What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis: have we seen the best of him?

Inglis: have we seen the best of him?

• Yes

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 21.0%

• Total voters

The 18th Man

Juniors
If Inglis does start off in the centres, the back row/centre combination will be quite awesome. You have Taylor on the left who can create more than enough space for Inglis through his size alone

Definately. The potential is mouth watering for Souths fans. If they get their best more often than not out of their big names, it is potentially quite scary. I think the St George-Illawarra Dragons are the team to beat, a healthy rivalry will live up to expectations you would think in 2011.

This is all assuming Ian Schubert approves of the Souths/Inglis deal.

simon says

First Grade
Great call on him playing at FB......I reckon he would kill it there.

Inglis in space means danger time.

I think its unfair to judge him at this age and when he has had injuries as well.

On Souffs.....true not too many have gone there and prospered,but this is a different side.

Hooch

Juniors
He's gone from a highly disciplined club which kicked him up the arse, punted a contract with a strong club with a good culture, and gone to a club which is more concerned with satisfying it's owners ego than anything else.

Lang is a good coach but Inglis is lazy as all hell, and it took a character like Bellamy to rip into him to get him to perform.

This season will be poor for him, the size he's ballooned to now is ridiculous for a pro athlete, he's totally ignored his diet, and he won't be dropping that weight quickly with his injury problems.

Loudstrat

Coach
On the weight note, if Inglis drops to 105kg he will be only a few kilograms heavier than Jarryd Hayne is. Hayne is easily the biggest fullback in the game and look at what he can do. If Inglis trims down he would go well without a doubt, but he needs to work really hard before I would put him there.

Hayne has far better footwork and acceleration than Inglis does. Inglis at centre never comes up against an entire set defensive line like fullbacks do. Ingls has speed over 30m, but not over 2. That is why he will never be a great fullback in my opinion. To me, he's a centre running off a ball plying pivot, or maybe a back rower.

Eels Dude

Coach
Hayne has far better footwork and acceleration than Inglis does. Inglis at centre never comes up against an entire set defensive line like fullbacks do. Ingls has speed over 30m, but not over 2. That is why he will never be a great fullback in my opinion. To me, he's a centre running off a ball plying pivot, or maybe a back rower.

Agree. Hayne's about 98kgs which is massive for a fullback, ideally he should lose a few kilos. Inglis at 106kgs cannot play fullback. His acceleration is weak, he's got great speed and strength when he breaks into full stride and that's when he's unstoppable. But he doesn't have the acceleration, lateral movement or turn and chase to be a decent fullback. Put a grubber behind him and the attack would score every time.

Have we seen the best of his. Yes. No-one goes to Souths and becomes a better player.

Lambretta

First Grade
For the past two or three seasons Inglis has reported for the start of the season overweight and lacking fitness. It's not until Origin rolls around that weight finally falls off and he hits his stride.

If you own a fantasy team, buying Inglis in the off season is suicide. He'll score you f**k all points and will look like a shadow of his former self.

Then Origin looms and it's time to buy as his weight falls off, his form improves out of sight and his stats head in the right direction.

However, for the past two seasons there has been an even more worrying trend of his off the ball work dropping off significantly. He spends long periods putting in little effort which he then covers up by a fend, big break and try assist / try.

That's great for the highlights reel and in close games like Origin, one big play is often all thats needed to win it - but week in week out in the NRL it isn't good enough.

He has the talent, dont get me wrong. I cant remember a centre that was as good as Inglis in the 15 years I've been watching League - but there are a few key indicators in his game which point to his best being behind him.

I voted maybe because his talent (and his ability to get into gear a third of the way through each season) is undeniable and you never write off a champion. But there's enough in his game to give me reason to pause.

stormbati

Bench
I hope we haven't, it would be really dissappointing. Seems like Souths fans have suffered for so long and would be great to see Greg lead them to a premiership.

rnb11

Juniors
I can't see him improving, if he's lucky he'll stay at the same level as where he was at Melbourne. Anyone that goes to Souths clearly struggles to stay in form, the fans try to deny this but its the honest truth. Personally I think he's just there for the money, why else would he back down from a deal with a team that's an inch away from a premiership? When he's playing for money instead of glory, he won't be giving it 100% and that's why I think we've seen the best of him.

Alex28

Coach
Owen Craigie number 2 but with more talent.

Disagree. Craigie never had the talent around him to make him look good that Inglis has had.

Now that he doesn't have the likes of Cronk, Slater and Smith to feed off we'll find out how average he really is. He's lazy and overrated.

BranVan3000

Coach
Have Souths ever signed a promising back who is so young? The best backs we've signed were probably around 07 and most of them have been old and due for retiring, plus our training and coaching and entire attitude were much worse in prior years.

BranVan3000

Coach
I can't see him improving, if he's lucky he'll stay at the same level as where he was at Melbourne. Anyone that goes to Souths clearly struggles to stay in form, the fans try to deny this but its the honest truth. Personally I think he's just there for the money, why else would he back down from a deal with a team that's an inch away from a premiership? When he's playing for money instead of glory, he won't be giving it 100% and that's why I think we've seen the best of him.
How are Bronco's an inch away from a Premiership? More like an inch away from losing their biggest player, their coach and plummeting to sh*t for a few years

rnb11

Juniors
How are Bronco's an inch away from a Premiership? More like an inch away from losing their biggest player, their coach and plummeting to sh*t for a few years

They've got a third of the QLD team playing for them, one of the greatest ever players and some of the brightest youngsters in the game. Im not a Broncos fan but you'd be a fool not to consider them as a real premiership threat. One thing's for sure they'll do a hell of a lot better than Souths, the only thing the Abotohs are good for is talking themselves up before a ball has even been kicked off.

BranVan3000

Coach
They've got a third of the QLD team playing for them, one of the greatest ever players and some of the brightest youngsters in the game. Im not a Broncos fan but you'd be a fool not to consider them as a real premiership threat. One thing's for sure they'll do a hell of a lot better than Souths, the only thing the Abotohs are good for is talking themselves up before a ball has even been kicked off.
Hahaha, and they had the same thing this year. Why did they come in below Souths?

andrew057

First Grade
Disagree. Craigie never had the talent around him to make him look good that Inglis has had.

Now that he doesn't have the likes of Cronk, Slater and Smith to feed off we'll find out how average he really is. He's lazy and overrated.

This is seriously some of the dumbest sh*t Ive read on these forums. Surely youre just being a troll.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
At his height & frame you're all dreaming if you thought GI would not get bigger...105kgs is light for someone his size (you all know how hard it is to get back to the size you were at 18 - impossible really). Having said that - some big fellas don't lose their natural abilities, agility etc with a few kilos added. And while I agree there is probably an ideal body type / weight/ etc for EVERY position, its not a hard and fast rule. Remember the days when wingers were skinny little fast freaks? Take RU for instance...Jonah broke the mould & now its not unusual to see wingers as big as front row forwards.
GI may never get back to 105kgs but that doesn't mean he's seen his best. Fitness, focus & self-belief make the difference. It's those things that will determine how far he goes.

Galeforce

Bench
I have responded to poll with maybe , as i believe he only needs to deliver to his prior best form to go down as the best running back that has played since the 1960's i.e. when i started watching the game.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I have responded to poll with maybe , as i believe he only needs to deliver to his prior best form to go down as the best running back that has played since the 1960's i.e. when i started watching the game.

I'd say Jim Brown or Barry Sanders personally ;-)

Latest posts