What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you could add any five players to your squad, what would your 17 look like?

Johns Magic

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
Pity you didn't think before you posted.

Johns is 32, injury prone and while he's probably the best there ever was, he's got one year left in him and he's done. Soward is still only 21/22 and has shown form in first grade, a change of scenery may bring the best out in him. Then there's the fact that Johns may not compliment the team. Bumble picked Soward alongside Thurston who likes to control things by himself, and Soward is a very good runner/support player with a great kicking game, they'd compliment eachother well. Johns and Thurston would get in eachothers way most likely, just like Johns and Lockyer did in the test last year.

But there's too much thinking there for you to come up with that. A Knights fan notices someone snubs Johns in any minor way and it's automatically "Where the f**k is Joey? He's the best in the world and the best of all time and much better than Lockyer or Wally Lewis for that matter!" Pretty sad really.

The fact that Soward has shown very little in his first-grade career to date means nothing apparently.

Complimenting Thurston's game? All Soward can do is kick and pass. He is a shocking defender, and he never takes the ball to the line. His running game is non-existent. Nice work.

I figured that if he was going for youth and complimenting styles he would've picked the likes of Sutton, Marshall or Matt Head. Heck even Tim Smith is better than Soward. Who would pick Soward over those guys?

Balmain_Boy

Why don't you let it rest mate? It's a hypothetical. Everyone had been posting their 5 players and noone had had a whinge about other people's selections. Someone dares to choose another half back over Johns and you the lone crusader must comes to his defence. It's f**king tired already.

aqua_duck

Coach
souths already got one turnstyle PL halfback (joe williams), why do they need another (soward). If Tim Smith isn't light years ahead of Soward I give up.

Bumble

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
souths already got one turnstyle PL halfback (joe williams), why do they need another (soward). If Tim Smith isn't light years ahead of Soward I give up.

Tim Smith is like Matt Orford.

Jamie Soward is like a halfback who can...wait for it, win you football games, not just get a bigger lead from the front...2004 JF Grand Final anyone?

Johns Magic

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Why don't you let it rest mate? It's a hypothetical. Everyone had been posting their 5 players and noone had had a whinge about other people's selections. Someone dares to choose another half back over Johns and you the lone crusader must comes to his defence. It's f**king tired already.

Have a read over the thread you dickhead.

Plenty of selections have been questioned. I questioned one and had a go at justifying why I wouldn't choose Soward, and I get abused.

I think Parradude_Jay must still be pissed off about Round 1 or something, because it was completely unprovoked.

Johns Magic

Referee
Bumble said:
Tim Smith is like Matt Orford.

Jamie Soward is like a halfback who can...wait for it, win you football games, not just get a bigger lead from the front...2004 JF Grand Final anyone?

Someone pick Brett Finch, he killed it in the juniors!

aqua_duck

Coach
Did you see the Roosters JF team that year? I could've played 5/8th for that team and they would've done well

lockyno1

Post Whore
aqua_duck said:
Did you see the Roosters JF team that year? I could've played 5/8th for that team and they would've done well

Even Matt Dunning would have looked good at 5/8th that year!:lol:

Bumble

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
Someone pick Brett Finch, he killed it in the juniors!

Yes but unlike Soward, Finch now sucks. I have NFI why Finch is in over Soward every week, but he is even though everyone (including you and Brett Finch I daresay) knows he is a better player than Finch.

aqua_duck said:

Could you have kicked a 45m field goal under intense pressure in extra time. I doubt it very highly. That's gamewinners stuff, that Tim Smith doesn't have.

:lol::lol::lol: at the Inbreds fans turning every thread into a Johns love-fest.

aqua_duck

Coach
Bumble said:
Yes but unlike Soward, Finch now sucks. I have NFI why Finch is in over Soward every week, but he is even though everyone (including you and Brett Finch I daresay) knows he is a better player than Finch.

Could you have kicked a 45m field goal under intense pressure in extra time. I doubt it very highly. That's gamewinners stuff, that Tim Smith doesn't have.

:lol::lol::lol: at the Inbreds fans turning every thread into a Johns love-fest.
I hear Matt DUnning can kick drop goals and he couldn't be a worse defender than Soward. I just found Souths new halfback for 2007

Also remember Kurt Gidkley drop goal against broncos? Maybe he can be souths next halfback as well? Also an infinately better defender than soward.

Bumble

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
I hear Matt DUnning can kick drop goals and he couldn't be a worse defender than Soward. I just found Souths new halfback for 2007

Lol, I'll pay that one. But Lockyer is a crap defender, I don't hear anyone calling him rubbish..

Breadman

Juniors
So Johns Magic you've gone from whingeing about me picking Soward over Johns to me picking Soward over anyone else.
Why not just say straight up you thought Soward was a bad pick? Why mention Johns at all?
Have you got your head around the age argument yet?
I might add that I am not a Johns hater at all

aqua_duck

Coach
Bumble said:
Lol, I'll pay that one. But Lockyer is a crap defender, I don't hear anyone calling him rubbish..
thats true, you can also throw tim smith in that catagory but they unlike Soward have shown they can dominate a game in 1st grade, and have won MOTM awards unlike soward who's shown the odd moment then followed up with a missed tackle

Johns Magic

Referee
Breadman said:
So Johns Magic you've gone from whingeing about me picking Soward over Johns to me picking Soward over anyone else.
Why not just say straight up you thought Soward was a bad pick? Why mention Johns at all?
Have you got your head around the age argument yet?
I might add that I am not a Johns hater at all

Hardly "whinging". I just disagreed with you.

And OK then

"Soward is a bad pick."

Mr Saab

Referee
If i wanted 5 players for the immediate future, i would pick Johns as the Broncos halfback hands down (came close to being a bronco 2001).
If it was for the future, well, i am not sure...not too many young halfbacks have stood out. Maybe take M Head from the Dragons.

Johns Magic

Referee
Breadman said:
That's better and whats with the picture of Matt Sing in his hippy days

Oh, it was ages ago. A certain poster who had nfi.

And it's not Matt Sing....It's Jason Cayless :lol:

Latest posts