What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

franklin2323

Immortal
I can't find an online link. Though a good article in the Western Weekender footy liftout about the crowd dropping & Ivan's wonderful coaching won 9 from 30 games & why questions should be asked.

Nugget10

Juniors
Gus has faith in Cleary so he isn't going anywhere. Cleary is in a win/win situation imo. We're spoon favourites so if we avoid the spoon he is a super coach and if we end with the spoon he has lived up to expectations

franklin2323

Immortal
i guess he has left the dud department at least for a few weeks anyway :lol:

Look at who have played well for us recently Simmons, Walsh, John, Plum, Robinson all don't have starts for next year. Easy to be motivated when your employments threatened.

A few are starting to get picked up so we will see if the coach or unemployment is behind this form.

We have Tigers, Canberra, bye, Parra, Dragons, Titans. We drop only 2 of them and are well in the 8. It will seem he can coach.

marty65

Juniors
Look at who have played well for us recently Simmons, Walsh, John, Plum, Robinson all don't have starts for next year. Easy to be motivated when your employments threatened.

I always thought that this was 1 factor going in our favour this season. Usually a desperate player is a good player.

Having said that, most of our new signings (on good secure contracts) have been playing out of their skins also.

Its taken a while, but I think that its all starting to fall into place for Cleary. I think that with Ivan, Fairleigh, Barrett, Brennan, Ron Palmer and of course Gus on board, we have one of the best off-field line-ups in the comp.

Big Mick

Referee
Hang on Franklin...last week we were saying if we can win our home games & then jag a win at Kogarah or Canberra then it'd prove it...and we have jagged that win at Kogarah now.

But now we are moving the goal posts to include the Titans along with suggesting that players are playing well just to get signed. I wasn't expecting a win at Kogarah and it bloody surprised me along with how it was done.

I think we have to give credit where credit is due...we haven't seen the team play like this in a long time...and a lot of players have been off-contract in the past & haven't played this well.

Judging by what the under contract players are saying and playing like I think it's safe to say that he isn't a dud.

The players you've mentioned have contributed yes, but so has everyone else imo.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I said we can't lose more then 2 of the next 6. Still is the case. That win is cancelled out if we lose to either dreadful Tigers or Parra.

Whether we make the finals this year isn't the issue. Looking on the table we play teams realistically we should beat. These are the games we would lose in the past. Well drilled teams beat teams under them on the ladder. We are 1000% better then last bye.

Throw in 2 byes it's a test to keep some type of form that relates to the coaching staff & the training schedule etc.

While we are winning our 2nd halves have been poor in 3/5 games. Since the 'talk' Plum has cracked 200m twice. Simmons has 4 tries. Walsh has ran the ball. Even Kingston has starting running.

I hope it's the coaching taking affect. Though last time we had plenty off contract (2010) we were good also.

maple_69

Bench
It will be interesting to see where the goals posts have moved after those 6 games.
We carry on like this and win 4-5 games and we go into the last 7 games with one foot already in the door.
We'll see...

murraymob

Coach
I always thought that this was 1 factor going in our favour this season. Usually a desperate player is a good player.

Having said that, most of our new signings (on good secure contracts) have been playing out of their skins also.

Its taken a while, but I think that its all starting to fall into place for Cleary. I think that with Ivan, Fairleigh, Barrett, Brennan, Ron Palmer and of course Gus on board, we have one of the best off-field line-ups in the comp.

dont forget Alex Melvile

Graftonpanther

Juniors

Have to agree, this is a good coaching line up, from reports I have seen over the years Fairleigh and Barrett are thought very well of in the coaching ranks.

We all know you have to have the off field staff right to be any chance of being competitive, I think we are very well served in this area, this is starting to show on the filed now, IMO.

franklin2323

Immortal
It will be interesting to see where the goals posts have moved after those 6 games.

Using the 50% win as a guide for the 8. 4/6 will have us 4 wins short with 8 games left. GC & Canberra are around us and we play them so we will know more around that stage.

From my point of view. 4-6 proves we have good coaching staff.

After the bye we have Tigers. A game we are expected to win. In previous years these are the one's we lose.

