What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

Maroon4life

Juniors
Someone forgot to tell Bowen, Morgan, coote ect.

Everytime hes driven back 10 meters returning the ball, gets outjumped and outmuscled defending the line, i'll let you remind us theres been some talented small players.

Kiwi

First Grade
Everytime hes driven back 10 meters returning the ball, gets outjumped and outmuscled defending the line, i'll let you remind us theres been some talented small players.
So every kick return sees him driven back 10 meters? I don't think so, and if it happens to much, teaching him what lines to run for kick returns ect so it happens less wouldn't be to hard.

Getting out jumped because of size, if he was given the same protection from team mates that guys like Bowen got the it'd be less of an issue.

There aren't many fullbacks that don't get out muscled defending the line, and I read somewhere ( will try and find it when at home and not on my phone ) but the fullback with the most try saves this year was one of the smallest and most criticized in Ben Barba.

Kodi brings more to the team in strengths than he does weakness, and a lot of his weakness can be over come. It's interesting that for so long the Broncos have had these huge forwards and backs, we had players playing heavy, size and not talent seemed to be the order of the day. Fans complained and were not happy, now all I seem to hear is this players not big enough, that players not big enough, we need big players. What we need to do is actually play to our strengths, we showed in plenty of games we can mix it with the bigger forwards when we actually play to our strengths and run the opposition around. There was one game we did it for the entire game, and that was when we put 40 on the same big dogs pack that made the grand final. Every time we try the out muscle it fails, it's not our strength, but every time we have played a free flowing attacking game teams struggle to go with us and contain us and the bigger sides get worn down and lose their effectiveness.

The size excuse shits me big time, it seems what ever direction the club is heading with regards to size the majority of the fans want the opposite.

Kiwi

First Grade
They had the jitters today the NYC boys. Only completed 60% of their sets in the first half and just allowed the Warriors to put on a score. I called the Warriors the pool-sharks of the finals as they basically loaded the team up with two players who predominately played NSW Cup all year and only played 5 games (Kata) and 2 games (Lolohea). I reckon they caught a lot of teams off-guard and we weren't any different.

Still, the boys showed plenty of heart out there. Still plenty to work on but there's some good raw talent there.

Jayden Nikorima was the pick of the bunch IMO.
That seems very wrong, unless due to injury that sort of thing shouldn't be allowed. You should have to play more U20's than nswrl or isc to play in the finals.

Kiwi

First Grade
Fai is one of the prospects I'm excited about, as is Collins and Hipgrave.

I'd like to see how Ofahengaue and Arrow go after a full pre-season. I'm a big fan of Lisone but worth pointing out he has a whole year on Ofahengaue - that's huge at NYC level.
I was very impressed with Fair, Arrow and Ofenalphabet. I still can't believe a comment was made about Ofenbuyavowel being to small. The kid was easily one of the biggest out there yesterday and had some nice footwork and speed for a big man. Arrow the kid can play and when Parker retires this kid could slot straight in to replace him if he keeps what I saw up. Fair seemed to be a handful when ever he touched the ball.

Big Pete

Referee
That seems very wrong, unless due to injury that sort of thing shouldn't be allowed. You should have to play more U20's than nswrl or isc to play in the finals.

There's three conflicting thoughts I have on it...

1) At the end of the day, it's all about who has the best juniors coming through. If you get to a certain stage and want to drop your best and brightest back a grade - fair play to you.

2) The NYC enthusiast in me is pissed because that Warriors side didn't resemble the one they played with all year and it sort of makes a mockery of the other 26 weeks that proceeded it.

3) Ehhhh it's NYC. It's basically NRL 9s - just a bit of fun and a chance to watch a couple of stars before they hit it big.

Then again, if you slapped the Brisbane Broncos onto anything the chances are I'd get emotionally invested. Just the nature of the beast. :lol:

Dazzat

First Grade
Ashley Taylor is said to be a good defender according to his profile. From what I saw of his short kicking game yesterday, if he can tackle then he should be given a crack at coming off the bench as a No. 9 (assuming that Bennett won't continue with the insanity of playing McCullough for 90).

Big Pete

Referee
The profile must have been written by his mother.

