What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

Big Pete

Referee
Possibly but I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage, especially since the source is coming from the SMH and they've got a mixed track record when it comes to these 'scoops' and anything Broncos related.

Dazzat

First Grade
In breaking news - even NZ selectors know Hoffman's best position and have rushed him in to the team to replace an injured winger.

Ghoulies

Bench
Foundation Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is once again "stamping his authority" by allowing prize signing Ben Barba to return to Sydney, according to Brisbane stalwart Sam Thaiday.
Barba is reportedly poised to defect to Cronulla after Bennett allowed the 2012 Dally M medallist to negotiate with rival clubs along with fellow full-back Josh Hoffman.
The backline pair are also expected to be joined by maligned front-rower Martin Kennedy in a Red Hill exodus as Bennett returns to his former club, along with his long-time full-back Darius Boyd.
Ben Hannant has also moved to North Queensland since Anthony Griffin finished his four-season stint with Brisbane.

Thaiday is aware of the rumours and admitted he felt for his unwanted team-mates.
"I think Wayne has come in and is really trying to stamp his authority," former skipper Thaiday said.
"He has to have a squad which he can really work with in the future. It's a tough old sport that we play and you can be on the wrong end of the stick sometimes.
"I hope they can still be a part of the Broncos ... but if the boys leave it's going to be tough for them and I'd wish them all the best."
Although Barba made his name as a full-back for the Bulldogs, the Sharks see him as Todd Carney's number six replacement after making an encouraging mid-season switch for the Broncos.
While feted as the signing of the year, Thaiday bluntly admitted Barba, who scored 23 tries in 24 games in 2012 before being released by Canterbury on compassionate grounds, had not deliver on the field.
"It kind of comes down to form," the representative back rower said. "He didn't show the form that we probably wanted him to show as well.
"Wayne wants to have a squad that he's selected so he can really do something in the future."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...y-by-letting-barba-leave-broncos3a-th/5834030

It looks like it's time to start believing those SMH reports.

I'll be mighty pissed if Barba finally comes good at the Sharks.

Snappy

Coach
On another note (get the pun - violin ... note ... music) ... Barba's rumoured move to the Sharks makes me think that the "family reasons" given for his moving to Brisbane were a pile of hooey.

Not entirely. At the time Ben and his partner were separated, and she moved with the kids back to Brisbane. Now they are back together as a family, he could go back to Sydney with his family by his side.

Snappy

Coach
Whats actually the deal with Boyd ? Everyone just assumes he's coming but has he actually signed yet ?

DeeJ

Bench
I think it might be worthwhile to persist with Kennedy, if he took a pay cut. He played well at the end of the year and we could use his size and his experience to a lesser degree.

Kiwi

First Grade
If we lose Barba, Hoffman and Kennedy, hello Boyd and Merrin maybe?

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think it might be worthwhile to persist with Kennedy, if he took a pay cut. He played well at the end of the year and we could use his size and his experience to a lesser degree.

I agree I would like to see the Broncos persist with Kennedy, if only because we are short on (proven) front rowers, and as you said, finished the season pretty strongly.

Dazzat

First Grade
I agree Kennedy did show some form toward the end of the year, and I would like to see him under Bennett for a while.

Barba? Something tells me his best days are behind him already which is a massive shame.

Hoffman. Love him as a player and will be sad to see him go, but he needs to.

bfoord

Juniors
Barba's management have rubbished reports about Barba leaving:

Barba’s management has rubbished a report linking him to a shock move to Cronulla.

“As far as I’m concerned that is not happening,” Barba’s manager Gavin Orr said.

“I am a little bit disappointed … it’s just all hearsay. It’s taken half my day up dealing with it.

“No one has rung me from Brisbane giving me permission to do anything.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ld-stay-a-bronco/story-fniabm4i-1227098991961

Dazzat

First Grade
The plot thickens. Only Benny knows the truth.

For me, both Kennedy and Barba played like rock stars all year - over paid and going through the motions.

Darren Lockyer is the benchmark at the Broncos - a champion who gave his all rain, hail and shine.

I'm not saying that every player plays to Lockyer's skill level, but at the Broncos, the expectation of commitment and passion will go up a few notches this year. Kennedy and Barba would need to almost have an epiphany to fit into Bennett's mould. Possible - yes.

Maroon4life

Juniors
So he's trying top offload Kennedy, Hoffman and Barba - three of our most disruptive and overpiad plodders. This Bennett bloke seems like a good coach.

Dazzat

First Grade
There's probably about $1.2 million wrapped up in that trio of non performers and girly-men.

On another note, news of Josh McGuire's possible retirement due to eye problems is deeply concerning. Hannant's gone. Kennedy may be gone. If McGuire leaves that would leave us with ...?

A starting front row of ... Gavet and Garbett? Well at least it rhymes.

Big Pete

Referee
It doesn't rhyme because it's Garbutt, with a u.

Or Galbutt, like Glanville.

:lol:

I'm still waiting for Wayne to sign Jake Glanville out of the Mt Isa Rugby League competition.

We're in real trouble now that we're relying on his team mate Matt Garbett.

Save us Coby Nokomura!

Dazzat

First Grade
Bug Splete and Sum114 are probably the most keen analysts of rugby league and grammar in this entire forum.

Dazzat

First Grade
My team for next year:

1. Barius Doyd
2. Dale Copplee
3. Justin Hogges
4. Jack Read
5. Daniel Video (or hopefully Bennett will blood a rookie on the wing and play Video as a bench player - wide running backrower)
6. Andrew Millfudd
7. Ben Hunt (even I can spell that one right)
8. Josh Mic-wire
9. Androo MacCulluck
10. David Halla
11. Sam Thighday
12. Mat Jillet
13. Koree Parka

14. James Gavot
15. Mitch Glarbutt
16. Frasess Mollo
17. Coree Otes

Latest posts