So to turn up ready to play & get the job done is a good sign for me. 2 weeks later similar situation with the Dragons.

maple_69

Bench
Using the 50% win as a guide for the 8. 4/6 will have us 4 wins short with 8 games left. GC & Canberra are around us and we play them so we will know more around that stage.

From my point of view. 4-6 proves we have good coaching staff.

After the bye we have Tigers. A game we are expected to win. In previous years these are the one's we lose.

So to turn up ready to play & get the job done is a good sign for me. 2 weeks later similar situation with the Dragons.

Yeah agreed. I guess my main point was, without us getting too far ahead of ourselves at the moment, supposing we do come through those games with 4 wins and performing as well as we are at the moment, we will have to re-evaluate our expectations and goals for the season.

At the moment, I'd still be happy with 9th-12th, some good juniors being blooded later in the year and similar application and commitment being shown for the rest of the season.

If we're coming 7th or so at that stage and playing great, we may have to shelve blooding some of the guys and set some goals around reaching the second or third week of the finals and getting some big game experience into the team.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah agreed. I guess my main point was, without us getting too far ahead of ourselves at the moment, supposing we do come through those games with 4 wins and performing as well as we are at the moment, we will have to re-evaluate our expectations and goals for the season.

At the moment, I'd still be happy with 9th-12th, some good juniors being blooded later in the year and similar application and commitment being shown for the rest of the season.

If we're coming 7th or so at that stage and playing great, we may have to shelve blooding some of the guys and set some goals around reaching the second or third week of the finals and getting some big game experience into the team.

Even the 4 wins you can pencil in wont be easy

Tigers on paper are better then 15th. Could quite easily come out and blow us off the park.

Canberra we don't have the best record down there and they are a pretty good team on paper.

Bye again will stop our momentum.

Dragons again we will need to start well to not be blown off the park.

Titans in Darwin. Again Titans aren't a bad team and we don't know the heat and travel will affect us.

Parra- Another game we should win though they have been decent at home.

A minimum of 3/5 from those games should be a pass mark. Given we have no Origin distruptions and players coming back into the side at some stage. we get this we have been managed and coach well through a difficult part of the draw.

It will also sit us 9-8. Leaving only to win the remaining home games to make it. It should be the aim from that position

Worse case. We came into this year without only a handful of positions settled. Next year we have:

Moylan
Soward
??? John hopefully
Segeyaro

Whare/Roberts centre partnership

Matt Robinson/Docker used to 1st grade

Some very usless players gone

benntash

Juniors
Worst case scenario and we don't sign a half, would we be better off moving John to half with Soward at 5/8 or give Coote a crack at half with Soward?
With no other signings could this spine work?
1. Moylan
6. Soward
7. John
9. Segeyaro/Coote
13. Docker

murraymob

Coach
we are currently talking to a young hooker from the broncos so either him or fostor from windsor look likely to partner seg in the hooker role.It is interesting to see just where coote fits in

Copperhead

Juniors
1. Moylan
6. Soward
7. John
9. Segeyaro/Coote
13. Docker

I don't think he could handle the defensive load, and he doesn't really have the acceleration to trouble defences. Foster or Baptiste (if we get him) would both be better, and far cheaper.

benntash

Juniors
I know we are talking to other players but I was just putting the argument forward if there wasn't anymore signings. Also Coote is still contracted and unless released by the club he is to much of a talent to have playing at Windsor

maple_69

Bench
I really like Coote and wish we could find a place for him but the fact is he can play fullback and five eighth and we have better in front of him in those positions. Maybe halfback, maybe hooker and maybe wing if we were desperate, but we are not.
Honestly id love to see Melbourne pick him up to replace Widdop, he could become a very good cog for them and I think would have tye right attitude to perform under Bellamy.

franklin2323

Immortal
I know we are talking to other players but I was just putting the argument forward if there wasn't anymore signings. Also Coote is still contracted and unless released by the club he is to much of a talent to have playing at Windsor

Soward runs as much as Walsh if not less. So as a running 7 maybe though not sure about his passing game.