If there was one weakness in Taylor's game it's his defence. It cost Brisbane the game against the Eels and may have cost them again against the Warriors.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Ashley Taylor is said to be a good defender according to his profile. From what I saw of his short kicking game yesterday, if he can tackle then he should be given a crack at coming off the bench as a No. 9 (assuming that Bennett won't continue with the insanity of playing McCullough for 90).

Taylor has been ordinary at best over the last 3 games. Hopefully I caught him during a rough patch.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

I don't have a problem with it personally. If you are under 20 and signed by the club then you should be eligible for under 20s.

I would have had no problem if Oates came back in for the Broncos.

And yes BP, I am with you, I got fully behind the Brisbane Broncos nyc side over the last few weeks. I wish we got to see more of them on TV, or perhaps a dedicated reserve grade team.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I was very impressed with Fair, Arrow and Ofenalphabet. I still can't believe a comment was made about Ofenbuyavowel being to small. The kid was easily one of the biggest out there yesterday and had some nice footwork and speed for a big man. Arrow the kid can play and when Parker retires this kid could slot straight in to replace him if he keeps what I saw up. Fair seemed to be a handful when ever he touched the ball.

I stand corrected regarding Joe's size, thanks for pointing it out.

I still think people expecting him to come to NRL and make an instant impact might be sorely disappointed. I think he can play a Wallace type of role for us next year, and then hope he kicks on better than Jarrod. Joe was our best forward, and has been over the last few weeks. But there were probably 2 Warriors forwards who outplayed him I thought.

Arrow's defence was really refreshing, given how poor NYC defence is. I didn't think he bent the line very well at 20s level, but definitely a prospect and glad the Broncos re-signed him.

Fai seems to be the best prospect in my eyes. I think something would need to go pretty wrong with his development over the next couple of years for him not to have a strong impact in NRL at some stage.

I think Kodi is a great NYC and 9s player, but I can't see him transferring those skills to NRL. Jayden is like Kodi but seems more skillful in most areas. I can really see him playing NRL for the Broncos sooner rather than later.

Just my opinions based on the past few weeks, certainly no expert on talent identification!!!

Kiwi

First Grade
I stand corrected regarding Joe's size, thanks for pointing it out.

I still think people expecting him to come to NRL and make an instant impact might be sorely disappointed. I think he can play a Wallace type of role for us next year, and then hope he kicks on better than Jarrod. Joe was our best forward, and has been over the last few weeks. But there were probably 2 Warriors forwards who outplayed him I thought.

Arrow's defence was really refreshing, given how poor NYC defence is. I didn't think he bent the line very well at 20s level, but definitely a prospect and glad the Broncos re-signed him.

Fai seems to be the best prospect in my eyes. I think something would need to go pretty wrong with his development over the next couple of years for him not to have a strong impact in NRL at some stage.

I think Kodi is a great NYC and 9s player, but I can't see him transferring those skills to NRL. Jayden is like Kodi but seems more skillful in most areas. I can really see him playing NRL for the Broncos sooner rather than later.

Just my opinions based on the past few weeks, certainly no expert on talent identification!!!
I certainly don't expect any of our young props to burst on to the scene in 2015, if one did great, but I think they are probably a good year or two away, it's very rare for props to hit first grade and make immediate impacts at such young ages, generally 22+ is more common. I don't think Ofe and Fai are that far off, a full season in ISC will do them a world of good.

I don't know if we were watching the same Arrow on Sunday but he certainly bent the line and was very hard to put down breaking plenty of tackles.

I think Kodi would compliment the style of play we should be playing more than Boyd, and in all honesty I think Barba ( as much as I think Boyd is a better all round fullback ) would compliment it even more, but it looks like Bennett doesn't want a bar of Barba, which is strange considering his comments about what he thinks will get Barba firing again like he was in 2012 and Barba 2012 is the best fullback in the comp. If Kodi or Taylor aren't used in the top grade in round 1 I would like to see them both play full seasons in ISC

Jayden definately needs another season in U20's .

Much like yourself these are just my opinions, and I am certainly not claiming to be an expert, I just get sick of seeing the same lines trotted out , he's too small, he's too big, it always seems to be the opposite of what's happening with the club, I'm starting to think a lot of fans just like to whinge for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Maroon4life

Juniors
I certainly don't expect any of our young props to burst on to the scene in 2015, if one did great, but I think they are probably a good year or two away, it's very rare for props to hit first grade and make immediate impacts at such young ages, generally 22+ is more common. I don't think Ofe and Fai are that far off, a full season in ISC will do them a world of good.

I don't know if we were watching the same Arrow on Sunday but he certainly bent the line and was very hard to put down breaking plenty of tackles.

I think Kodi would compliment the style of play we should be playing more than Boyd, and in all honesty I think Barba ( as much as I think Boyd is a better all round fullback ) would compliment it even more, but it looks like Bennett doesn't want a bar of Barba, which is strange considering his comments about what he thinks will get Barba firing again like he was in 2012 and Barba 2012 is the best fullback in the comp. If Kodi or Taylor aren't used in the top grade in round 1 I would like to see them both play full seasons in ISC

Jayden definately needs another season in U20's .

Much like yourself these are just my opinions, and I am certainly not claiming to be an expert, I just get sick of seeing the same lines trotted out , he's too small, he's too big, it always seems to be the opposite of what's happening with the club, I'm starting to think a lot of fans just like to whinge for the sake of it.

I don't want him playing fullback because he's too small. There are places for small people on the field, i personally don't like them at fullback or wing because I think bigger players in those positions offer more.

A rookie out of the under 20's at 85kg and 1.74m playing fullback sounds disastrous. I hope we get Boyd.

As a side note, ill also say Barba, Bowen and Slater all played behind dominant forward packs. I'll let you decide if you think Kodi would be doing the same.

Dazzat

First Grade
Couldn't believe the comments by Josh Hoffman in a story today - throwing tantrums to Griffin insisting he plays fullback. It explained a lot about the season just gone. Hoffman basically held Griffin to ransom and Griffin let him, and we saw the disaster that was Hoffman at No. 6.

Hoffman will find out the hard way that he is a winger when he moves to greener pastures.

League guru

Juniors
Couldn't believe the comments by Josh Hoffman in a story today - throwing tantrums to Griffin insisting he plays fullback. It explained a lot about the season just gone. Hoffman basically held Griffin to ransom and Griffin let him, and we saw the disaster that was Hoffman at No. 6.

Hoffman will find out the hard way that he is a winger when he moves to greener pastures.

How did Griffin cater to Hoffmans desire to play fullback. Didn,t he play the majority of the season at five eight. Still think he is the best fullback option that they currently have at the club.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
My theory is that Hoffman insisted on playing No. 6 if he didn't play No. 1 - when everyone could see he should be playing wing.

some11

Referee
Yes, fullback was his first choice and if he couldn't play there then 5/8.

The bloke wants to be chief playmaker despite having never consistently displayed the required skills.

Last edited:

League guru

Juniors
I presume Griffin picked the teams. So when Griffin didn't, pick him at fullback, his preferred option, he said pick me at five eight. If he had so much influence over Griffin (as is implied) why didn't, he insist that he be picked at Fullback. You blokes say anything, to quantify your opinions.

Dazzat

First Grade
Griffin's capitulation is self evident from Hoffman's comments and now his decision to depart the club now he has no chance of playing in either position.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
If Hala can remain injury free for a season, he may get some momentum and improve his cardio so he can play longer minutes. He's obviously strong (holding the club's bench press record), and has shown some promising signs.

Let's not forget Mitchell Dodds either. He is a quality player in my opinion and could develop into one of the hardest hitters in the game - again if he can remain injury free.

Mitch Garbutt is an amazing young talent, and its timely he arrives at the club at the same time as Bennett.

Hannant fell off this year because basically he was shafted by Griffin. If he stays at the club (and again stays injury free), I think you'll see a big improvement in his game as well.

I don't things are as dire in our front row as they appear. Let's not forget Bennett's great history of developing (and coaching) champion front rowers - possibly a record second to none when you consider Lazarus, Webcke, and Civ - the three best front rowers of the modern era.

You'd have to say though that the Brisbane pack this year would be one of, if the not the most lightest in the competition. But that didn't stop Griffin trying to play a power game up the middle (sorry last rant against Griffin).

Lots of conflicting views of the Under 20s forward. I'll be watching the game on Sunday with interest.

Griffin's capitulation is self evident from Hoffman's comments and now his decision to depart the club now he has no chance of playing in either position.

griffin.png

Seriously.....it's time to move on.