What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous Side Named

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You voted for them... now here they are!

Introducing the first ever Indigenous All Stars team:

Carl Webb

North Queensland Cowboys

“Having been involved in a number of Indigenous teams it has always been a dream to play in a team with all the top players. To have legends like Rony Gibbs, Cliff Lyons and Gorden Tallis involved only makes me more grateful to be involved in the original event”

Cory Paterson
Newcastle Knights

“This will be the biggest game I have ever been a part of. I’m just really excited and honoured to have the chance to play in such an awesome game. I can’t wait to play with so many incredible players.”

Daine Laurie
Penrith Panthers

“I’ve always dreamed of playing in an Indigenous NRL side with all the boys available. I can’t wait!”

George Rose
Manly Sea Eagles

"Anybody who knows me knows how passionate I am about my people.
This rates with any other honour in the game.”

Greg Inglis
Melbourne Storm

“Every time I play I’m not only representing my team. I am also representing my family name and my Aboriginal culture. They represent who and what I am.”

Jamal Idris
Canterbury Bulldogs

“Playing in this team would be like playing at Forster Mission while I was growing up. I think 80 or 90 of my family will make the trip to see me play.”

Jamie Soward
St George Illawarra Dragons

“It’s a massive effort for Preston to have been involved in the development of the game. Having tasted the experience when I played with him in the Dreamtime team last year I know how much it means to our people."

Jharal Yow Yeh

Brisbane Broncos

“This is the highest honour of my football career. I have ambitions to play for Queensland and Australia and this is on the same level. I am so happy for my family.”

Joel Thompson
Canberra Raiders

“After missing out last year (through injury) I thought I was no chance. I will be playing for my cousins and all my Aboriginal relatives.”

Johnathan Thurston
North Queensland Cowboys

''It's a great concept and I think the benefits off the field for our communities is going to be huge. It's more than just football to them - it's about recognition and being represented, and I couldn't be prouder to be part of that for my people.”

Justin Hodges
Brisbane Broncos

“I have always been passionate about my culture and my people. To represent them in this event will be a moment I will never forget.”

Nathan Merritt
South Sydney Rabbitohs

“It will be the proudest moment in my football career. I’ve played Aboriginal knockout football but this will be the ultimate experience playing with the likes of Preston, Thurston and Inglis – it will be awesome.”

PJ Marsh

Brisbane Broncos

“I’ve always had a connection with Indigenous people but to discover my heritage three years ago will make this an emotional experience for me”

Preston Campbell ©
Gold Coast Titans

“The game intends to bring important new initiatives to our youth through the programs it will fund and the opportunities it will provide.
We want to listen to these kids and encourage them to not only dream but to live their dreams.”

Sam Thaiday
Brisbane Broncos

“To represent the people of the Torres Strait will be one of the proudest moments of my career. We hope it will inspire all kids to follow their dreams.”

Scott Prince
Gold Coast Titans

"It would be an honour to represent my people against the best of the rest in the NRL. Also playing alongside some of the most talented sportspeople in Australia, including the likes of Inglis, Thurston, Presto and of course, dual international/Danny Glover body double, Big Dell"

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Canberra Raiders

“To represent the Indigenous peoples of Australia will be a huge honour and to play alongside some of the best players in the game is also something I am excited about.”

Travis Waddell
Canberra Raiders

“It’s awesome and beyond my wildest dreams. When I was told I couldn’t believe it. It will mean so much to my family.”

Wendell Sailor

St George Illawarra Dragons

“It’s important to remember where you came from and hopefully we will help young Indigenous kids to believe in their culture, their ability and their identity.”

Yileen Gordon
Canterbury Bulldogs

“This will go above and beyond last year and I am just happy to be part of the team. The honour of representing my people is something very special to me.”

The Rugby League All Stars game will take place at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, February 13, 2010.

http://www.nrl.com/tabid/10874/newsid/57327/indigenous-all-stars-team-revealed/default.aspx

aqua_duck

Coach
strong team
1.Campbell
2.Merritt
3.Hodges
4.Inglis
5.Dell
6.Thurston
7.Prince
8.TLL
9.Marsh
10.Webb
11.Thaiday
12.Paterson
13.Gordon

14.Rose
15.Laurie
16.Idris
17.Soward

Waddell
Thompson
Yow yeh

Ausguy

Coach
personally i dont think sailor should be in the team if he has retired... just takes the space that a youngen could have had.

another reward for a drug taker.

skeepe

Immortal
1. Preston Campbell
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Johnathon Thurston
8. George Rose
9. Travis Waddell
10. Carl Webb
11. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Joel Thompson

14. Cory Patterson
15. Yilleen Gordon
16. Scott Prince
17. PJ Marsh
18. Jharal Yow-Yeh
19. Daine Laurie
20. Jamal Idris

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
I thought the squad was supposed to be made up of Preston Campbell, one player from each team (16) and 3 picks from the coach for a squad of 20.

2 Dragons, 2 Cowboys, 2 Bulldogs, 3 Raiders and 4 Broncos.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
1.Campbell
2.Merritt
3.Hodges
4.Inglis
5.Yow Yeh
6.Soward
7.Thurston
8.Rose
9.Prince
10.Webb
11.Thaiday
12.TLL
13.Gordon

14.Paterson
15.Laurie
16.Thompson
17.Sailor

Bloody good side IMO, forward pack is a bit thin in parts, but that backline is sensational

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I thought the squad was supposed to be made up of Preston Campbell, one player from each team (16) and 3 picks from the coach for a squad of 20.

The all-stars side is one player from each team. The indigenous side could have as many from each team as possible.

skeepe

Immortal
Why is it so hard for people to understand the concept that each team will have a 7 man bench?

intercept

Juniors

The NRL All Stars team is made up of 1 player from each club, along with the Australian and New Zealand captains and vice-captians.

This team is made up of Preston, 16 players from any clubs, and 3 selector's choices. No player per club restrictions.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

Not the case mate that is the NRL all stars.

The indigenous side was by popular vote with the only restriction being heritage.

My side from that would be

1. Preston Campbell
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Scott Prince
7. Johnathon Thurston
8. George Rose
9. Travis Waddell
10. Carl Webb
11. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs