What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm new to rugby league

Roll Tide

Juniors
Hey guys, first post.

I have decided to start following the nrl, and so far I've been thorougly entertained. Rugby league is a completely new game to me, so there are some things about it that I don't quite understand. I'm going to attempt to explain my thoughts and ask questions to try and further my knowledge of the game. Some questions and comments may seem idiotic, so I'm sorry in advance. Thanks in advance for bearing with me. ;-)

I don't understand the consequences and assessments for penalties. It seems like sometimes the tackle count starts over. Other times the offended team advances a few yards with the tackle count starting over, and other times it looks like one player deliberately kicks the ball out of bounds and the team advances to that point with a fresh tackle count. Could someone please explain how penalties are assessed?

What happens after a 40/20 kick? How often does it occur? If the ball goes beyond the 20 meter line, is the opposing player allowed to return the kick or does he have to force it out of bounds and have the scrum take place at that point? I saw it for the first time in the Melbourne - Cronulla match. IIRC the ball bounced around in bounds and the Sharks player forced the ball out of bounds without an attempt to return the kick.

In a scrum, it seems like the team going against the feed doesn't put forth much effort to try and take ball. I read that this happened in the Souths - Bulldogs match. How often does it occur?

Are there any other common questions that I didn't ask in this post? I may find some other questions to ask the more I watch the game. Thanks for taking the time to look over this post. :)

macavity

Referee
got a team yet mate?

the Newcastle Knights are the only team worth following. best town, best ethos, best supporters... ;-)

there is a site somewhere that explains all that you ask. I will see if I can dig it up or get one of the old heads to post the url.

Roll Tide

Juniors
macavity said:
got a team yet mate?
I think I'll follow the Cronulla Sharks this year. I understand they lost some heartbreakers last year, but they are showing some promise with hard fought victories against the grand finalists. I've watched their first 2 games. It would be neat to be a part of their first premiership if/when it happens.

Best of luck to the Knights vs. the Eels!:thumb

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
good choice of team mate.

If you have an questions always feel free to ask.

And don't get put off by some of the bozo's on the site.

Most of all, POST AWAY!

macavity

Referee
Roll Tide said:
I think I'll follow the Cronulla Sharks this year.

no more help from me then.... :p

(you have picked close to the worst possible teams to follow. they have a terrible choking culture, their fans are drunken brain-dead hicks, and their ground is a swamp)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
as opposed to the knights fans who prefer to knit at games than cheer on their team, and their ground relies on port-a-loos for toilets.

all class

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Roll Tide said:
macavity said:
got a team yet mate?
I think I'll follow the Cronulla Sharks this year. I understand they lost some heartbreakers last year, but they are showing some promise with hard fought victories against the grand finalists. I've watched their first 2 games. It would be neat to be a part of their first premiership if/when it happens.

Best of luck to the Knights vs. the Eels!:thumb

DONT TORMENT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!
We have been in the competition going on 41 years and the only thing we ever won was the Amco cup. If you want to be a sharks supporter, you must have patience.....
But god help the nation when/if we do win the big one...drunken shark supporters everywhere.
Come and join us in the Sharks forum....

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
macavity said:
no more help from me then.... :p

(you have picked close to the worst possible teams to follow. they have a terrible choking culture, their fans are drunken brain-dead hicks, and their ground is a swamp)

Things could be worse........Brian Smith:D
And I take offence to brain dead hicks...my sister/mother says all 18 of us kids shared 36 brain cells between us.:sarcasm:

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
CobyDelaney said:
You mean the guy who's 2 from 2 with a team of apparent no-names?

You guys are in the same boat as us...2 games dont make a season. Lets hold this chat off till the semi's. Then one of us can eat our words....;-)

Hallatia

Referee
Qld-Sharkie said:
You guys are in the same boat as us...2 games dont make a season. Lets hold this chat off till the semi's. Then one of us can eat our words....;-)
one?
probably both of you

***MH***

Bench
Roll Tide said:
Hey guys, first post.

I have decided to start following the nrl, and so far I've been thorougly entertained.
Welcome, we're glad to have you aboard!

I don't understand the consequences and assessments for penalties. It seems like sometimes the tackle count starts over. Other times the offended team advances a few yards with the tackle count starting over, and other times it looks like one player deliberately kicks the ball out of bounds and the team advances to that point with a fresh tackle count. Could someone please explain how penalties are assessed?
A penalty is given where an act of misconduct or breach of the laws of the game has taken place. Such penalties include dangerous tackles, striking an opponent or offside play.

When a team is awarded a penalty, they have the following options.
  • Kick for goal
  • Tap Kick
  • Kick for touch
The position of the penalty is given at the place where the offence occured.

