What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

Dazzat

First Grade
And of course, if what you're alluding to about Barba is the other rumours that were going around, the media won't report it for the same reason that you won't say it on here.

That's because such misdemeanours are now considered someone's "private life", when in affect, devastates an entire team.

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Ben Teo has left the NRL to go overseas. Why? Because the media ran with an unconfirmed story that he was involved in a rape. Can you understand what a devastating affect that had on Teo's life?

Is that part of the deal the NRL has cut with the media as well?

No, I don't believe anywhere in the NRL's deal with Nine is a clause that says players have to perform like monkeys in front of the cameras.

The media also have an obligation to protect players. There are many people who are NOT good in front of a camera, not because they are bad people, but simply they are not comfortable in that position.

You believe you have a "right" to be "entertained" by interviews with players, and if your "right" is not satisfied then you instantly judge a player's character. Don't worry, this attitude is rife in the public now. That's why we get cookie-cutter interviews now where no player is game to say anything out of the ordinary because the media will then slice and dice the interview to a 10 second sound bite to make the player look as bad as possible.

A simple observation by a player is now paraded as "Joe Bloggs attacks ..." or whatever. This is why the "characters" are being forced into being just another "we'll just play each game at a time" puppets.

A) Boyd's attitude stems from him being charged by police with sexual assault which the papers ran with... Well before his personal stories of late. Are you saying the media shouldn't report on incidents of that kind?

Yes I think that as a fan, as a season member, as an avid NRL watcher, as someone who to this effect contributed to his salary; Boyd has an obligation to answer questions, not say "no comment" to every question he's given.

B) So you're acknowledging now that the media didn't "play ball" with Barba?
I'm pretty sure the reason is defamation anyways, not respecting his right to privacy.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
A) Boyd's attitude stems from him being charged by police with sexual assault which the papers ran with... Well before his personal stories of late. Are you saying the media shouldn't report on incidents of that kind?

Yes I think that as a fan, as a season member, as an avid NRL watcher, as someone who to this effect contributed to his salary; Boyd has an obligation to answer questions, not say "no comment" to every question he's given.

B) So you're acknowledging now that the media didn't "play ball" with Barba?
I'm pretty sure the reason is defamation anyways, not respecting his right to privacy.

Oh ... you poor petal. You've paid all that money (which would probably equate to around three cents a season) and you want Darius-Warius to talky walky to you through the camera. How dare Darius-Warius not talky walky with you. Oh ... how can you take such abuse?

Bronco18

Juniors
When did I say anything Barba might have done was worse? Nice try at shifting the goalposts though. I said I see similarities in Boyd coming and Barba coming. You on the other hand said this clanger:
" No. On the other hand, the media play ball with Ben Barba in hiding his significant misdemeanours so the public are in the dark."

Tell me how they played ball?

And Boyd isn't someone "not performing" in front of the media, we have other cliche ridden, inarticulate players. He's being a contemptuous prick. Like the media or not, you're at least inadvertently treating the fans with disdain, fans who keep dropkicks like him off the street.

EDIT: And no, season membership isn't 3 cents a season.

Dazzat

First Grade
The media played ball with Barba by perpetuating the "family reasons" myth. Simple.

Oh ... poor little B18. There's one player in the league who doesn't perform like a trained seal in front of the media and you feel ... well ... it's just not right!!! Darius should talky walky with you through the camera. After all, if you extrapolate your season membership to Darius' wage, you are paying him 3 cents a season and getting absolutely no value at all!

And congratulations ... for keeping Darius off the street! You must be so proud of being his counsellor and friend (that's when you're not swearing at him for not saying things like, "Yeah ... I'm just taking one at a time.").

Mr Saab

Referee

Yeah i really want to hear the following :

*Yeah the Roosters will be a big challenge this week. We are looking forward to it"
*Yeah nah, last week we didnt play well, but we are coming together well at training"
*Yeah nah, i am enjoying my time back at Brisbane"

Seriously?

Players are boring, they dont offer anything of substance in interviews that is not already obvious.
As long as Darius is consistent on the field and happy i couldnt care less if he doesnt talk to the "Fans".
Prefer the team win than a cliche riddled BS interview.

Bronco18

Juniors

*Yeah the Roosters will be a big challenge this week. We are looking forward to it"
*Yeah nah, last week we didnt play well, but we are coming together well at training"

Seriously?

Players are boring, they dont offer anything of substance in interviews that is not already obvious.
As long as Darius is consistent on the field and happy i couldnt care less if he doesnt talk to the "Fans".

I prefer a win to all of the above too. I never said otherwise. People defending Boyd's spoilt brat attitude just annoys me. Dazzat can defend him for how the media exposed his personal history; but that's the downside of being a celebrity earning hundreds of thousands a year. My heart bleeds for those poor football players.

Personally I don't know if people are less articulate nowadays, or if the coaches tell players not to say anything of substance. I'd like there to be higher minimum standards that clubs should meet for media commitments to promote games; and if clubs, players and coaches don't buy into it they should be fined. Blokes like Boyd really give NRL players a bad name, but I suppose there's not much you can do about someone being deliberately obtuse.

This probably isn't the right thread for this conversation anyway.

And Dazzat did they "play ball" when they published an article of his missus with mincemeat for a face? Conveniently forgot that... The whole "family reasons" thing was scrutinised (and rightly so).

Dazzat

First Grade

Seriously?

Exactly. This whole attitude that fans own the fans and are entitled to hearing their words of wisdom ... not sure where it comes from.

