the point of this thread was to realistically predict who'd be in the comp in 2014, I'd have just give you a list of the 16 current clubs.

Thats probably the ideal structure for a dominant code in Australia

(I'd have more teams in Melbourne and Sydney though, 4 in Melbourne and make the Illawarra and CC clubs tap into the fringes of Sydney, and add a 3rd Sydney proper club).

But the actual market for individual sports isn't strong enough. A League is probably the only sport that can persue that, but interest isn't strong enough to grow beyond a 10-12 club comp. Its tollerated but not loved.

EDIT: if you used your yard stick to guage sports, it would be

NRL: 10/20 - maybe 11/20 if you consider token presence in CC and lots of clubs near by in Sydney,
AFL: 9/20, with token presence in Tassie and Canberra 11/20,
A League: 10/20 but struggling, not strong clubs
Super Rugby: 8/20 but zero growth prospects
Twenty20: 8/20 - good spread but small

Yeah, its definitely flawed. You got the gist of my list - egalitarian for a dominant code AUs + NZ wide. Never gonna happen of course, but nice to dream.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
If you want to step out of the dark ages and consider League to be a fully professional game you will have to admit that the density of population means nothing.
This will be interesting........
The main agenda for clubs is to aquire players that can make their team competitive. It matters not where they come from.

Bums on seats are nothing compared to television audiences. The real prerequisite is that a club must be able to fund a competitive team.
Cool. Lets play all teams at North Sydney Oval, closest ground to Channel 9 studios. The teams can be Kiribilli, North Sydney, Blues Point, Crows Nest, Wollstonecraft, Neutral Bay, Cremorne, Willoughby, St Leonards and Artarmon. No travel problems so no one will go broke.

If you look at the list of local government areas by population in Australia with Brisbane at the top and Blacktown in 5th place way above Parramatta and Penrith
you will see that choosing a team to represent a suburb is archaic.
Great argument. Obviously Blacktown ratepayers cannot cross the border into Parramatta. Beats me how all those people manage to get into Auburn Council for the grand final - all the border guards at Strathfield and Concord must have been asleep, or cleaning their guns.

If by hook or crook the Roosters can afford a competitive team so be it. If Cronulla cannot realistically compete without affecting other clubs they should go.
Lucky they compete without affecting anyone else, isnt it!
Juniors mean nothing because all clubs can buy from anywhere and all players hoping to be professionals must be prepared to go anywhere.
So Jarryd Hayne must be prepared to go to Siberia? Why cant he stay at his junior club you f*cking simpleton?

So, in a sixteen team competition the top twenty applicants able to support a team should be considered.
Welcome to the Sydney Premiership 1960.
Only if the bids are close should location become a governing factor
Ok, we know you aint the full quid, but something tells me your grand plan falls down in the area where you reckon fans dont count. If that's the case then lets get a team in from Antarctica. The Mawson Frostbites would make the game national.

I await the response involving creative use of the words "redneck" and "Fishing"

Lambretta

First Grade
Eureka Streakers - based in Ballarat and play in nude coloured body stockings
Sydney Shitty Skidmarks - A nice brown stripe on their kit - based at Redfern
Woollongong Wombats - A team for all the people with huge fat arses to associate themelves
Rockhampton Rockspiders - Yellow anokraks for the home fans - bottles and stones for the away fans to throw at them
Parramatta Pooh Pushers - Free condoms on entry - Uniform pink
Sydney Sikf**ks - Biker patches mandatory - Based out of Homebush
Melbourne Muppets - Kermit Green (home) & Miss Piggy Pink (away)
New Zealand Zoolanders - Braith Anasta their only player
Hunter Goonbags - Sponsored by Draytons - Colour, vomit yellow with orange squares
South West Slammers - Based at Campelltown and more affectionately known as the tequila slammers. Colour white, with a dash of lime
Perth Pensioners - strictly for those that have given up on life - Colours - not as good as they were in my day
Adelaide Arsonists - Colours Smoke Grey with a red glow round in the centre.
Central Coast Centrelinks - Colours white, skin tight with visable panty lines and plenty of arsecrack hanging out - and then we get to the blokes.
Brisbane Bollocks - Wrinkly shirts and hairy shorts
Oxley-Morons - Colour Pauline Hansons hair

seaeagle sam

In no particular order these teams deserve, and should be in this mooted comp:

Manly,
Newcastle,
Parramatta
North Sydney
Sydney City
Illawarra
Gold Coast
Balmain
Western Suburbs
St. George
South Sydney
South Queensland

Loudstrat

Coach
In no particular order these teams deserve, and should be in this mooted comp:

Manly,
Newcastle,
Parramatta
North Sydney
Sydney City
Illawarra
Gold Coast
Balmain
Western Suburbs
St. George
South Sydney
South Queensland

Kaching - winner!

This would be an awesome comp. I notice the distinct lack of districts that would lack the loyalty that the game needs. Also no districts that would spend crazily and break rules to win a comp. No rioters and looters. Two Queensland clubs too!

Nothing but integrity here. Well done Sam!

Mr Fourex

Bench
Assuming all clubs go bankrupt over night and the game re-sets.

1) Brisbane City
2) Brisbane West
3) Gold Coast
4) North Queensland
5) Sydney
6) West Sydney
7) South West Sydney
8) Northern Sydney/Central Coast
9) Southern Sydney/Wollongong
10) Newcastle
11) Canberra
12) Adelaide