What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

Maroon4life

Juniors
Frank Paul Nuuasala from the Roosters might be coming:
http://www.nospam9/nrl/nuuausala-in-line-for-broncos-swap-15697/

If we had the money, I'd say go for Taumalolo though I don't know if we can compete with a Cowboy offer. His 4 nations campaign has been a breakout and I think he's about to join the elite forwards in the game.

If that were to happen (and FPN genuinely wanted to play for the broncos not ala Kennedy) we would be in for a great competitive season next year.

Dazzat

First Grade
Frank Paul would be OK ... although much of the same size as our other forwards.

From what I've seen of him he covers lock, second row and prop, so short of signing a bigger forward (of which there are none on the market) ... all good!

Frank Paul would represent the first non-Queensland player - that has significantly NRL experience and reputation - to sign with the club for a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dazzat

First Grade
Oh ... I saw another listing where his weight was 103 kg. Yes ... Stuart Mills ... that says a lot.

Bronco18

Juniors
I am optimistic Boyd will bounce back to some decent form but is it me or are there some weird similarities with him and Barba coming to us?

Both came to us hoping to get back to their best in a new and safer environment after some average footy and tumultuous off the field incidents.

I like to think that with therapy/counselling (which Barba did not attend despite being ordered to by the Dogs) a club that isn't' crumbling around him and a fresh new team, Boyd will play good footy for us next year. It's just worth noting that we've been down a similar path before.

Kiwi

First Grade
Yeah FPN is a big boy

I agree it's scary looking back at who we have lost since Bennett left and who we replaced them with.

Dazzat

First Grade
I am optimistic Boyd will bounce back to some decent form but is it me or are there some weird similarities with him and Barba coming to us?

Both came to us hoping to get back to their best in a new and safer environment after some average footy and tumultuous off the field incidents.

I like to think that with therapy/counselling (which Barba did not attend despite being ordered to by the Dogs) a club that isn't' crumbling around him and a fresh new team, Boyd will play good footy for us next year. It's just worth noting that we've been down a similar path before.

The circumstances around Boyd and Barba are completely different.

Boyd has faced his issues and even gone public with them. Barba ran away from his issues and didn't go public.

Boyd has many successful seasons behind him. Barba has just one. Boyd is an established representative player. Barba is not.

hellteam

First Grade
Frank Paul would be OK ... although much of the same size as our other forwards.

From what I've seen of him he covers lock, second row and prop, so short of signing a bigger forward (of which there are none on the market) ... all good!

Frank Paul would represent the first non-Queensland player - that has significantly NRL experience and reputation - to sign with the club for a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stewart Mills, Todd Lowrie

:sarcasm:

Dazzat

First Grade
Unfortunately, despite the fact that I'd love to category Todd Lowrie as a significant quality player with much NRL experience, that is non-Queenslander, he falls down on .... well every one of those criteria.

Great plodder though.

Bronco18

Juniors
The circumstances around Boyd and Barba are completely different.

Boyd has faced his issues and even gone public with them. Barba ran away from his issues and didn't go public.

Boyd has many successful seasons behind him. Barba has just one. Boyd is an established representative player. Barba is not.

Boyd hasn't ever really set the world on fire at Newcastle though, his best form was at the Dragons which feels like it was ages ago.
You'll have to define "going public" with his issues too. What, did Darius have a press conference? We know how much he loves talking to the media. He's undertaking therapy which is great, but I don't think he went public with it, a journalist broke a story about him trashing a hotel room at which point the club announced he had depression.

Maroon4life

Juniors

Don't use the roosters profile page for players specs, they have him at 103 or thereabouts, wiki has him at 114. just looking at him you can see he is nowhere near 103.

FPN is just what the team needs.

Dazzat

First Grade
Boyd hasn't ever really set the world on fire at Newcastle though, his best form was at the Dragons which feels like it was ages ago.
You'll have to define "going public" with his issues too. What, did Darius have a press conference? We know how much he loves talking to the media. He's undertaking therapy which is great, but I don't think he went public with it, a journalist broke a story about him trashing a hotel room at which point the club announced he had depression.

There was a very personal story in the press about his background and his struggles and his decision to reconcile with his mother.

Quite frankly, I'm appalled that so many judge a person on how well he interacts with the media! When did the way we talk with journalists and interact with the media set the standard for personal character and integrity? When did performing like a show pony at press conference become the rule of thumb for evaluating a person?

No. On the other hand, the media play ball with Ben Barba in hiding his significant misdemeanours so the public are in the dark.

The world is just becoming plain weird.

Dazzat

First Grade
Don't use the roosters profile page for players specs, they have him at 103 or thereabouts, wiki has him at 114. just looking at him you can see he is nowhere near 103.

Woo hoo. Bring on 2015!:D

Bronco18

Juniors
There was a very personal story in the press about his background and his struggles and his decision to reconcile with his mother.

Quite frankly, I'm appalled that so many judge a person on how well he interacts with the media! When did the way we talk with journalists and interact with the media set the standard for personal character and integrity? When did performing like a show pony at press conference become the rule of thumb for evaluating a person?

No. On the other hand, the media play ball with Ben Barba in hiding his significant misdemeanours so the public are in the dark.

Lol wut. Is this the daily telegraph that ran a story that pretty much said: "we're not saying Ben beat up his girlfriend, but he beat up his girlfriend" accompanied with a picture of her with significant facial injuries? I'm lost.

And yes, Boyd is a petulant twat and his arrogance in dealing with the media is a good character judgment. His salary is paid for through media deals, he can grow up and give a decent interview.

THE CHAMP

First Grade

the roosters pay by the kg for their players
that's how they stay below the cap.
the had sbw down for 80kg and jennings 75kg last year
fergo is only 60kg

THE CHAMP

First Grade

thiiiiiiissssss
the media f**ked with him so he f**ked back
f**ken simple

Bronco18

Juniors
And of course, if what you're alluding to about Barba is the other rumours that were going around, the media won't report it for the same reason that you won't say it on here.

Dazzat

First Grade
Lol wut. Is this the daily telegraph that ran a story that pretty much said: "we're not saying Ben beat up his girlfriend, but he beat up his girlfriend" accompanied with a picture of her with significant facial injuries? I'm lost.

And yes, Boyd is a petulant twat and his arrogance in dealing with the media is a good character judgment. His salary is paid for through media deals, he can grow up and give a decent interview.

Ben Teo has left the NRL to go overseas. Why? Because the media ran with an unconfirmed story that he was involved in a rape. Can you understand what a devastating affect that had on Teo's life?

Is that part of the deal the NRL has cut with the media as well?

No, I don't believe anywhere in the NRL's deal with Nine is a clause that says players have to perform like monkeys in front of the cameras.

The media also have an obligation to protect players. There are many people who are NOT good in front of a camera, not because they are bad people, but simply they are not comfortable in that position.

You believe you have a "right" to be "entertained" by interviews with players, and if your "right" is not satisfied then you instantly judge a player's character. Don't worry, this attitude is rife in the public now. That's why we get cookie-cutter interviews now where no player is game to say anything out of the ordinary because the media will then slice and dice the interview to a 10 second sound bite to make the player look as bad as possible.

A simple observation by a player is now paraded as "Joe Bloggs attacks ..." or whatever. This is why the "characters" are being forced into being just another "we'll just play each game at a time" puppets.

Last edited:

Latest posts