What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
Guys, just letting you know it was reported on the news that Bennett has made the following changes for the team:

• Justin Hodges and Corey Parker have been dropped as co-captains
  • Darius Boyd will be signed
  • Darius Boyd will be fullback for 2015
  • He is hoping to have Martin Kennedy on deck ready for 2015
Regarding the fullback position being taken, what does this mean for Hoffman and Milford?

Don't shoot the messenger, just saying.

Martin Kennedy wont be at Brisbane in 2015 either back at the Roosters or the Titans- Brisbane will have to pay a percentage of any new contract as he had 2 more years to go on his Bronco one

Ghoulies

Bench
Why so? Unless Barba is moving to Sydney with his partner and his children, then I have every right to raise this question.

Do his children no longer need him? Are they suddenly 17-year-olds and no longer need their father, or are they moving to Sydney with him.

As mentioned before in this forum, I've heard there were other circumstances that forced Barba out of the Bulldogs other than what was publicised.

In regard to "compassion", I imagine you are suggesting that Bennett is not compassionate. One only needs to know a little of Bennett's relationships and ethos to know this is just a falsehood.

The big difference you will find between Griffin and Bennett is Bennett puts a much higher value upon integrity. Bennett will set standards and if they are compromised then a player will immediately know. This approach is compassionate.
Come on, Daz. He was being sarcastic.

He's saying that it was never about compassion to begin with for Barba. He was laughing because he thinks it's funny that you're just arriving at this conclusion now.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
Alf is back.

Allan Langer has been confirmed as an assistant coach and will be running the water on game day.

ggmu

Juniors
Best part is we get to hear everybody cry about how much Alfie is on the field again, even though he spends the same amount of time out there as every other trainer.

Kiwi

First Grade
Hala out the door to the Titans maybe, not overly fussed about him leaving to be honest, had a tonne of potential, but never seemed to have the staying power on the field, was good for a couple of good runs a game when if fit.

So our front row stocks have gone from

McGuire
Parker
Kennedy
Wallace
Hannant
Dodds ( yes I know he got injured early )
Hala

to

McGuire
Parker
Garbutt
Gavett
Wallace
Ofahengaue
Dodds
Molo

BIG improvement so far.

Dazzat

First Grade
First two - not props in the traditional sense of props.

Combined NRL experience of those left - probably around 25 games?

Yes, Hala is all muscle and as most guys who carry a lot of bulk, cardio is an issue - and often injury as well.

The truth is, we can't afford to lose anyone else. If McGuire is injured early next year things could get very interesting.

Gold Coast certainly have a glut of good front rowers. Surely they could spare one. Ryan James would be good.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
A quick scan of props still to sign contracts, the only two with experience are Moi Moi and Fa'alogo. Of young relatively inexperienced props - of which we don't need any more - Lloyd Perrett is obviously the stand-out.

Fa'alogo could be an option if he decided to follow Bennett from Newcastle, but to be honest, he hasn't impressed me in the past.

Kiwi

First Grade
We're still good.

If reports are true I'm happy with

8 - McGuire
10 - Parker

14 - Gavett
15 - Joe O
16 - Garbutt

Works for me

perverse

Referee
A quick scan of props still to sign contracts, the only two with experience are Moi Moi and Fa'alogo. Of young relatively inexperienced props - of which we don't need any more - Lloyd Perrett is obviously the stand-out.

Fa'alogo could be an option if he decided to follow Bennett from Newcastle, but to be honest, he hasn't impressed me in the past.
I think Perrett re-signed with the Dogs, but I can't find a link or source... was just floating around these forums, I think. Might not be a done deal yet.

Fa'alogo goes alright, tbh... and certainly hasn't embarrassed himself in his time at the Knights. He's nothing flash, and you know if you're relying on him as a starter that your pack is in the bottom portion of the competition, but he's a bloke you can use and does the job. I'm quietly hoping he'll stay at the Knights for another year or two. I'd definitely love to keep him over Houston... but I doubt that will happen. House is very much a part of the boys club around our club.

Dazzat

First Grade
We're still good.

If reports are true I'm happy with

8 - McGuire
10 - Parker

14 - Gavett
15 - Joe O
16 - Garbutt

Works for me

A grand total of about 15 games experience on the bench in a position where experience is probably more critical than any.

Just thinking other packs would be salivating at the prospect of taking on a team with a such a prop rotation.

Kiwi

First Grade
Garbutt - 9 games
Gavet - 13 games
Joe O - can't remember if he has played yet.

Yup not a huge amount, but when you consider we have Parker ( 299 ), McGuire ( 111 ), Thaiday ( 207 ), Glenn ( 143 ), Gillett ( 106 ) and McCullough ( 146 ) all with plenty of experience in the pack there should be plenty of forward leadership on the field, more than enough.

And if they are "salivating" then it'll be at their peril because the Broncos team ( including the forward pack ) will be a much improved on anything we've seen in the last 3+ years easily. I don't think teams will be silly enough to take us lightly, they'll be in for a world of hurt if they do.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Garbutt and Joe O have huge potential - Garbutt as a ball playing prop and Joe O as a fantastic metre eater. I must admit, not familiar with Gavet, but he looks like an enforcer - so there's a good mix of skills and approaches right there.

Big Pete

Referee
Torn on Kennedy leaving.

Largely because it will most likely mean we'll practically be paying for him to play for another club and I hate that. Don't know what the situation was - maybe he was unhappy here and Wayne sensed that by ideally it would have been better to keep him here for one season and reassess.

Now it's too late for that.

As for Hala, sad to see him go as he had fan favourite potential but that was the key word with him. Potential can be a dangerous illusory concept - you maybe able to see it but if you chase after it for too long all you'll end up with is oblivion. Realistically, he was just another guy fighting for a first grade spot and it's probably a better idea to let him go, clear the path for somebody with more upside and save some $$$ for others.

Just more short term pain for long term gain.

Dazzat

First Grade
I heard a figure of around $450,000 on the news tonight. That's gotta hurt.

Hala ... I seem to remember him making one huge run, bumping players left and right, and then he immediately pulled some muscle and was out for the next few months. Kinda sums him up.

Big Pete

Referee
Ruptured his patella tendon against the Storm in an otherwise forgettable night at AAMI Park.

It sucked, was his first game back after suffering an injury. He was reportedly primed for a big year after being mentored by Petero.