Dazzat

First Grade
Bronco18 wants to regulate personality.

Last time I checked rugby league players were payed to catch a ball, pass, kick and tackle.

Bronco18

Juniors
I said it's impossible to regulate media commitments when someone is being deliberately obtuse (i.e. "doing a Boyd"). Doesn't mean his contemptuous attitude isn't any less arrogant and childish. Why should he give back and promote the game that his given him his exorbitant lifestyle?

Dazzat

First Grade
I said it's impossible to regulate media commitments when someone is being deliberately obtuse (i.e. "doing a Boyd"). Doesn't mean his contemptuous attitude isn't any less arrogant and childish. Why should he give back and promote the game that his given him his exorbitant lifestyle?

Maybe you could issue Darius with a personality infringement notice. After two infringements he would have to go to Kim Kardashian's School of Personality for Celebrities where he could learn to take selfies and show off his six pack.

If he still insists on having no personality, Shane Warne and Anthony Mundine could be called on to conduct a Personality Boot Camp.

If that doesn't work B18, I'd been asking for a personality clause in my Membership ... something like:

Section A:45B: If members are not satisfied with interviews that players conduct with the media (note that the clichés listed in section 48A do not apply), then that member will be refunded the amount of money that is deemed to represent their own personality.

bfoord

Juniors
Media organisations paid over $1 billion for the last TV rights deal. Do you really think they would pay that much if thry didn't have the right to talk to players.

Players know that when they start a career as a professional athlete (no matter what sport they play) that part of their job is dealing with the media.

If they don't like it, they coyld always just give up their high paying job, to earn a fraction of that doing a real job like the rest of us

Dazzat

First Grade
I think Boyd has paid for his refusal to talk with media - copping the ongoing criticism from fans like yourselves who somehow think that a rugby league contract constitutes slavery to media organisations.

The thing with the media also - they never forget. If you make one mistake in your life, you will pay for it forever. Justin Hodges for example - just about every story brings up the topic of Bennett dumping him when he signed with the Roosters, and every time Origin trots around let's just recall his disastrous debut once again.

Sorry dudes, but I will never side with the mass media and against individualism. Mass media is killing personality in our game, not promoting it.

bfoord

Juniors
I think Boyd has paid for his refusal to talk with media - copping the ongoing criticism from fans like yourselves who somehow think that a rugby league contract constitutes slavery to media organisations.

The thing with the media also - they never forget. If you make one mistake in your life, you will pay for it forever. Justin Hodges for example - just about every story brings up the topic of Bennett dumping him when he signed with the Roosters, and every time Origin trots around let's just recall his disastrous debut once again.

Sorry dudes, but I will never side with the mass media and against individualism. Mass media is killing personality in our game, not promoting it.

The media is a necessary evil ... Without it (and more importantly, its money) the game dies. Without the money we get from them, we lose the ability to issue the club grants and have a $6 million salary cap. If that happens most clubs will fold. And we lose all our stars to competitions who can pay them the big bucks.

Unfortunately that gives the media certain rights, like access to players. It is also a big part of the reason that after each match, the captain and coach must front a press conference (a rule that was brought in after Bennett refused to talk to the media after dropping Hodges for signing with the Roosters)

So i suppose we have a choice, take the medias money (and conditions that go along with that money) or watch the game we love die.

Dazzat

First Grade
OK ... the after match press conference are a great example.

Never has there been a more uninspiring, pathetic, miss-able piece of media than after game press conferences. Often an embarrassment, players and coaches talk like some sort of morons. You could basically substitute the transcript from each game for the next.

Why? Because its imposed on the players and coaches from on high - and that is why you get this rubbish dished out as television. If you're satisfied with that - good luck to you.

And its is up to the NRL to stand up to media. And can you tell me that all players are given a choice whether they want to front the media? If not, these contracts are bordering on illegal. These are rugby league players, not media tarts.

As I've outlined before, the media is not to be trusted, not to be caved-in-to, and must be kept at arms length if you want players to feel safe in their jobs.

Let me put it this way - how would you like the media hovering around your workplace reporting on your work?

Mr Saab

Referee
Maybe you could issue Darius with a personality infringement notice. After two infringements he would have to go to Kim Kardashian's School of Personality for Celebrities where he could learn to take selfies and show off his six pack.

If he still insists on having no personality, Shane Warne and Anthony Mundine could be called on to conduct a Personality Boot Camp.

If that doesn't work B18, I'd been asking for a personality clause in my Membership ... something like:

Section A:45B: If members are not satisfied with interviews that players conduct with the media (note that the clichés listed in section 48A do not apply), then that member will be refunded the amount of money that is deemed to represent their own personality.

And if that fails - call Max Markson

bfoord

Juniors
I dont get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do my job. I'm also not in an industry that relies on media money like sports people. Who know going in what to expect.

Bronco18

Juniors
Poor Darius, answering questions about a footy game must be too hard for someone on $400 000 a year...

It reminds me of something Ikin says: players happily accept all the positives of being a professional footballer but never the responsibilities and drawbacks.

Dazzat

First Grade
Some would debate that Channel Nine has been in the drivers seat of NRL for years. Responses on this thread would confirm this and also the reason Channel Nine has been allowed to suck the game dry ... often with the approval if fans who can't see the bigger picture (focussing on one player out of hundreds ... It's really quite pathetic and comes across like spoilt children who just want everyone to comply to what I want!)

Latest posts