A kick for penalty goal is usually taken within kicking range and is worth 2 points. It can either be place kick or drop kicked.

A Tap Kick is usually taken close to the try line to set up for a scoring play. The ball is simply tapped with the foot and the ball is then in play.

The Kick for touch is an opportunity for the team awarded the penalty to gain territory. The team will kick the ball over the sideline and restart play 20 meters infield, inline from from where the ball crossed the sideline with a Tap Kick.

What happens after a 40/20 kick?
The team that kicks the ball in general play from behind their own 40 meter line and crosses over the sideline behind the oppositions 20 meter line will be awarded the Scrum feed.

For any other time the ball crosses the sideline, the non kicking team is awarded the Scrum feed.
How often does it occur?
It's rare, you might get one or two every weekend. It's quite a difficult task to achieve and not easy to pull off in the run of play.

If the ball goes beyond the 20 meter line, is the opposing player allowed to return the kick or does he have to force it out of bounds and have the scrum take place at that point? I saw it for the first time in the Melbourne - Cronulla match. IIRC the ball bounced around in bounds and the Sharks player forced the ball out of bounds without an attempt to return the kick.
The ball must go out of bounds to invoke the 40/20. If it simply crosses the 20 meter line and hasn't gotten out of bounds, the ball is still in play.

In a scrum, it seems like the team going against the feed doesn't put forth much effort to try and take ball. I read that this happened in the Souths - Bulldogs match. How often does it occur?
Before the turn of the century, scrums used to be a competition for possession of the ball. Teams would use their weight to force the opposition off the ball and get possesion back. These days, the scrum is basically used to take the bigger forwards out of play so that that smaller backs can have a run. The rules have changed to give the feeding team more advantage so that it can be fed easier. In the past, it must be fed directly in the centre of the tunnel. These days, the halfback feeding the scrum can feed it towards the direction of his team to get the ball out quicker. Teams can still push and compete for the ball, but the feeding advantage makes pushing useless and forwards these days use scrums for a quick rest in play.

Are there any other common questions that I didn't ask in this post? I may find some other questions to ask the more I watch the game. Thanks for taking the time to look over this post. :)
Feel free to ask more questions, there's plenty more answers where these came from. I hope you enjoy this weekends matches. You're most welcome!

MC DUI

Juniors
Top work with the answers MH! Very easy to read and understand, hopefully that helps out our new league friend.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Roll Tide said:
Hey guys, first post.

I have decided to start following the nrl, and so far I've been thorougly entertained. Rugby league is a completely new game to me, so there are some things about it that I don't quite understand. I'm going to attempt to explain my thoughts and ask questions to try and further my knowledge of the game. Some questions and comments may seem idiotic, so I'm sorry in advance. Thanks in advance for bearing with me. ;-)

What happens after a 40/20 kick? How often does it occur? If the ball goes beyond the 20 meter line, is the opposing player allowed to return the kick or does he have to force it out of bounds and have the scrum take place at that point? I saw it for the first time in the Melbourne - Cronulla match. IIRC the ball bounced around in bounds and the Sharks player forced the ball out of bounds without an attempt to return the kick.

congratulations on becomin an NRL fan!

Roll Tide

Juniors
***MH*** said:
Feel free to ask more questions, there's plenty more answers where these came from. I hope you enjoy this weekends matches. You're most welcome!

Much appreciated MH!

What happens when a player is tackled behind his team's try line? That almost happened to St. George against the Titans.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Roll Tide said:
Much appreciated MH!

What happens when a player is tackled behind his team's try line? That almost happened to St. George against the Titans.

They have to drop the ball out to the opposing team from under their own Goal posts. (Drop kick)

If the ball doesn't travel 10 metres or the ball goes over the sideline on the full, the receiving team gets a penalty in front of the posts, they can either kick for penalty goal or tap restart and go for a try.

Few questions, are you living out here or over in the US (just want to find out how you found RL)?

And could you see RL building a niche for itself in the States?

And welcome to the forum and the greatest game.

Roll Tide

Juniors
ParraEelsNRL said:
Few questions, are you living out here or over in the US (just want to find out how you found RL)?
I live in the US.

I found the nrl match replays on the bigpond video site and just started watching them. The video is downright unwatchable at times due to buffering, poor resolution, etc., but it's my only means of viewing the games. I'm just glad the NRL doesn't charge its fans for that horrible video service (like that other league ;-)).

ParraEelsNRL said:
And could you see RL building a niche for itself in the States?
I'm not the right person to answer that question, but I have my doubts.

ParraEelsNRL said:
And welcome to the forum and the greatest game.
Thanks!

BTW, does anyone know of a site where British RL can be watched free of charge?